Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake light problem on the IS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 09:20 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light problem on the IS?

I ran a quick search but didnt come up with anything.

Yesterday I was reversing out of my driveway and my dad was watching from behind. He noticed I had shifted into reverse and the reverse lights were on but none of the brake lights lit up... not until half way out of the driveway did they light up. I know I was on the brake the whole time. I wouldnt shift the car from P to N and start moving w/out using the brake... especially on a automatic. Manual I might be able to do that.

Also i noticed at night that the brake lights arent very sensitive... my foot will be on the brake but the brake lights wont come on unless I'm pressing like maybe an inch into the brake pedal. Other cars the slightest touch on the brake pedal and the brake lights will be on.

Ok heres the kicker. my dad said he heard on the radio today that there are problems reported on the IS of the brake lights failing to light up.

Anyone else heard of this? or noticed that their brake lights dont come on all the time or is not sensitive enough?
Old 05-03-06, 09:38 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Yup. .
Old 05-03-06, 09:45 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wah... haven't heard about that yet. I'll check tomorrow...
Old 05-03-06, 10:08 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ehhhhhh? Uhhh....say wat? Never heard of this.
Old 05-03-06, 10:32 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I'm not sure myself either... but I think its an intermittant problem. you really wont notice unless your looking for it. So thats why Im asking to see if anyone else heard or have the problem... either that or its just my car.
Old 05-03-06, 11:07 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Ya i noticed that too......i think the brake lights are just not sensitive. I noticed this when cars are behind me and i can see the reflection of my brake lights on their cars only when i press the brakes in like 1/3 the way.......i was kinda dissappointed, but ehh i got over it
Old 05-04-06, 06:02 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

Isn't that kind of unsafe? Shouldn't someone behind you know if you are slowing down, even slighty. I am paranoid about bad drivers rear ending me!
Old 05-04-06, 06:30 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Does anyone here have a subscription to TIS (the online service manual)? It may be an easy adjustment. On the "old school cars", it was just an adjustable microswitch that contacts the brake pedal.
Old 05-04-06, 07:25 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bengalfang
Isn't that kind of unsafe? Shouldn't someone behind you know if you are slowing down, even slighty. I am paranoid about bad drivers rear ending me!

Exactlly! Me too! I want my brake light to come on as soon as theres any sign of braking... I want to give other bad drivers as MUCH warning as possible.

Sensitivity is one thing. but not lighting up at all is another and thats what concerns me the most.
Old 05-04-06, 07:40 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

yea well i see the upside ... if i am going down the road by myself and speeding...like always... and my radar detector goes off i can tap my brake and slow down with out the cops seening me break....lol I love it
Old 05-05-06, 10:48 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Anyone check their brake lights more carefully?
Old 05-05-06, 11:14 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My brake lights are extremely sensitive to the pedal. Even the slightest push and they turn on.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-05-06, 11:42 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

There are two switches on the pedal. One operates the lights. The other signals the ECU.
Old 05-06-06, 01:48 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Mine are extremely sensitive, a light touch could turn them on. No problems for me so far... if they do go out, I have full coverage incase someone hits me from behind lol.
Old 05-07-06, 07:42 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Ok I did more testing today. it seems as the brake pedel is just not sentitive at all. I can reverse and move forward holding the brake w/out the lights comming on. I can even hold the car still in D or R using the minimal amount of force on the brakes to hold the car still and the lights arnt on. I really have to be ON the brakes in order for the lights to come on. This only happens in D or R. In P the brake lights are normal. Normal sensitivity.

Someone try it. Have someone stand behind you and in R or D ride on the brakes lightly to roll back or move forward test the sensitivity of the brakes.

Then with the car stopped ease off the brakes and see if theres a point where the car is still stopped by the brakes but the lights are off.

I dont think this is normal. any grab on the brakes the lights should be on. but thats not the case... I can get the brakes to hold the car still but the ligths arnt on.

This might be a problem at a stop light if someone is light on the brake pedal and is able to hold the car still but the lights arnt on someone might rear end you.

Quick Reply: Brake light problem on the IS?