Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

OK - why does the GS handle so poorly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-06, 09:44 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by supergs400
I believe the GS430 already has the L-tuned ECU, but definetly you need to upgrade the coilovers to a more aggresive model. The CS was made for the Comfort Sport, the Tein Flex is a bit more in the middle for performance and the RA is more geared towards perfornance. When I used the HKS hipermax coilovers, the car handled very well, ride was bit firm, but had no problems with cornering. I am sure the flex would be a good compromise.
yes the flex are , my handling is razor sharp , with the right mix of parts and wheels and tires and yes replace stock bushings with daizens you will exp a transformationin the handling of the gs

use of the pillow ball mounts also aid in that dept vs rubber mounts , although alittle noisy on bumps to me it is very acceptable but the turn in response is immed
Old 06-19-06, 11:32 AM
pavster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the steering ratio isn't all that boring. It's exactly the same as in Mazda RX8, which is considered to be anything but boring. However, I do agree that stock steering on the GS is very mushy/light, and for me personally, good steering feel is more important than grip or roll.

I've found a couple of ways to improve steering feel, and I've been meaning to write them up -- just haven't had the time. There are two main issues -- the dead spot and too much steering boost.

To get rid of the dead spot, you can get various braces and Daizen bushings. This will have a small effect. For me, the biggest effect was to mount the steering rack solidly to the chassis. In stock form, it's mounted with very soft rubber bushings that allow a good 1/4 inch of play, which translates to over an inch at the steering wheel.

To reduce the steering boost, you can get the L-Tuned ECU as someone mentioned, but I am not sure how much that does. A simpler and cheaper thing to do is to add a 7-8 ohm resistor into the harness that goes into the power steering pump. It causes less pressure to be generated by the pump and therefore reduces the steering boost. Works wonders for me.

I wish someone here who's into DIY would try to do the same things I did, and share the experiences.

-pavel.

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
In what I'm describing, I'm not referring to how the car is able to handle grip - what I'm referring to is how the suspension bounces on corners and leans considerably when turning - even with sway bars. The car is very jittery and unpredictable.

One big issue is the very tame steering ratio and the dead spot in the center steering position.

The rear end feels like it reacts slowly to the changes in the front end.

I'm sure my bushings are worn enough, my alignment isn't perfect and the tires are worn, but that doens't fix the bumpy, floaty feeling the car has and the boring steering ratio.
Old 06-19-06, 11:39 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please share your diy information regarding the steering rack. i believe there is someone in the main gs forum trying to gather up all the diy from everyone into one page. here is the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222443

im sure a lot of people are wondering how you modified your power steering pump.

how did you mount the steering rack to the chassie.

any pictures?
Old 06-19-06, 11:50 AM
pavster
Driver

Ok, I have these crappy pics of the rack mod. http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/view/1856/
let me know if you can't follow the link. The steering pump harness mod is very simple -- find the wires that run into the PS pump (left side of engine, when looking at it from the front). Cut one wire and splice some long leads into it. At the end of the leads attach a 7-8 ohm resistor that can handle at least 5Watts -- 10Watts would be better. I do have some pictures, but they are really bad. If someone was willing to do the write-up, I can take better photos.

-Pavel.

Originally Posted by corkycal
please share your diy information regarding the steering rack. i believe there is someone in the main gs forum trying to gather up all the diy from everyone into one page. here is the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222443

im sure a lot of people are wondering how you modified your power steering pump.

how did you mount the steering rack to the chassie.

any pictures?
Old 06-19-06, 12:17 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

the pictures looks good but can't see what the rubber bushings look like. are those oil pan crush washer that you used? i have to get under my car to feel the movement.

if you can, snap some pictures of the resistor mod and maybe where i can buy these.

good post.
Old 06-19-06, 01:27 PM
pavster
Driver

They are actually larger than the crush washers. The way I figured out their size was I took one of the rack bolts out and brought it to Ace Hardware with me (hardware store). On the bolt head, you can sort of see where the bushing sleeve sits. Get a washer that will fit over that sleeve. I had to dremel them on the inside just a little bit to make sure they slide over the sleeve.

You can see the rack bushing on the top photo -- the top rack mount bolt is removed. The bottom bolt has my washers on it, and you can see the bushing squeezed between the washer and the rack.

-pavel.
Old 06-19-06, 02:30 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting mod pavster. are there any possible negative side effects?
did you notice a big difference in the steering feel?
Old 06-19-06, 02:54 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pavster
They are actually larger than the crush washers. The way I figured out their size was I took one of the rack bolts out and brought it to Ace Hardware with me (hardware store). On the bolt head, you can sort of see where the bushing sleeve sits. Get a washer that will fit over that sleeve. I had to dremel them on the inside just a little bit to make sure they slide over the sleeve.

You can see the rack bushing on the top photo -- the top rack mount bolt is removed. The bottom bolt has my washers on it, and you can see the bushing squeezed between the washer and the rack.

-pavel.

so you used washer for the front and back of the bushings. i guess the trick is drill or find washers large enough to fit over the sleeve. too bad you didn't measure circumference of the metal sleeve.

do you know the purpose of the rubber bushings for the steering rack?

thanks for your help on this, i may try it out one day. might be good to put locktite on the threads when putting everything back on.
Old 06-20-06, 07:03 AM
pavster
Driver

I think the bushings are there to make the ride more luxurious -- isolate the driver more. I can now feel the road much better through the steering wheel, and the steering is much more responsive. Some people might find it too responsive or nervous, as you read sometimes in Mitsu EVO reviews. I like it though.

-pavel.
Old 06-21-06, 07:40 PM
pavster
Driver

Ok, here is a little more about the power steering boost mod. http://app.tabblo.com/studio/stories/view/27270/ I know the pictures don't show the exact wire you have to cut, but once you find the harness I am talking about, it's pretty straightforward.

Radio Shack might carry the resistors, although last time I checked they didn't have 7 ohm ones. There are lots of online places you can pick them up if you can't find them locally. They are about $2

I was thinking about making a little black box with a resistor inside and selling it for some insane amount as "Lexus Sport Power Steering Computer" or some such, but I am too lazy for that It would be nice if it had the right leads on it so it would just plug right into that harness so you wouldn't have to cut any wires...

-pavel.
Old 06-21-06, 08:54 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

pavel,

this is great info.
Old 06-22-06, 05:48 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

be careful when doing the steering rack thing.. the bushings are there to help absorb sudden jolts to the rack. by min the deflection of the bushings you are transferring more road shock to the rack which will accelerate wear on it hence why you get more road feel.. it will feel great but eventually your pocket wont when it comes time to replace it do to premature wear..

the bushing that helps hold the rack inline is on the passenger side that fits around the rack within a bracket.. the rubber within gets worn and mushy and allows some movement.. thats the bushinfs or rack mount bushing that should be changed
Old 06-22-06, 06:41 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

ed,

have you changed out these bushings on the steering rack? can these done with ease?
Old 06-22-06, 07:03 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corkycal
ed,

have you changed out these bushings on the steering rack? can these done with ease?

i have not done it to my gs as yet but with the daizen bushings giving no movement up front i am sure its time for me to change this one for the stress is being transferred to this area however i have done it on my ls400 when i had it its simple and takes maybe 30mins at most
Old 06-22-06, 01:29 PM
pavster
Driver

Lexforlife, you might be right that the bushings protect the rack agains sudden jolts, although I would venture to say that it's the tires' job. I am sure everything we are doing -- stiffer shocks, springs, wider lower profile tires, poly bushings, braces, etc. -- increases shock on suspension components, driveline components, body joints, etc. so yeah, there will eventually be a price to pay. So what, I already spent a ton on the car (purchase price+gas+insurance+tires and other wear items) I might as well enjoy it. Otherwise, I am spending way more trading it for a bimmer because I hate its stock handing...

-pavel.

Quick Reply: OK - why does the GS handle so poorly?