Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension Rebuilt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 10:23 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Rebuilt!

ok I got my front suspension rebuilt.. new outer tie rods, new upper control arms and new lower ball joints, and daizen sway bar bushings (OE) for front and rear - (i already have TEIN CS, and Cusco STB)

before I had this "clunking" sound when I would go up drive-way's and such and other bumps in the road. I had everything installed for $380 (the job took about 9 hours)

from what I can tell right now, the weird "clunking" sounds went away, and the steering feels smoother.. I'm gettin' an alignment tomorrow morning so I'll do another write-up after the alignment

I also have the Daizen Control Arm Bushing Kit but I opted not to have them installed because I already got new bushings (OEM) and all my other bushings are in good shape.. plus I don't know how stiff the ride will get and I don't want to lose the luxurious feel.
Old 04-27-06, 03:20 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You got new OEM bushings? I thought they were only sold as an intergrated piece with the control arms? Thats the reason why most people opt to go with the daizen bushings since it is much cheaper than gettin the new arms.
Old 04-27-06, 08:00 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

yes I got OEM bushings ~ only because I also got new upper control arms as well. I also bought the daizen bushing kit to put in maybe later or just sell.
Old 04-27-06, 08:35 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

So the Daizen bushings will stiffin up the front end? I thought Romil did a great write up on the install and it really tightened up the front end? I thought some members just did this upgrade.. Anyone want to chime in?
Old 04-27-06, 08:56 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

yes, the control arm bushing kit stiffens up the front end, I just don't know how stiff it feels and don't know if I want to do it yet because I already have new bushings and the lower control arm bushings are in good shape.
Old 04-27-06, 09:34 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently had the Daizen bushings installed. It doesn tighten the ride up but not so much where you would not be comfortable. I'm running on L-Tuned suspension and OEM 17" wheels. I think the ride actually got better. No more wandering, clunking.

The steering response is much more crisp than before.

I think this was one of th best mods I've performed on the car to date
Old 04-27-06, 11:12 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've replaced my control arms October '05 , spent over 1K for OEM parts and two weeks ago decided to replace them with Daizen kit, all i can say: there is big a** improvement over stock. I don't have to fight with seering wheel anymore left to right and vice versa. I think replacing castor arm bushing with Daizen might change ride quality a lil bit ( more harsh) due to Big piece solid rubber Daizen is made . I'm convinced that combination of Daizen upper control and lower control arm bushings with brand new OEM castor arm will do good job for you. I know it is sad taking brand new arms apart but thats what i did and i do NOT regreat at all.

After all, thats only me - you might feel different

Just an idea
Old 04-27-06, 11:23 AM
ndallas_gs
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking at doing the Daizen upgrade. I am in Dallas and the shops that will do this work want an hour of labor for each pair of bushings. Basically they have told me it is an all day job. $600-800 seems really high to me. Feedback.
Old 04-27-06, 11:26 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ndallas_gs
I'm looking at doing the Daizen upgrade. I am in Dallas and the shops that will do this work want an hour of labor for each pair of bushings. Basically they have told me it is an all day job. $600-800 seems really high to me. Feedback.
The price seems about right. I got mine for a killer deal. A buddy of mine got thme installed for 100 bucks.

Even If I had to pay 500 or 600 bucks I would. The mod is worth every penny.
Old 04-27-06, 01:14 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

ok i just got the alignment done... everything is MUCH better... steering is firmer, clunking is gone, feels a bit stiffer but that's only 'cause i got new parts.. i'm gonna do the daizen bushings a little later after the newer ones get kind of worn down.. and i feel a lot safer in the car, just the peace of mind that i know i had everything fixed.
Old 04-27-06, 02:31 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharizma
yes, the control arm bushing kit stiffens up the front end, I just don't know how stiff it feels and don't know if I want to do it yet because I already have new bushings and the lower control arm bushings are in good shape.

The stiffness is a mechancial description of what the bushings do. That shouldn't be confused with saying the "ride" is stiffer. If you have upgraded sways, lower profile tires and coilovers, those mods all add more ride stiffness than the bushings can by themselves.

There is a better steering feel and tightness. If you have a lot of the TOM's chassis braces the Daizen control arm bushings "will" add more stifness to the ride, but anyone with all the TOMs braces and STB's I consider already has a stiff ride, so adding the Dazens should not be objectionable to those folk.

You already paid how much for the upper a-arms, plus labor?

It has already been talked that the bushing labor and the Daizen bushings add up to about the same cost as buying new OEM a-arms with labor.

Could of saved some money not buying the a-arms. It doesn't make sense if you are considering taking them back out to install the Daizen bushings.

Well you have cheap hook up for labor , so for you , you might be able to get away with it.
Old 04-27-06, 06:47 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ndallas_gs
ndallas, what places did you get a quote from? Did you try JPI? I am interested in having this done as well. Maybe we can get several people from the Dallas area together and get a shop to do several installs at a discount price. What do you think?
Old 04-27-06, 07:20 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

hmm.. so i should or shouldn't put in the daizen bushings, RMMGS4?

you're saying the steering will feel stiffer but not the ride quality? but i've read other people that had these installed and they said the ride actually got stiffer and some of the road harshness was transferred into the cabin..? iono maybe i'm mis-reading lol
Old 04-27-06, 09:18 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharizma
hmm.. so i should or shouldn't put in the daizen bushings, RMMGS4?

you're saying the steering will feel stiffer but not the ride quality? but i've read other people that had these installed and they said the ride actually got stiffer and some of the road harshness was transferred into the cabin..? iono maybe i'm mis-reading lol

If low profile tires and stiffer sways don't bother you, it's a guess that bushings won't bother you.
Out of most suspension mods availble for the GS, the bushings are pretty low on the list for adding stiffness to the ride.

Those who commented on feeling stiffer, how much stiffer? Yes , it can transfer to the cabin, just like every other suspension mod. Everyone has a different definition and it depends on what other mods you have that will add up to more cabin transfer. We can only get so far with this discussion.

Just like every other mod, only you can decide what is right for you. I guess you'll have to ride in someones car with bushings to find out before installing.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-27-06 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-27-06, 10:08 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

hmm i don't have new sways, just sway bushings... with the TEIN's, they feel like stock almost i guess i might just put them in since i bought them anyways haha thanks RMM