Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How about ordering Lexus Sports springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 10:58 AM
jjwalker
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How about ordering Lexus Sports springs?

Has anyone ever inquired about ordering the Lexus Sport springs, is it even possible?
Old 06-02-06, 12:49 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh...yea its possible but why would you want to do that?

pay a jacked up price for a .5" drop with the wrong spring rate for your dampers...genius batman genius!!!

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 06-02-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 12:55 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

the same could be said for any aftermarket spring like Eibach, H&R etc etc.

If you are only looking for a moderate drop, then there isn'y any reason to buy the sport springs. But they will probably be a lot more expensive then aftermarket.

You're best bet is to find someone with a sport package that changed their springs and see if they'll let go of their originals.
Old 06-02-06, 06:17 PM
jjwalker
Driver

Originally Posted by uschardcor
uh...yea its possible but why would you want to do that?

pay a jacked up price for a .5" drop with the wrong spring rate for your dampers...genius batman genius!!!
So, can you tell me the spring rates for the sports springs and the difference between the stock vs. sports dampers, if any? Or are you just assuming?

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 06-02-06 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-03-06, 05:40 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

$900 for all 4 sports shocks
Old 06-03-06, 06:24 AM
meteoro
Pole Position

I was looking into it as well. My reasoning is because I auto-x. In order to remain in the stock class I was looking into getting the sport springs.

JM lexus had a couple of sets of springs in stock about a month ago. Not sure if they still have them.

But at 900 bucks, steep!
Old 06-03-06, 06:28 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meteoro
I was looking into it as well. My reasoning is because I auto-x. In order to remain in the stock class I was looking into getting the sport springs.

JM lexus had a couple of sets of springs in stock about a month ago. Not sure if they still have them.

But at 900 bucks, steep!

Auto-cross in a Lexus IS?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!
Old 06-03-06, 07:56 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by conekiller

I wouldn't knock it. Many have had success in their respective classes.
Old 06-03-06, 07:57 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjwalker
Has anyone ever inquired about ordering the Lexus Sport springs, is it even possible?
If you're serious about it, I'd be willing to sell mine (OEM Sport springs). I've been thinking about getting into another set of springs/shocks.

PM me if you'd like to discuss. Thanks.
Old 06-03-06, 08:00 AM
Ryuken
Driver School Candidate

It never hurts to try things out of the norm.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=293326
Old 06-03-06, 08:09 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

There are all kinds of classes for a reason.... I've seen everything from karts to Ferrari's and everything in between at autocrosses. I don't see any reason an IS owner couldn't go enjoy themselves too. It's not like he's entering an F1 race.
Old 06-03-06, 08:11 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ryuken
It never hurts to try things out of the norm.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=293326
My point is big, heavy, automatic semi-luxury cars don't lend themselves to being great choices to auto-cross. In fact, it's about the worst combination of features you could pick aside from a dragging boat anchor option.

If you want REAL FUN, spend the ~$250 for an open track day. At least then you can really explore the handling dynamics of a heavy car with ample horsepower because you sure won't below 3rd gear in a flat parking lot.
Old 06-03-06, 08:25 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My point is big, heavy, automatic semi-luxury cars don't lend themselves to being great choices to auto-cross. In fact, it's about the worst combination of features you could pick aside from a dragging boat anchor option.

If you want REAL FUN, spend the ~$250 for an open track day. At least then you can really explore the handling dynamics of a heavy car with ample horsepower because you sure won't below 3rd gear in a flat parking lot.
Well, I'm glad that the people who track their cars in my neck of the woods have a more open attitude (whether it's autox or an HPDE.) All we care about is whether the car is safe, the driver is responsible, and everyone has fun.

In the sports/competitions/activities I participate in, it's definitely more about what you do with what you have and not WHAT you have that's important.
Old 06-03-06, 08:32 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Back on topic: as more people switch to aftermarket springs/coilovers, you'll be able to find the sport springs for much less than that.

I see classifieds on the Z/G forums where they're selling their entire suspension kit (springs, dampers, sways, etc.) for $200. I've seen a few asking for less than $100 because it's just collecting dust and taking room in the garage.
Old 06-03-06, 08:36 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by al503
Well, I'm glad that the people who track their cars in my neck of the woods have a more open attitude (whether it's autox or an HPDE.) All we care about is whether the car is safe, the driver is responsible, and everyone has fun.

In the sports/competitions/activities I participate in, it's definitely more about what you do with what you have and not WHAT you have that's important.
I understand what you're saying...all I'm saying is I've done both, and open track days FAR surpasses auto-x both in fun factor and learning experience....and being a better driver is what it really boils down to.

I also shake my head at the people who go to every extreme to knock that extra 0.01 off their 15-sec quarter mile time.

Quick Reply: How about ordering Lexus Sports springs?