Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What do I need to replace if...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06 | 06:30 PM
jb86
Rookie

Default What do I need to replace if...

ok, my steering is tight and as straight as can be about 80% of the i'm driving time in my sc4, but occasionaly the front wheels will jerk out of alignment after going over a small bump or groove in the road. I'll have to wobble somewhat and straighten it back out, then it's fine again.....my question is, is this something cheap maybe bushing replacement or something more expensive like the whole steering rack?

thx
Old 04-21-06 | 08:22 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

I would start with the steering rack bushings, as that is what it sounds like to me. They are pretty cheap, and should to be pretty easy to install. Thats my next planned repair this weekend too. But you may have other worn out suspension parts as well if you havnt already replaced some of them . IE tie rod ends , ball joints , front LCA bushings etc.
Old 04-24-06 | 02:42 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

LCA's going bad can cause that too. Both my steering bushings and my LCA's were shot. Get the Daizen ones and either install it yourself (some work), or pay a shop to do it.
Old 04-25-06 | 09:02 AM
jb86
Rookie

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
LCA's going bad can cause that too. Both my steering bushings and my LCA's were shot. Get the Daizen ones and either install it yourself (some work), or pay a shop to do it.

there's a japanese auto shop less than half a mile away that i plan on taking parts to

which of these will make a bigger difference given my situation? :

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=21

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=21
Old 04-26-06 | 04:01 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

That sounds serious and I would check that problem out asap....Your wheel can move forward and back when reversing and then suddenly braking, that is the sign for worn out LCA bushings...Hiting a bump and wheels go out of allignment is more then worn bushings. I would check your chamber bolts to see if they are on tight and also check all your front end ball joints on your steering control arms...upper and lower. I would not drive the car......Good luck
Old 04-26-06 | 07:46 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I hate to keep arguing this, but I disagree that the car is undrivable. While you need to be more careful watching how the car behaves. When my LCA's were worn out my steering did those exact things you described, but they never jolted my car or turned the wheel enough to ever put me near crashing.
Old 04-27-06 | 11:51 AM
jb86
Rookie

Originally Posted by jibbby
That sounds serious and I would check that problem out asap....Your wheel can move forward and back when reversing and then suddenly braking, that is the sign for worn out LCA bushings...Hiting a bump and wheels go out of allignment is more then worn bushings. I would check your chamber bolts to see if they are on tight and also check all your front end ball joints on your steering control arms...upper and lower. I would not drive the car......Good luck
well I don't think the car is undriveable...like i said the steering is very tight and straight most of the time, it will just start to veer to the side, nothing i can't straighten out...

where is the best place to start looking for new LCA's? Is there a site where I can buy supra ones?