Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installing Tanabe NF210 springs on my IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 07:05 AM
LexusSara
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ^saint
Ok to the matter at hand though...there are many of us IS250AWD guys that want to lower the car. What kind of springs can we use? Or would it just be better for a full coilover set?

I am having a company put the NF210 on my 250 awd this comming tuesday.

I will do pictures and let you know. I am picky, so I can let you know how it went.

as far as TRD springs go, I don't see any for a while. I hate the stance of the stock awd, so this is the best solution i can find. I did ask some really great auto gurus here, and they think this will be a 100% solution.
Old 05-18-06, 09:11 AM
^saint
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sara, please keep me updated on the feel and quality. Also on the amount of drop, does anyone know will 19's still be ok with these springs? I hate having a car that sits so high and do not mind loosing a little smoothness for something stiffer. The AWD handles great but still has some roll and flex in the body in the corners and I want to fix this.
Old 05-18-06, 09:48 AM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ^saint
Sara, please keep me updated on the feel and quality. Also on the amount of drop, does anyone know will 19's still be ok with these springs? I hate having a car that sits so high and do not mind loosing a little smoothness for something stiffer. The AWD handles great but still has some roll and flex in the body in the corners and I want to fix this.
I don't know if I'd lower using the NF series on 19s. I bet Tanabe thinks it will be okay, but personally, I'd go for the GF springs if you insist on using sub-$200 springs.

On a car as nice as ours, for the money we spent on the car itself, the car deserves the best suspension available. I believe that you really "get what you pay for" in realm of aftermarket car parts. Tanabe will work great for some, but not for others.

The best suspension available for the IS, in my opinion, is the JIC Magic FLT-A2 Coilover system. (I had this on my last vehicle). Caveat being that coilovers have such a high degree of adjustability, that they can be setup right for pure ecstacy or pure misery.

So far, I have not heard of anyone installing new struts with their aftermarket springs (except in the case of coilovers - where the strut is built in to the setup). Without replacing the struts, the life of the factory struts will be reduced with a lowered ride height.

Good luck on your suspensions, I am sure some of you will love the Tanabe NF springs, while others will have a similar experience to mine. Personally, I would not chance soft sub-$200 springs on my $44k vehicle, but that's just me. I'd save those springs for my beaters.

-Brian
Old 05-18-06, 11:16 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

There are actually quite a lot of owners with a very aggressive drop using the DF210's and they have 19" wheels and are not experiencing any rubbing issues. When in doubt, search! Plenty of threads abound regarding that setup.

The NF210's shouldn't be an issue at all as long as your wheel and tire sizing is correct.

rys>

Springs are not expensive to produce. While price can sometimes be an indicator of quality, it is not always the case. I don't think the price has anything to do with the quality of Tanabe springs, as they have always been well regarded among CL members, not to mention a very well established Japanese manufacturer.

I think your bad experience with the Scion tC is more a result of your custom wheel and tire sizes, and possibly a misunderstanding about the NF210 spring. On the Tanabe site, http://www.tanabe-usa.com/springs/nf210.asp it's stressed that those springs are comfort oriented and do not carry a high spring rate.

I think your isolated experience with your Scion tC's "different" setup isn't very indicative of what the IS owners should be expecting, or have currently been experiencing. Scion tC and the second generation IS are definitely not the same vehicle. There are many threads on these springs recently, but I have yet to see one negative review.

I'm not sure what is fueling your admonition towards these springs, as I can't see how you would have been deceived. I believe the 5% increase is a generalized statement regarding that line, and the actual percentage increase differs on the vehicle. I'm pretty sure Tanabe's engineers did their homework when they developed these springs.
Old 05-18-06, 11:46 AM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
There are actually quite a lot of owners with a very aggressive drop using the DF210's and they have 19" wheels and are not experiencing any rubbing issues. When in doubt, search! Plenty of threads abound regarding that setup.
The DFs have a higher spring rate. That is why they are not experiencing any rubbing issues.

The NF210's shouldn't be an issue at all as long as your wheel and tire sizing is correct.
Not all owners will be running the correct sizing, and as stated, I personally feel that 5% increase is too soft for any drop.

Springs are not expensive to produce. While price can sometimes be an indicator of quality, it is not always the case. I don't think the price has anything to do with the quality of Tanabe springs, as they have always been well regarded among CL members, not to mention a very well established Japanese manufacturer.
Eibach is a very established manufacturer, but I wouldn't consider Eibach either for my $44k car. It's a Lexus, and I will expect it to handle at a certain degree of quality (comfort and handling). Lexus has done their R&D on the springs, and I doubt any other company has done the same amount of R&D on thier aftermarket products on the IS250/IS350 specifically. I repeatedly recommend the JIC FLT-A2 suspension specifically because the high degree of adjustability and customization can somewhat compensate for any ride height, ride quality, or comfort issues not covered by R&D.

I think your bad experience with the Scion tC is more a result of your custom wheel and tire sizes, and possibly a misunderstanding about the NF210 spring. On the Tanabe site, http://www.tanabe-usa.com/springs/nf210.asp it's stressed that those springs are comfort oriented and do not carry a high spring rate.
I did not misunderstand the spring at all. They do stress that these springs are comfort oriented, and do not carry a high spring rate. This is my issue with these springs - as stated earlier in the threead, I believe their choice to increase the spring rate by 5% is wrong.

I think your isolated experience with your Scion tC's "different" setup isn't very indicative of what the IS owners should be expecting, or have currently been experiencing. Scion tC and the second generation IS are definitely not the same vehicle. There are many threads on these springs recently, but I have yet to see one negative review.
I never said that the tC's suspension is the same as the Lexus, I simply stated that I would not recommend the NF springs.

I also would not personally use any sort of aftermarket spring only suspension setup on the Lexus. (being that there are no aftermarket struts currently available). I've been doing suspension upgrades for years. (Across 4 personal vehicles and several vehicles for friends.) I've used H&R, Eibach, Tein, JIC, Tanabe, KYB, Koni, and Intrax components, and have experience installing all of these setups.

I know how a luxury car is supposed to handle. (Porsche, Ferarri, Mercedes AMG, BMW, etc.) In my professional opinion, installing springs only with a spring rate that is acceptable will decrease the ride quality. Acceptable rate being one that will keep the suspension from slamming into the body components, fender walls, and fenders. The best setup will be a combination Damper/Spring (likely coilover) setup. (Tein or JIC - I prefer JIC because they carry more adjustability on the Dampers than the Tein, but Tein is very very close). I will also point out that even the most comfortable struts tend to be a little harsh for a car as nice as the IS.

A luxury car should handle like a luxury car, not like a Honda.

I'm not sure what is fueling your admonition towards these springs, as I can't see how you would have been deceived. I believe the 5% increase is a generalized statement regarding that line, and the actual percentage increase differs on the vehicle. I'm pretty sure Tanabe's engineers did their homework when they developed these springs.
I never said I was deceived in any way. I knew what I was buying when I bought it, but I found out that the spring did not work with my setup.

-Brian
Old 05-18-06, 12:03 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

I think it may be a moot point to debate this any further, as everyone's experience is subjective to their preferences, so i'll leave it with the cliched saying of "different strokes for different folks."

We'll see how the results of the install go!

The reports from the other 2nd gen IS' have been great, so I've got my money on them working flawlessly with a good 19" wheel and tire combo
Old 05-18-06, 12:04 PM
LexusSara
Rookie

Me too
Old 05-18-06, 01:32 PM
gtkawd
Rookie

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=AWD+staggered

my setup is fine. please refer to above thread.
Old 03-24-07, 01:12 PM
Chaser07
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusSara
My brother spoke with Tanabe yesterday and some people with 250's AWD are using the NF210 for the 350 on their 250 with great success.

The reason most of these west coast spring manufacutures don't have the 250 AWD spings yet, is becuase they don't have many AWD on the west coast for testing.

My brother is a wiz at this say, they will work fine for a moderate drop.

I love my IS250 AWD, but I am tired of the 'scared cat look' - I wil post pics when done.

Hahaha!! I love the wording! "SCARED CAT" I don't know when you wrote this but I just put some 19" Donz Columbo Wheels with the new Nitto Invo Rubber on my 07' 350. But thats the exact word that I was trying to think of when describing what it looks like.

Chase B.
Dallas, TX

Last edited by Chaser07; 03-24-07 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Didn't realize you were not a "man" ;-)
Old 03-29-07, 07:49 PM
howie55
Driver School Candidate

LexusSara how did the install of the nf210 lowering springs go on your is250awd? I am in the process of getting this done to my is250awd. I am just having a problem with deciding which tires to go with now. i think i want 235/35/18 but the guy at the tire shop says i should go with 235/40/18, there will not be much of a difference. well if you have info on your car please let me know, and if you have pictures that would be even better. thanks
Old 03-30-07, 02:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by rys
While I do not have the resources to custom manufacture my own springs, nor provide my own research and development into the matter, it is my personal opinion that a 5% increase in spring rate for the amount of drop you provide is far too low.

When TRD releases lowering parts for their vehicles, they do not even release springs with such a little increase in spring rate to prevent issues as I have stated.

-Brian
If you think springs are the root cause of rubbing, you fail to understand the most basic elements of wheel fitment. Your offset is WRONG, not your springs. FWIW, I had 17 x 8.5 +48 5Zigen ProRacers with 245/40/17s on my tC with Tein SS-Ps and Hotchkis sways. It NEVER rubbed even under the most aggressive street driving I could do.

Solve your wheel problem. It is not the fault of your springs.
Old 03-30-07, 11:01 AM
phattie
Driver School Candidate

Default my AWD on NF210

I've had them on for about a month now. no problems at all. ride quality is excellent with a little less body roll. the stock wheels were changed over to these stern beast 18" wheels w/38mm offset. the tires are 235 40s.
Attached Thumbnails Installing Tanabe NF210 springs on my IS250 AWD-copy-2-of-dsc03934-small.jpg  
Old 04-01-07, 03:34 PM
PureZ
Driver

I just picked up my 07 2IS awd. I agree with lexussara....there is wayy too much wheel gap. I feel like I can go offroading with this. My sisters 325xi looks so much lower stock. Does lowering the car affect the awd or lsd at all? Also has anyone had camber issues? Im thinking of going with the tien comforts.