Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tanabe NF210

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 12:58 AM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I short-cut the swaybar terms. I actually changed the swaybar links, and not the swaybars. I've previously stated the swaybar links. Anyway, you're right about Carfax that it's a good idea to check with it for some info. about the car history. Realistically, Carfax can't have all the complete info. about all cars. Although the California DMV requires every car accident with more than $500 in property damage will have to be reported, the truth is not every car owner does this, including the insurance companies. That's where the misinformation is. And so when Carfax gets the info. from the DMV, it can't have all complete history. However, this is not the debate that you and I are into.

I don't know if you are a humorous person, which I think you are. That's why you still tease me by the statement "These Lexus cars are not like that, some older chevy trucks come to mind, maybe you are getting chevy truck bushings confused with these? Not sure here. Maybe an 80's Chrysler car? Those are like that too, maybe you are confusing the SC300 with a Chrysler LeBaron setup? I don't know....etc. Oh Todd! (Everyone knows you're popular.) It might be a good idea if you open a Joke Telling School and blend it in with your mechanic tech. I'll join you. It won't matter if I can be your colleague or student. Or who knows I'll just be a reporter/free lancer for you.

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh
Ok, i'm not sure if you are understanding the technical terms we are using here so let's go over them again.

Sway bars will not change a car's height (unless they are bent or mangled or something - if so, you've got some other issues!)

When you say you want to fix sagging, that would be considered the same as changing (raising) the ride height. This would be a consensus among those of us who are experts. Not sure about Tanabe but I think they are experts too and would agree. There is no disagreement here that I can foresee about this statement.

Now you say clearly here that you want to change your sway bar hardware to fix "sagging" - which is exactly what you just wrote above, which means you changed your sway bar hardware to try fix your ride height. This won't happen, as at both static and on flat, a sway bar moves freely together up and down on both left and right sides, at least at normal ride height. This is true as long as there is no binding. Some cars use a bushing on the end, which does bind at each end of travel, but this does not apply here. Maybe you are just getting confused with this. These Lexus cars are not like that, some older chevy trucks come to mind, maybe you are getting chevy truck bushings confused with these? Not sure here. Maybe an 80's Chrysler car? Those are like that too, maybe you are confusing the SC300 with a Chrysler LeBaron setup? I don't know.

And the statement about overlowering (which is not a word BTW, I just made it up for convenience). The front drops more than the rear, but you say the front is ok and the back is too low. Maybe your car is a salvage wreck or something? Sometimes that happens and people don't realize it. It may have been totalled and fixed and people with untrained eyes cannot tell right away. You should run a Carfax to see, even though that still won't reveal a whole lot. Maybe your car was driven over a curb before you bought it. That might do it too. You should ask the previous owner if they drove over a curb.

Man, I hope your car is ok, you should have it checked at a body shop just to make sure.
Old 05-26-06, 02:40 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSpeed
I short-cut the swaybar terms. I actually changed the swaybar links, and not the swaybars.
Right, anything related to the sway bars, the links, the bushings, will NOT change the ride height, either up or down. I am really confused as to why you would change these things to fix any sagging. It won't change anything, no matter what.

This is where I am REALLY confused. You are confusing people on here too by saying that the sway bar parts will fix your suspension height, this a great concern.

So anyways, maybe your car is a salvage, you really should check that out. That might be the cause of your suspension problems.
Old 05-26-06, 04:14 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh
...So anyways, maybe your car is a salvage, you really should check that out. That might be the cause of your suspension problems....
My car doesn't have a salvage title. It's clean and clear from the DMV. But who knows it's been hit before. As I mentioned above, the DMV doesn't always have complete info. of the car history. I wish that I can see another SC with the Tanabe springs on a flat ground so that I might start saying all the great things about these Tanabe springs. Also, I would take every of your words for this matter...I need some proofs.
Old 05-26-06, 04:32 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

That's really strange that the anti-swaybar makes a noticeable change in the height of your car.

Stabilizers usually only make very minute changes in alignment, but changes in height doesn't sound right at all.

Seems like there might be some particularities with your car/chassis. It would sure explain why you're experiencing something much different than what the majority of positive reviews on these springs.
Old 05-26-06, 10:37 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
That's really strange that the anti-swaybar makes a noticeable change in the height of your car.

Stabilizers usually only make very minute changes in alignment, but changes in height doesn't sound right at all.

Seems like there might be some particularities with your car/chassis. It would sure explain why you're experiencing something much different than what the majority of positive reviews on these springs.
Did you ever see a bent swaybar link? I guess changing a bent swaybar link to a new and straight one would somewhat answer your statement. If you search for some old threads, you'll see many people having the problem of lop-sided sides of the SC. It usually happens on the driver side and makes that side about 1/2" lower than the passenger. The common mistake was the incorrect position of the links. What I say here is the links can change the height definitely. If you want, I can search and link that thread for you. Nonetheless, what I emphasize is the springs.

I don't know what you mean by the "Majority of People" having positive reviews on these springs, and even they do, you should specify what positive points they have. I'm saying this for the last time, I'm too tired of saying again and again, that I like the ride of the springs (smooth & control) and the front height, except the rear height. I'm not talking anyone in to take my idea because everyone has his/her preference. Some may be ok with the uneven height like those BMWs, and some may not. I'm just tired of debating with this old things again and again, unless some exciting things come up.
Old 05-29-06, 07:31 AM
hitsolid
Driver School Candidate

My 93 SC300 has Tanabe NF210’s and Tokico blues. These are stock, 15-inch wheels with 215, 60 series tires. I am very pleased with the ride. It is much better at speed (65+ mph) and a whole lot better on LA freeways. It actually seems smoother than stock over the expansion joints and the car no longer seems to float when running 75 to 85 mph. As far as overall performance, imho there is no downside to this setup. No passengers have ever mentioned the car being stiff. However, if you want a lower drop, or the ability to change ride height, this is not the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails Tanabe NF210-100_0046-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-29-06, 07:32 AM
hitsolid
Driver School Candidate

another shot
Attached Thumbnails Tanabe NF210-100_0047-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-29-06, 09:48 AM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

It still look very high to me....
Maybe angle of the photo??
Old 05-29-06, 07:39 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skpark70
It still look very high to me....
Maybe angle of the photo??
Its the fact that they are 15's with pretty small tires that make that gap pretty big. I have the stock 16's and its much better. I'm going to take a few pics tonight when I get a chance.
Old 05-29-06, 10:15 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Many thanks to "hitsolid" for your pictures. I agree with you all the way and I really appreciate for "your light in the night". And so with "DoobleWhoosh" and "Tanabe", you can see that I'm not making fun of you. The rear of the Tanabe springs sits lower than the front. It has smaller gap than the front, which is not even and the same as when I had these springs on. That means my SC is normal and has no problem with the chassis & suspension. And so you can't attack about my own problem anymore.

"Kratos" is right. It looks high but it's not high. It's ok for the front but is low for the rear. If "hitsolid" has 18" or 19" wheels, then his car will look a lot better. I'm positive that he'll get those wheels sometimes soon, and maybe will change out to adjustable coilover system.
Old 05-30-06, 07:37 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Here is a pic of my SC300 withTanabe/Tokico combo.
You noticed front sits little bit higher than the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Tanabe NF210-june302006-187.jpg  
Old 05-30-06, 11:34 PM
kratos
Pole Position

I just realised how bad these pics are but you get the idea:

With the Tanabe's and stock shocks (for now)
Old 05-31-06, 06:05 AM
scsrock
Pole Position

The drop is actually very good, and you still have room for 18" wheels.
Old 05-31-06, 11:24 AM
kratos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scsrock
The drop is actually very good, and you still have room for 18" wheels.
Actually, I'm doing 19" staggards with big momma lips.
Old 06-30-06, 02:15 PM
THINKtank
Driver

Originally Posted by skpark70
Here is a pic of my SC300 withTanabe/Tokico combo.
You noticed front sits little bit higher than the rear.
very sexy.

Quick Reply: Tanabe NF210