Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Reducing Wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 01:27 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lsflame
They have a delrin center section and that is not as good as the steel ones inthe Daizen bushings. They say not to over tigthten or mushrooming may occur. what kind of crap is that?
I don't understand your comment...I actually used the Daisen bushings and those bushings mushroomed big time on me and have way too much poly rubber in my opinion.....The Daisens maybe good for Luxury but not for performance in my opinion.......This bushing should not mushroom as the poly rubber is harder then the Daisen rubber... The center core ring is made of steel, except the rack and pinion bushings, which appears to be a harden plastic of some sort, and I don't know what Delrin is....

I am not a bushing expert, and am only commenting after actually using all bushings...I don't know the companies that make them and don't care too or how the bushings are made...However, I do know what the ride feels like with Daisen's bushings, New OEM bushings, and now these...That is all, just reporting my findings and sharing with others....

I must say in all honesty that I don't like to see one option or a monopoly on bushings like Daisens have become...I like to see competition as it brings lower prices and better products for everyone...Just look at DVD players, DSL services, etc.. Competition is good for everyone but the businesses ......I happen to be in the "everyone" catagory.....

Last edited by jibbby; 05-15-06 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-15-06, 06:22 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone tried those battleversion arms?
Old 05-15-06, 11:57 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96sc3
has anyone tried those battleversion arms?
I have a set...just put them on, so no real world experience yet. I have never had problems with wheel hop, nothing but traction problems.

gadgetSC-t

Last edited by gadgetSC; 05-16-06 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-16-06, 08:59 AM
ridox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gadgetSC
I have a set...just put them on, so no real world experience yet. I have never had problems with wheel hop, nothing but traction problems.

gadgetSC-t
do you have both the Rear Traction Links and Rear Toe Links? i plan on getting the rear traction links verry soon and a alignment/cornerballance so let me know pls.
Old 05-24-06, 03:59 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Originally Posted by ridox
do you have both the Rear Traction Links and Rear Toe Links? i plan on getting the rear traction links verry soon and a alignment/cornerballance so let me know pls.
I have the traction links.....considering the toe links also.

gadgetSC-t
Old 10-27-07, 07:33 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Reviving this thread to seeking updates and what's been learned.

I have rear wheel hop problems in first and especially second gear on boost. In wet its even worse. Running 255/40-17 Falken Azenis RT-615.

I've got MKIV Supra TT rear sway bar with new eom TT subframe mounts. Is my only option LCAs or coilovers? Gadget used those cool as **** Battle Versions but stated he never had hop issues.

(Let Jibby back on here, he had great threads before he got banned!)
Old 10-27-07, 08:23 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I perked up when I saw this thread. As I keep making my car faster my wheel hop keeps getting worse, and I fear that as soon as I install my PT67 NA-T kit that it's just going to start breaking things.

Megan makes traction arms and links that look like the Battle Version ones for less money, but once again I'd like to hear some feedback before I go spend money on it. I'll look into those ADUS bushings as well.
Old 10-28-07, 08:13 PM
Grimmig13
Driver School Candidate

More often than not those aftermarket arms are just lighter with stiffer bushings. Lighter arms aren't going to do much to affect wheel hope, and if it's the bushings in your control arms that are causing your wheel hop you've got much bigger issues, and have probably already caused alot of damage. I haven't gotten to play with an SC300 yet, but IRS will ALWAYS be prone to wheel hope that's just the nature of the beast. Some of the best ways to reduce it are stiffer dampers(edit for clarification: NOT stiffer springs, those make hope worse, stiffer dampers make it better , followed by subframe bushings. My 240 launches hard when it hooks and when I do break them loose I still get some hop, but my urethane sub-frame bushings all but stopped it for me.
Old 10-28-07, 09:02 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

EDIT: >Wheel Hop Issue Solved<

Installed Energy Polyurethane Rear Sway Bar Bushings, 7/8", part 9.5158R ($17 at Autozone), ENDED WHEEL HOP ! , vanished, did I say Gone!

Swaybar Bushings-- $12.99 -- Energy Suspension-- Installed and awesome--

Rear Sway Bar Bushing were mush.

Last edited by SCoupe; 11-15-07 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 11:53 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Grimmig13
Some of the best ways to reduce it are stiffer dampers(edit for clarification: NOT stiffer springs, those make hope worse, stiffer dampers make it better , followed by subframe bushings.
Good point. A friend of mine has a TT Supra with adjustable shocks and Eibach springs, and after doing some research we stiffened up the rear a bunch and softened up the front. He originally had it full soft in the rear and full stiff up front in the thoughts that he wanted the car to squat.

With it stiff in rear the energy that would be pushing the back of the car down was instead transferred to the wheels, and it hooked hard enough to break the rear end.

I'm hopefully getting my hands on some used Mickey Thompson drag radials, they're on their last legs but are still in much better shape than the completely gone ES1000's I have on the back now.
Old 02-25-08, 07:54 PM
2jznat
Pole Position

any updates on this?
Old 02-25-08, 08:06 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Look into the Megan Racing traction bars. A guy on SupraForums said it helped a lot with his wheel hop issues. I have a set on my car now, but it hasn't come down off of the jackstands yet to be able to give a good review. The car will have 3.76 gears and LSD as well, so hopefully it comes out pretty good without hopping itself to death.
Old 02-25-08, 11:08 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Almost 2 years later I have had no problems with wheel hop. I have much more power with the stroked motor and even more problems with traction. New wheels and tires are on my list of mods now. The CCW drag setup comes to mind

gadgetSC
Old 02-26-08, 10:37 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gadgetSC
Almost 2 years later I have had no problems with wheel hop. I have much more power with the stroked motor and even more problems with traction. New wheels and tires are on my list of mods now. The CCW drag setup comes to mind

gadgetSC
Do it, that'd be amazing.
Old 02-26-08, 04:35 PM
2jznat
Pole Position

did the bushings today, pain in the *** with twin 3" exhaust. hard to get the new ones to compress to get the bolts started.

Quick Reply: Reducing Wheel hop?