Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowered suspension drift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 06:16 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered suspension drift?

It is my understanding that when you lower the SC's with the EIbach or ESpier springs you will get steering wheel drift while driving on the freeway... I get drift with the Eibachs on the freeway slightly where the car wants to drift one way or the other, not a big deal but is annoying at times........Wondering if there is a way to correct that....and does that happen with lowered coilovers too? Anyone.
Old 05-12-06, 11:58 PM
slo86
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uneven tire pressure will cause steering drift as well. make sure your tire pressure is the same from left to right.
Old 05-13-06, 09:41 AM
jibbby

Tire tire pressure is fine....this is a common problem that occures when lowering the vehicle with Eibach springs.....
Old 06-01-06, 12:36 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jibbby
Tire tire pressure is fine....this is a common problem that occures when lowering the vehicle with Eibach springs.....

Not on a properly lowered car with proper alignment and tire pressure and proper setup of wheel and tire. Check your tie rods and your bushings. Then get a good alignment and avoid the excessive negative camber that people run to be "JDM FLUSH" that makes a big difference.
Old 06-01-06, 01:24 PM
jibbby

Originally Posted by lsflame
Not on a properly lowered car with proper alignment and tire pressure and proper setup of wheel and tire. Check your tie rods and your bushings. Then get a good alignment and avoid the excessive negative camber that people run to be "JDM FLUSH" that makes a big difference.
Pal thanks for the input, but......I have over a 1 inch drop with the EIbachs springs, new bushings were replaced , new Supra LCA's and perfect allignment were done and I still get freeway drift... This is common when using lowering springs..... Coilovers don't give you the drift....

Last edited by jibbby; 06-01-06 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 03:09 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm guessing it could be due to the inability to adjust the spring/height to equal out on both sides. For example, say springs are equaled out all around. But that doesn't take into account driver's weight or any other variations of added weight to one side or another. Like if we have a 200lb driver, obviously it's going to be lower on the left side and tend to drift to the left because of that. The only thing that I can think of is to have a proper alignment with the weight of the driver in the car. Over an inch drop means you'll need a camber kit and without a camber kit, there's no way to get the alignment back to proper specs to avoid drift.

My friend's GS was aligned and corner balanced and you can easily notice the difference in stance when not moving. He's a pretty big guy so the specs had to adjust to his weight. I noticed the difference when I drove and I'm a lot smaller than him so it's pretty much all on alignment.

Running negative camber would reduce some of the tread on the asphalt and i would expect that to lead to it being easier for the tire to follow road imperfections as well.
Old 06-01-06, 04:45 PM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

What about tires???
Old 06-01-06, 06:22 PM
jibbby

I weight about 225lbs so weight could be a factor, but everyone I know has reported Steering drift on the lowering springs and I know a lot of people... It definetely has to do with the front drop and suspension combination...,Not the tires or allignment... Only on the freeway do I notice it and it really is not that big a deal... I just don't understand why the coilovers don't experience the same problem after lowering?????
Old 06-01-06, 07:05 PM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

thats weird... maybe Eibach suck?? j/k
Old 06-01-06, 07:22 PM
jibbby

Yeah Eibachs suck but they handle crazy.....Other brands get drift too....
Old 06-01-06, 07:48 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I love my Eibachs.. I have ZERO, NADA, NO Drift with my springs. and it's exactly 1" drop on my car.

Car drives great and handles great.

I'm also running 255s on the rear and 235s on the front
Old 06-02-06, 02:41 AM
ridox
Driver

i had a similar problem but it had nothing to do with my coilovers. it was my steering rack bushings one had completely no rubber at all and one was just about ready to fall off (bolt was loose). i got the Daizen rack bushings kit from tmengineering and got them installed and no more loose steering.
Old 06-02-06, 10:46 AM
jibbby

I think I have the Supra Eibachs which is more like 2" drop and I sure get the freeway drift...I have not changed out my sway bushings yet.....I wonder if that will help...

My guess anything lower then a one inch drop you start getting the steering drift....I would love to figure out this monster...So many others get the drift too..not just me...