Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

does anyone else dislike the Brake Assist?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 07:18 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t0e
And by the way, when ever im breaking i always down shift using the step tronic (sports mode) gear shifter... It helps saves your breaks, and it give me greater stoping ability with out having to press on the break so hard. I think its Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat
Yeah I mean why wear out your brakes prematurely when you can wear out your tranny first.
Old 06-06-06, 07:23 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
Yeah I mean why wear out your brakes prematurely when you can wear out your tranny first.
ding....synchros don't like that too much
Old 06-06-06, 08:01 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

lol... As far as the BA issue, I first noticed it when my dad purchased his (then new) 2001 LS430. Whenever I'd be on the brake, then let off, and then get back on them again, it would grab very hard, even if the 2nd brake application was not sudden or hard, it would grab pretty hard. I did eventually "learn" the system and have not noticed it as being an issue on my IS.
Old 06-06-06, 08:16 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
lol... As far as the BA issue, I first noticed it when my dad purchased his (then new) 2001 LS430. Whenever I'd be on the brake, then let off, and then get back on them again, it would grab very hard, even if the 2nd brake application was not sudden or hard, it would grab pretty hard. I did eventually "learn" the system and have not noticed it as being an issue on my IS.
That's not brake assist. Most pads operate best at higher than ambient temps. Your first brake application is just warming them up closer to their optimal operating temp. That's why they grab harder on the second application.
Old 06-06-06, 08:20 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by al503
That's not brake assist. Most pads operate best at higher than ambient temps. Your first brake application is just warming them up closer to their optimal operating temp. That's why they grab harder on the second application.
yup. good and hot race pads are FUUUUUUUUN! In the Audi I had more fun slowing down at Road Atlanta with my Stoptechs than I did at wide open throttle on the back straight.
Old 06-06-06, 08:44 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I have found it annoying to be honest....

Slowing to lights there is a noticable "clunk" of the tranny dropping a gear. I wish there was a way to disable it...... It's getting on my nerves.
Old 06-06-06, 08:49 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unit74
I have found it annoying to be honest....

Slowing to lights there is a noticable "clunk" of the tranny dropping a gear. I wish there was a way to disable it...... It's getting on my nerves.
I don't know if you want to disable the transmission downshifting but I agree it could be smoother than it is in certain braking conditions. Ideal in my mind would be downshifting only after a certain RPM is reached, something 300-500RPM lower than it currently is. That would alleviate the clunk.
Old 06-06-06, 09:53 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by al503
Possibly... I only assume it is BA at work since I have not had that happen in other vehicles I've driven.

I've also expierenced the tranny "cluck" when slowing down. My guess is that it will be ironed out for the 07 model.
Old 06-06-06, 09:56 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Did you guys bother looking at http://www.brakeassist.com/. Then you just MIGHT be able to put an end to this, as what you're experiencing has nothing to do with BA.
Old 06-06-06, 10:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Here's a short clip of EBD and BA in action. This may disspell some of the frustrations here:

http://www.lexus.com/models/gs_hybri...s/ebdDemo.html
Old 06-07-06, 02:18 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Wow I guess the lexus engineers didn't think about that one huh (sarcasm)
Old 08-03-07, 06:15 AM
chriskurn
Driver School Candidate

BA and the trans shifting is driving my wife nuts. She wants to get rid of her brand new 07 IS250 because of it. She had a BMW X3 before and finds it really annoying.

I am going to clear the ECU and see if that helps. If not, I may have to take a hit and trade the IS (its leased) in on another BMW.

I am really surprised Lexus would taint the driving experience like this.
Old 08-03-07, 06:37 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chriskurn
BA and the trans shifting is driving my wife nuts. She wants to get rid of her brand new 07 IS250 because of it. She had a BMW X3 before and finds it really annoying.

I am going to clear the ECU and see if that helps. If not, I may have to take a hit and trade the IS (its leased) in on another BMW.

I am really surprised Lexus would taint the driving experience like this.
What bothers her so much about it? I can't imagine this being much of an issue at all on the street. I've only experienced brake assist a few times in 21K miles, and I drive pretty aggressively.
Old 08-03-07, 07:18 AM
chriskurn
Driver School Candidate

I drove the car last night and I am noticing it every time I stop. It feels like the pedal is being pressed from under my foot.

Her other complaint is the shifting.
Old 08-03-07, 08:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chriskurn
I drove the car last night and I am noticing it every time I stop. It feels like the pedal is being pressed from under my foot.

Her other complaint is the shifting.
That sounds like a warranty issue. I don't think brake assist has anything to do with the brake pedal, and it certainly shouldn't do anything on a regular stop. Brake assist only activates when you rapidly lift your foot off the gas and hit the brake pedal with moderate force. In those cases, the brake ECU assumes you are braking for an emergency, so it increases the brake force to the max. It is quite startling when it happens.

Quick Reply: does anyone else dislike the Brake Assist?