Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coil Over Kit ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06 | 01:34 PM
Smooth1
Rookie

Default Coil Over Kit ??'s

I wanted some information in regards to coilover kits. I would like to apologize for my ignorance in this matter. I have had several cars lowered in the past and probably lowered the cars the wrong way hence the bad ride quality. Initially I did not want to lower the car but the gap between the wheel well is really bothering me and I am a very picky person so now I am considering lowering the car. This time if I do lower it I would like to retain the ride characteristics that the car currently displays. There are a couple of questions that I have and would appreciate any help or input on this matter.

1. Is the suspension adjustable in terms of ride height ( lower or raise on demand )
2. Is the suspension adjustable in terms of ride quality ( adjusting ride quality example soft or stiff )

This is what I would like my car to look like.
Thanks in advance Smooth.
Attached Thumbnails Coil Over Kit ??'s-front-drop-1-inch-3.jpg  
Old 05-06-06 | 06:12 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

great post . . . i am starting to look into coilovers as well and am curious. . .
Old 05-06-06 | 06:39 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

The answer is....it depends.

There are lots of variations of coilovers out there...cars that lend themselves to being favorites of track day enthusiasts tend of have more options for suspension. Some coilover kits offer both ride height and damping adjustment, some kits offer just one or the other. If your bank account is large enough and you really want to go nuts, start shopping for remote-reservoir coilover kits.

If you want adjustability on the fly (remove wheel and adjust the suspension on the car), it can get expensive. Lots of kits require suspension removal in order to make changes. Others have a variety of springs of different rates to help keep the car as close to neutral as possible...i.e. lower spring rates in the front with higher spring rates in the back will help some if your car understeers. The car I'm getting rid of (B5 A4 1.8T quattro) understeers a lot on stock suspension...so I selected staggered springs of 450 lb (front) and 500 lb (rear) and an adjustable rear antisway bar set to stiff, which makes the car almost completely neutral.

If you're just after a certain look, I'm not sure coilovers are for you.
Old 05-06-06 | 11:04 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

If you're looking for coilovers, I advice you to wait a little more for Tien's whole struts/coilover kit in the summer. If not, go with the regular Eibach springs.
Old 05-07-06 | 11:31 AM
Smooth1
Rookie

Default Megan Racing

Does anybody have any experience with this company.
Here is a little sniplet that I found.

Megan Racing Coil-Over Dampers are the ultimate upgrade to your track or street car. Featuring 32 Levels of damper force adjustment, full-height adjustment, these damper kits are then perfectly matched with front and rear Pillow Ball upper mounts for camber correction in most applications.

The adjustment of the damper is as simple as can be with a built-in **** at the top of the damper mount for easy access. Simple adjustments can be made to tune to your style of driving and comfort level desired. Single-Adjustable dampers make suspension adjustments easy to tune whether you’re a professional mechanic or an automotive enthusiast with amateur mechanical skills.

The height adjustment is made easy with CNC-Machined locking perches for accuracy and smooth adjustment. You can raise your car up to factory height for OEM appearance with performance handling or you can drop your car all the way down for a formal racetrack and an aggressive stance lowering your center of gravity to gain full potential of your car’s handling capabilities.

On most applications, the Megan Racing Damper Kits come with fully adjustable Pillow-Ball upper mounts to easily tune and adjust your camber. Adjustable camber gives you an edge on most suspension setups, as you can easily tune your car for any ride height which improves handling, predictability and furthermore tire wear, which is a great benefit both on the racetrack and on the street.
Old 05-07-06 | 11:40 AM
RealNinjuz
Rookie

I was looking into them, but I just kind of decided that I would rather wait for the tein coilovers.

Now the megan racing headers....
Old 05-07-06 | 01:06 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

coilovers arent for you if you are concerned about the wheel gap and retaining the stock ride quality.

coilovers are really only necessary if you are going to be tracking your car.