Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Advice On Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 09:14 AM
mcgrath85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice On Rotors

I just left Lexus and apparently my rotors are below spec. I want to get cross drilled rotors, but I don't want ones that will require modifications. I looked on EBAY and saw several, what seemed to be, good deals. Can someone please inform me on which ones I should get? I don't want to buy ones that are *****ty but I also don't need the top of the line. Thanks in advance.

p.s. I already searched the forums so don't reply with that.
Old 06-03-06, 05:49 PM
BigWaveSC
Lead Lap

be careful what you buy on ebay
most are cheap and warp fast.

good luck, I went brembo oem.
Old 06-06-06, 03:27 PM
mcgrath140
Driver School Candidate

I need more input. I need to order these rotors soon. What do you guys think about the following? FYI: I only need to replace the rear ones right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-00...71245261QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...72723692QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...72891100QQrdZ1

Or should I just get these and forget about cross drilled and slotted rotors?
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P

If you have any other ideas please post them. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-06, 04:12 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rotors

I got some Brembos that were later cross drilled and slotted off of Ebay F&R. They work fine. Paid around $200.
Old 06-06-06, 06:09 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's been shown time and time again that drilled rotors are simply for looks. MKIV Supra owners who track their cars (and consiquently beat the snot out of their brakes) go with the OEM Toyota rotors.

I'd check with your local toyota dealership and see how much they want for a set of N/A Supra rear rotors... it might be cheaper than ebay.

ontop of that, it's hard to know what you're really getting with ebay rotors.

also, about that middle link: those are a joke. They're designed to look like two-piece rotors, but they're not (from what the pictures show)

rotors are a clear cut case. Go with OEM or unmolested (drilled=bad) brembos, slotted seem to be OK but honestly I don't think they're worth the money... even if you are road racing your car.
Old 06-06-06, 07:08 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

when i had to replace my rotors, i just ordered some slotted rotora rotors from carson toyota...
Old 06-06-06, 07:18 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexAnt
when i had to replace my rotors, i just ordered some slotted rotora rotors from carson toyota...
you wouldn't happen to have a price you could post for reference? Carson typically has such good pricing, I wouldn't be suprised if it's in the same range as OEM rotors.
Old 06-06-06, 07:37 PM
PsiQo1
Lead Lap

get em and give us your feedback
Old 06-06-06, 07:39 PM
mcgrath85
Driver School Candidate

Called Carson and Parts is closed, so I am going to call them again tomorrow morning and see what their prices are like. In the meantime the best deal I found for Brembo replacement rotors was $148 for both of the rear ones on tirerack.com. Is that a good deal? I am unfamiliar with rotors and brakes and I'm just making sure I am not going to get screwed. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by mcgrath85; 06-06-06 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 08:16 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

carson's website shows 100 per rotor. rotora's retail are 130 and 105 front and rear respectively, steve/gordon got them for me for 110 and 85 respectively.
Old 06-06-06, 08:27 PM
mcgrath85
Driver School Candidate

So i should just go ahead and order the brembos for $148? It still sounds like the best deal.
Old 06-06-06, 11:18 PM
ridox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had ROTORA slotted rotors on my na supra, they were really high quality. they also e-coated (black) to prevent corrosion. i was able to resurface them once. fronts were $112 each. and rears were $90 each (they also offer Cross-Drilled & Slotted). i also had their stainless steel lines from them. w/ motul fluid. as for pads i was runing AXXIS Ultimate brake pads they were the best out of the ones i tried. i tried stock/project mu b-force/axxis. heres a link where you can get them. keep in mind our brake setup is the same as the na supra.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...779&SearchYN=N
Old 06-07-06, 04:58 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ridox
i had ROTORA slotted rotors on my na supra, they were really high quality. they also e-coated (black) to prevent corrosion. i was able to resurface them once. fronts were $112 each. and rears were $90 each (they also offer Cross-Drilled & Slotted). i also had their stainless steel lines from them. w/ motul fluid. as for pads i was runing AXXIS Ultimate brake pads they were the best out of the ones i tried. i tried stock/project mu b-force/axxis. heres a link where you can get them. keep in mind our brake setup is the same as the na supra.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...779&SearchYN=N

Thanks for the feedback ridox. I'd suggest that people try calling carson toyota first, or check out carson's website (http://www.l-tunedparts.com) they are a sponsor here, helping every month to keep this site free for all of us

Plus, I'm sure they'll match MVP's price
Old 06-07-06, 06:59 PM
BiZ
Intermediate

Looka like Baer has a new line of rotors on the market. Supposed to be a little more affordable.

http://baer.com/cgi-bin/start.exe/ba...CAT=5&XTHID=64

I had the Eradispeed +1 on my ZR-1. The only noticeable difference was at high speeds. The brakes felt better when stomping on them at 90+mph. They did look real nice though.
Old 06-08-06, 04:06 PM
mcgrath85
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and ordered the brembo replacements after reading this thread and all of the reviews on tirerack.com. I should be recieving them and having them installed sometime next week. I will let you know how they workout.
FYI: Tirerack.com sells and ships them for $160 and I am having them installed for $40.

Quick Reply: Need Advice On Rotors