Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Now I am going to do Coilovers...So.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 01:14 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I am going to do Coilovers...So.....

If I do coilovers, I want to roll my fenders so I will no longer have rubbing issues. So my question to everyone is, what is the cost usally to have all 4 fenders rolled? I would love to slam the hell out it, and don't want any rubbing. Any advice would help out. And what kind of coilovers should I go with?
Old 06-04-06, 03:12 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

bro, unless your tires are rubbing the metal of your fenders rolling will do nothing for you. i think you just have rubbing on the plastic in the front right?
Old 06-04-06, 03:59 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_250
bro, unless your tires are rubbing the metal of your fenders rolling will do nothing for you. i think you just have rubbing on the plastic in the front right?
I rubbed the plastic gone in the front upper, closet to the front of the wheel well. And now that the plastic is gone, its a piece of metal that is behind the plastic that sticks out. I was hearing metal scrapping on my tires....UGGG.
Old 06-04-06, 07:30 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

oh wow yeah that doesnt look good. I think coilovers will help you out though . . . what did you do with your spring kit? PM me if you still have it.
Old 06-04-06, 08:24 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

this is why you don't go 2" bigger than stock maximum. 19" should have been your choice, but i understand with your rim choice and size limitation.

wait till tein and tanabe come out with theri coils. JIC's are very very nice just not controllable form in cabin
Old 06-04-06, 08:31 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt the coilover will help you much.

You must get a smaller tire / Rim combination for the front, thats the only way.
Old 06-04-06, 09:09 PM
Smooth1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
I rubbed the plastic gone in the front upper, closet to the front of the wheel well. And now that the plastic is gone, its a piece of metal that is behind the plastic that sticks out. I was hearing metal scrapping on my tires....UGGG.
WOW Thats a bummer because I wanted to order 20 inch Maya's, I had my mind made up on the wheels that I wanted. I guess I will have to keep on looking for something that will look good in 19's because I dont want the same thing happening to me. Good luck Dj Rando with the coil overs.
Old 06-04-06, 09:49 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

DJ... rolling the fenders wont do anything for you. when the fenders are rolled they are refering to the lip of the fender. the coilovers will help you out, but the best thing to do is either bend that piece of metal that sticks out or hammer it flat. mine plastic hasnt worn away that bad, but now that i see there is metal behind it ill probably end up hammering it and heating the plastic a bit.
Old 06-04-06, 09:53 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uschardcor
this is why you don't go 2" bigger than stock maximum. 19" should have been your choice, but i understand with your rim choice and size limitation.

wait till tein and tanabe come out with theri coils. JIC's are very very nice just not controllable form in cabin
it doesnt matter if the wheels were 20" or 19".. it comes down to the overall diameter. this could probably be avoided using a shorter tire like a 245/30/20 or 235/30/20. of course the tire will have less sidewall, but the compromise has to be made somewhere.
Old 06-04-06, 10:30 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The only benefit the coilovers will have over the springs is the ability to change the ride height in this situation. Therefore, you can adjust them to the maximum amount of drop just prior to rubbing. The only question is: will that drop be enough or not?

As others have mentioned, your OD is too large.
Old 06-05-06, 09:21 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
Thats exactly why I went 19's instead of 20's. I have the JIC's on my car and it might help you a little cause you can make the suspension VERY stiff to control the suspension travel but I still think it will not solve your problem.
Old 06-05-06, 09:37 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS_250
it doesnt matter if the wheels were 20" or 19".. it comes down to the overall diameter. this could probably be avoided using a shorter tire like a 245/30/20 or 235/30/20. of course the tire will have less sidewall, but the compromise has to be made somewhere.
you know that saying better to remain silent and thought ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...
Old 06-05-06, 09:44 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

you know that saying better to remain silent and thought ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...
You lost me at hello...
Old 06-05-06, 09:49 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IS_250's statement makes sense to me. I must be ignorant also. Care to enlighten us?
Old 06-05-06, 10:08 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

go ahead genius.. enlighten me. the only thing ive gathered from your post here is that you dont like 20" wheels..

Quick Reply: Now I am going to do Coilovers...So.....