Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover owners...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06 | 04:51 PM
Sc400on20s
Lead Lap

Default Coilover owners...

This is my third car that I have coilovers in and all of them had this problem but never like this.

The other day I had to pick up some part from our local Lexus dealer and as I was pulling into the driveway I had to go at an angle because it's kind of low, anyway while I was driving in at slight slant, my rear passenger wheel came of the ground (about 6 inches) and I was stuck, the sales people had to come and help me push my car until the wheel touched the ground.

Has any of you coilover owners had this problem?

Before you start saying LSD and stuff...I know, I know but to find an Auto TT LSD is pretty hard these days.

Just curious if it happended to any of you and what the hell would I do if I was by myself?
Old 06-04-06 | 12:50 AM
erollinc
Driver

my 240 used to 3 wheel like a ****..... you just got to carry enuf speed into it until yu get an lsd... after that ... you just goooooo
Old 06-04-06 | 11:55 AM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

i've never heard of that ever happening before. what kind of coilovers are you using? i dont wanna look stupid for asking, but why does that happen? is it because you are too low?
Old 06-04-06 | 12:26 PM
Sc400on20s
Lead Lap

I'm running JIC's
I believe the throw or extension on coilovers are shorter than a strut/spring setup. When the body twists one way, your car can do a 3 wheeler because the wheel's in the air and the coilover is fully extended (which isn't much) It has to lift with the car.
erollinc, I guess you're right just take enough speed thru the driveway until I get a LSD
Old 06-04-06 | 03:46 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ~SC~
You're exactly right about, "I believe the throw or extension on coilovers are shorter than a strut/spring setup", because it's perfect for track use. People that say they have no idea why this happens, or that it's unusual for it to happen, probably do not use a coilover setup, or have some cheap crap.

This happens with all coilovers. Listen, I went back with the trd setup, consisting of bilsteins and eibachs. I never get that problem, plus it handles just as well. People need to understand coilovers are good for track purposes only. It's not really designed for street use where there's bumps, dips, pots, etc.. They say it's good for street use because of the damping adjustability. I had them jic flta2's before too and they rode nicely too, but I really hated that situation exactly like yours. Especially when your tires are starting to wear down, you better replace them before you get into that situation with one side of the wheel off of the ground. You can go adjustable shocks with aftermarket springs also, and you'll still be fine. In any case, don't stress over it. You still have one of the best coilover setups around (flt-a2 jic's) You just have to live with it. You'll still be driving better than others if road conditions are nice. There's nothing wrong with your suspension.
i'm not using coilovers, so yeah i didnt know.
good info though.
Old 06-05-06 | 07:57 AM
KAME
Driver

Originally Posted by erollinc
you just got to carry enuf speed into it until yu get an lsd... after that ... you just goooooo
I agree. I've had the same problem repeatedly on my SC300 and can't wait for an LSD.