Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Eibach Pro-Kit= AFS light Blinking ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-07, 06:43 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem. It's only the rear that you have to worry about.
Old 01-07-07, 03:20 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dat-is350 is the man. You only need to do the rear one. Mine was 180 degrees off. I had to move that dog bone looking arm all the way up to the top.

Hope this pic helps.

Old 01-07-07, 03:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Congrats! You were WAY off after the install... I bet a lot of Lexus techs don't even know how to do this yet.
Old 01-07-07, 04:47 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Good idea Lubux, the rears are the most important ones on the IS350 because they have to remove the lower control arm to take out the shock/spring.
I didn't remove my rear lower control arms...
Old 01-07-07, 04:50 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't even remember what AFS stands for ... :LOL:
Old 01-07-07, 05:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Adaptive Front Lighting System or AFS.
Old 01-07-07, 08:31 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

The only thing I noticed tonight was that it seems like my head lights don't shoot as far down the road as they did before. This adjustment shouldn't affect how far down the road the hid's shoot does it?
Old 01-07-07, 10:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yeah, actually it does. Take a look at the headlight adjustment threads, or you can play with the adjustment on the rear (and possibly the front) sensors to make it more to your liking.
Old 01-08-07, 09:03 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

I am not sure what I can adjust on the front. They seem pretty static. My front looks just like the pic above. I will mess with the rear ones a little, and see what I can get.

Thanks so much guys. These threads help a lot.

I will do a search for "headlight adjustment"
Old 01-08-07, 04:15 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by combfilter
The only thing I noticed tonight was that it seems like my head lights don't shoot as far down the road as they did before. This adjustment shouldn't affect how far down the road the hid's shoot does it?
I noticed the same thing when I fixed the AFS. I didn't think that the sensor would affect that either. I've been reading about headlight adjustment, but haven't got to doing it yet. If you accomplish it combofilter, please fill me in!
Old 01-08-07, 04:17 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yeah, actually it does. Take a look at the headlight adjustment threads, or you can play with the adjustment on the rear (and possibly the front) sensors to make it more to your liking.
You can't really do anything to the front sensors. Or can you? I was looking at it, but did not see how you would adjust it.
Old 01-08-07, 05:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

OK, here's the situation - the car is lower than it was stock. The AFS sensors are sitting at a different location than they were when the car was stock. Two things are fighting you:

1. The car is lower, so the standard adjustments are also lower and the cutoff is lower.

2. The AFS believes the car is sitting differently than stock (because it is). It uses the front sensor and the rear sensor to determine load on the car and adjust the headlights accordingly. The more the AFS thinks the car is sitting low, the more it will try to raise the lights.

So the real trick is to get the sensors to adjust your lights where you want them to be when you are at normal ride height. You can fudge this with the static adjustment, or you can make incremental adjustments to the sensors and see if you can correct the situation with the AFS ECU. Either way, your goal is to raise the lights, and keep them at the same height regardless of the load in the car. That's what AFS is supposed to do.

Ideally, you would do this by setting both the front and rear sensors to their midrange position, then complete a manual headlight alignment. This should ensure you get all the benefits the AFS is supposed to deliver without the drawbacks after the car is lowered.
Old 01-08-07, 05:16 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

haha I just PM'd you asking you if you knew which way to adjust the dog bone arm to get the head lights to shoot further down the road. That's funny. Anywyas, i wont be able to get my car up on the ramps till wed. i am going to try to move my arm (top part) more to the left. To where it's almost 90degrees. I'll let you know how that works.

yea the front one you can't adjust at all. I was looking at it for 30min yesterday when I fixed mine, and was like "**** I don't know how to adjust this". Then I re-read this thread and saw that you just messed with the back.

PS if you find a good thread on headlilght adjustment PM it to me. I don't like the search on these PHP mysql boards. It never finds **** for me.
Old 01-08-07, 05:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Click here for the official instructions. Do this after ensuring your AFS sensors are at or very near midrange. Don't forget to weight the driver's seat with something approximately the same weight as the most frequent night driver. It will ensure best adjustment for the person using it most.
Old 01-08-07, 08:04 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Thanks again lobux. Grabbed the pdf and read the instructions. I am going to swing the arm around a little on wed night and see how this helps. If, that doesn't make me happy i will start to mess with the adjustment in the pdf. I like how they want me to have a piece of paper like 10ft. wide , and have like 25ft or more in a level garage.

Quick Reply: Eibach Pro-Kit= AFS light Blinking ???