Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Fender roll or coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 07:09 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fender roll or coilovers?

My rear tires rub on dips and stuff. Should I roll the fenders or just get some coilovers to stiffen it up a bit?

Old 06-09-06, 07:26 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Tires rubbing at stock height?
Old 06-09-06, 07:29 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess the wheels are massive. but i would still get the coilovers for improved handling.
Old 06-09-06, 07:41 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

fender rolling is easy...... go bounce up and down on your trunk to see how much you need to roll it. Must get a lot of 'attention' when it rubs while rolling. Coilovers arent gonna help unless you dump it, causing the camber to change....

eh, just roll the fenders and call it good
Old 06-09-06, 07:59 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting coilovers will do absolutely nothing to solve your problem. It would only make matters worse. Even though your ride will be stiffer if you go over something your coilovers will still travel the same distance as it would on its hardest setting as it would on one of its softer settings. You have no choice, but to roll your fenders or just live with the rubbing.
Old 06-09-06, 08:09 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I say go for the roll. Mine are rolled my rear coils are set all the way down I'm running 19X10.5 in the rear with a +26 with no rubbing issues whatsover.
Old 06-09-06, 08:46 PM
BiZ
Intermediate

What size are your rear tires?
Old 06-09-06, 10:10 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

wut tire size and wheel offsets and sizes? or you could just shave it and call it a day
Old 06-09-06, 10:43 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

... roll your fenders and get coilovers
Old 06-09-06, 10:47 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default .

18x8 HRE 545R Front
18x10.5 HRE 545R Rear

The preivious owner put some coils on it. Seems like around maybe an inch lowered.

Looks OK Just rubbs.

Fender Roll it is. Thanks everybody!

I just finished installing the Thermotech on the hot side of the turbo, the down pipe, and the headers. Man! My arms itch like a *****. Fiberglass. Arrrggg......

BTW... What would be a reasonable price to pay to get that done? Is there any painting involved?
Old 06-10-06, 06:39 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

just make sure they know what they're doing. Ive seen sum pretty bad body work (rolls and pulls) on SC's lately

Rolling is easy with a fender roller or a baseball bat

Just make sure you heat up the panel on the outside and a bit more on the inner fender lip. People who dont do it usually get paint cracking or stress in the paint....that turns into nice cracks over time.

everyone has their own tricks to doing it, and I use my own method as well... the main thing to remember is heating the panel on BOTH sides.
Old 06-10-06, 07:27 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lfrers
......BTW... What would be a reasonable price to pay to get that done? Is there any painting involved?
no painting involved unless you have rust in the fender areas...then you will need a rehab. I would say $50 a fender unless you have some problems with your fender ie rust, prior body work...etc
Old 06-10-06, 06:16 PM
newbdotcom
Driver School Candidate

this is a weird question because rolling your fenders and getting coilovers are not really alternatives to each other. i recently had a problem with my rear tires rubbing the inside fender. btw, i am running 19x9.5 w/ 275/35 tires. i had a local tire shop cut the inside lip of my finder. worked perfectly. if you roll your fenders there is a high possiblity that your paint will crack around the area of rolling. so consider that.

also, i dont care what anyone tells you. you'll have a hard time finding a professional to roll your fenders and actually guarantee that your paint will not crack. simply because there is no way to guarantee it.
Old 06-12-06, 11:27 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

baseball bat first then the bottle jack with 2x4 and some body hammers. Used a heat gun to keep the fenders hot. Took about 2 hours to finish it all up. My front fenders were done while they were off the car by heating them and then cutting the inner fender lip.
Old 06-13-06, 11:01 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

i just learned how to roll fender last night. a baseball bat would be really easy, however i took a monkey wrench and folded the fender. no paint chips odd look or rubbing and i made sure by hitting up the canyon. it took me 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Fender roll or coilovers?