Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Reducing Wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 06:24 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing Wheel hop?

Ok on my SC400 one year ago I ran a Kaaz LSD with stock sc430 rear tires and with brand new Eibach springs and tomico shocks...What I got out of that setup was massive wheel hop and even got sideways in first gear and a little in second while riding the nitrous coming out of the blocks...

Since then I went with the Torsen LSD, and have now broken in the Eibachs and tomico.shocks...also have put fat rear tires on the back and am now running lower profile tires on the rears then what is running of the fronts which helps with rear weight transfer...Now I get just a hair of wheel hop only in first... I realise coilovers with dampening capabilities will elliminate the wheel hop completely, but then my handling will suffer.....

My question is there anyway to eliminate or reduce wheel hop without sacrificing handling performance in the sc's? Anyone?

Last edited by jibbby; 05-12-06 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-12-06, 10:23 AM
jibbby

No one on this forum has wheel hop? I find that hard to believe....Talk to me fellas....... I just found out on another forum worn out rear control arm bushings can be a major cause to wheel hop....Changing to Titan Alluminum rear bushings erased wheel hop in one powerful SC300TT........I never considered bushings to be the culprit in regards to wheel hop...Learn something new everyday,,.,,,

For those that don't know what wheel hop is....when you have enough power to spin your rear wheels the back end tends bounce, hop, or skip as apposed to a smooth burnout.... Alot of older 5.O Mustangs experienced wheel hop at take offs because of their almost weightless tailend...The Sc's also have a very light tailend..
Old 05-12-06, 10:31 AM
bmatsu
Driver

Yes change your LCA's and UCA 's bushings, to Diazen poly bushings, it will definately help the wheel hop, and still give you some streetability compared to solid bushings. Unless you do not have any kidneys.

Sounds like you are getting close to a fix.
Old 05-12-06, 10:36 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

polyurethane bushings have helped a lot in all cars i've used. i can't give too much input bc my main car is a v6 FWD. with that i utilize poly bushings/engine mounts, torque dampers, and a few other things. but that wouldn't really apply here. although the poly bushings would probably help a lot, just pinpoint where you need them bc they will hurt the ride if you go all out on it.
Old 05-12-06, 11:37 AM
jibbby

Thanks for the replies, I was starting to wonder if anyone knew what I was talking about....Anyway, I do have kidneys and do like how they function, so poly bushings are the call...Lower and upper rear control arms....

The funny thing is I changed the front LCA 's and all the front end bushings and decided not to do the rears...Too much work and I didn't think it would make a difference... I will give it a go, thanks...
Old 05-12-06, 12:08 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

you could give these a stab, they look promising IMO
http://www.battleversion.com/MKIVrear.htm
Old 05-12-06, 06:08 PM
jibbby

HI xir.....

Those rear arms would look awefully nice on the SC's...The only problem is that price of $550...

I am going to try these nascar poly bushings that are made for the SC's...They are a little stiffer then the Daisen bushings and should help.... If that doesn't eiliminate the wheel hop completely I will then go for those sweet looking arms.. Good find.....
Attached Thumbnails Reducing Wheel  hop?-picture-168.jpg  
Old 05-14-06, 12:03 AM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you get them installed yet? Where did you get those nascar bushings?

I also lowered the rear tire pressure and that almost eliminated the wheel hop!
Old 05-14-06, 12:40 AM
ridox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.battleversion.com/MKIVrear.htm
Old 05-14-06, 10:07 AM
jibbby

Default ADUS Bushings

This complete set of stiffer polly bushings are made by ADUS, Cheaper and will out perform the Daisens.....Complete sets have been manufatured for Supra's and Lexus SC's...Steering rack, UCA and LCA's... They were once selling on Ebay and still might be...I got this complete set from a friend that works with Nascar development and engine builiding...

Those red arms look so sweet....Is anyone running these battleversion alluminum arms? What is your take, strong, excellent ride quality, etc.?

Adus bushings pics...
Attached Thumbnails Reducing Wheel  hop?-hpim0407.jpg  
Old 05-14-06, 10:15 AM
jibbby

Close up pic showing the brand and model bushings... Go google search for "ADUS Bushings"...In my opinion these bushings are way better then the spungy and over rubbery Daisens and should be less costly too. These bushings are very simular to the Supra OEM bushing in regards to ride quality.. Stiffer and more responsive..
Attached Thumbnails Reducing Wheel  hop?-hpim0410.jpg  
Old 05-15-06, 12:38 AM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by jibbby
Close up pic showing the brand and model bushings... Go google search for "ADUS Bushings"...In my opinion these bushings are way better then the spungy and over rubbery Daisens and should be less costly too. These bushings are very simular to the Supra OEM bushing in regards to ride quality.. Stiffer and more responsive..

They have a delrin center section and that is not as good as the steel ones inthe Daizen bushings. They say not to over tigthten or mushrooming may occur. what kind of crap is that?
Old 05-15-06, 08:40 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lsflame
They have a delrin center section and that is not as good as the steel ones inthe Daizen bushings. They say not to over tigthten or mushrooming may occur. what kind of crap is that?
if done properly i dont see a problem but i would do more recearch on the company and its quality. but from what has been said here there doesnt seem to be a problem especialy with a nascar background. and the trailing arms look like good pieces.
maybe we just need some hardcore ladder bars haha
on and keep posting on how it all turns out because i have soem nasty wheel hop in the rain, so i need a good solution as well.
Old 05-15-06, 11:02 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Whiteline is also an option.
Old 05-15-06, 11:12 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

rear subframe bushings helped my wheel hop issues on my s13. Perhaps it would help the SC as well.

Quick Reply: Reducing Wheel hop?