Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

does anyone else dislike the Brake Assist?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 02:38 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone else dislike the Brake Assist?

I can't tell if it's the Brake Assist alone, or that combined with the transmission downshifting during braking, but at certain speeds and only moderate braking it feels like the Brake Assist is kicking in and I don't like it. It feels like the car actually lessens brake force for a split-second and then REALLY clamps down.

I have only done the pedal dance/VDIM disable (if that's what it really is) a few times and I can't say for sure yet if it is disabling what I believe is the Brake Assist....nevertheless if the BA is what I'm feeling as described above...not a fan.
Old 06-06-06, 03:00 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

I feel it too, everytime I'm braking (not even heavy braking) for a stop. It really gets on my nerves. I tried various methods to reduce the sudden "clamp" but nothing works.
Old 06-06-06, 03:09 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSE25
I feel it too, everytime I'm braking (not even heavy braking) for a stop. It really gets on my nerves. I tried various methods to reduce the sudden "clamp" but nothing works.
If it is in fact the Brake Assist kicking in, it kicks in WAAAAY too early. Something like that should be (1) emergency only...it should NOT be engaging during normal highway driving, and (2) I would expect it to be far less apparent...adding additional brake force (or shifting bias to the front...however it actually works) shouldn't feel as if I nearly mashed the pedal to the floor. I estimate it kicks in at only 25% pedal travel and then immediately the brakes respond with what feels like 90% pedal travel. I'd prefer something like 75% pedal travel be free of BA...inside of that I can modulate the brakes fine on my own.

Wonder if there's a possibility of disabling BA entirely...too bad it'll probably throw VDIM off the deep end.
Old 06-06-06, 03:13 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

feels like downshifting to me. perfectly explains the feeling of less brake then more.
less brake = out of gear
more brake = lower gear
Old 06-06-06, 03:21 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
feels like downshifting to me. perfectly explains the feeling of less brake then more.
less brake = out of gear
more brake = lower gear
It could be that, but it pours on much more brake force than downshifting + light braking. It occurs immediately and well before I've finished slowing down....before I would expect the transmission to begin downshifting (especially when I'm not in sport mode and ECT PWR is off). I'm going to start driving with the gear # display on to see if it corresponds.
Old 06-06-06, 04:11 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by conekiller
I can't tell if it's the Brake Assist alone, or that combined with the transmission downshifting during braking, but at certain speeds and only moderate braking it feels like the Brake Assist is kicking in and I don't like it. It feels like the car actually lessens brake force for a split-second and then REALLY clamps down.

I have only done the pedal dance/VDIM disable (if that's what it really is) a few times and I can't say for sure yet if it is disabling what I believe is the Brake Assist....nevertheless if the BA is what I'm feeling as described above...not a fan.
That is NOT BA kicking in. BA only activates if it senses the sudden lifting off of throttle and immediate press of brake pedal.
Old 06-06-06, 04:50 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

Don't notice anything like this with my manual
Old 06-06-06, 05:13 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pittdawg
Don't notice anything like this with my manual
What's that? I can't hear you from 8 car lengths ahead
Old 06-06-06, 05:25 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are exaggarating. Does the front end do a nose dive just inches off the ground too? 90% brake travel just 10% short of full lockup, c'mon. Perhaps something is wrong with your car. I don't think I've ever mashed the brake pedal to 90%....ever.
Old 06-06-06, 05:31 PM
HaveBlue
Driver

Try coming to a stop with the motor in neutral and see if it still does it.

If so, pull the small green/gray? connector on the brake pedal bracket that leads to the sensor. It has two wires. Then drive it again. Pulling that plug will disable the ABS, VSC and TRAC system but will also send the ECU into a tizzy. That should tell you if the Nanny's are watching. The brakes on this car are very sensitive and strong. I, for one, really like them the way they are.

I agree on the 90% Ken. I doubt they are talking anything near 90% brake capacity. I've had the brakes in almost full lock up just before the ABS kicks in. Normal driving doesn't come close to that stopping power.

This may be related to others complaining about the brake lights not coming on at the right time though. Maybe the Brake force sensor is out of adjustment too.

I'm about 80% finished designing a microprocessor circuit to turn off the VDIM with a button push.

Last edited by HaveBlue; 06-06-06 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 06:03 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

These breaks are so dam good.

They have saved me a couple times already.

I love them!

And by the way, when ever im breaking i always down shift using the step tronic (sports mode) gear shifter... It helps saves your breaks, and it give me greater stoping ability with out having to press on the break so hard. I think its Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat
Old 06-06-06, 06:08 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

As others have said, what you're feeling isn't brake assist. Brake assist works with the ABS login to add brake force to near the threshold of tire adhesion. If that were to happen, you'd REALLY know it.
Old 06-06-06, 06:16 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Gear Position screen confirms it...it's brake + downshifting that does it. If I'm driving at highway speeds and hit the brakes about 1/4 pedal travel the transmission jumps from 6th to 4th mid-brake. At the same speed with less brake it'll only drop from 6th to 5th and it's almost imperceptible.

The reason I don't always feel it...there is a brake point that'll scrub off enough speed fast enough that the shift drop from 6th to 4th isn't abrupt.

My kingdom for a 350 manual...
Old 06-06-06, 06:19 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
That is NOT BA kicking in. BA only activates if it senses the sudden lifting off of throttle and immediate press of brake pedal.
I gotta try inducing that this weekend on some empty backroads.
Old 06-06-06, 06:40 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

FYI...

http://www.brakeassist.com/brakeassist.html

Quick Reply: does anyone else dislike the Brake Assist?