Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

THE LOW DOWN on the NEW TEIN CS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 11:06 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if you want stiffer ride and more geared towards performance, imho you shouldn't look at the tein cs, which is geared towards comfort to begin with. flex is still quit a bit stiffer than the cs imho. if you think the flex softest settings is still too stiff, then i think the tein cs stiffest or stiffer side might be able to suit your needs.

and yes between the old and new tein cs, i think the stiffer side performance are about the same, with the new one might be a bit better but not something that warrant a change imho
Flex too stiff in the city for me. It's a cacophony of crashes and clunks over bad city streets. I could never take that for my daily driver. CS is my best compromise...which is what I have.

And the sway bars do a commendable job. With the daizen bushings, I have to say my car handles pretty good to me, as I have loads of fun in the twisties now. Still a little too much lean, but that's OK. I can still drift all 4 wheels, and it's all controllable and fun. Until I go German, this is fine.
Old 06-14-06, 11:48 AM
XBS1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do this review, I should be getting these next week. Orignally I wasnt going to get the EDFC but now I think I have to since when im driving to work everyday I want the smoothest ride possible but sometimes on the way home I want to take a few turns a little faster so I could just bump up the stiffness with the EDFC.

So my only question is to EDFC owners, should I definetely get it? or is it not worth the $350 bucks?

Thanks!

-George
Old 06-14-06, 12:19 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XBS1
Thanks for taking the time to do this review, I should be getting these next week. Orignally I wasnt going to get the EDFC but now I think I have to since when im driving to work everyday I want the smoothest ride possible but sometimes on the way home I want to take a few turns a little faster so I could just bump up the stiffness with the EDFC.

So my only question is to EDFC owners, should I definetely get it? or is it not worth the $350 bucks?

Thanks!

-George
Once you play with the settings, you can ride around at say full stiff or full soft and then see how many situations you find yourself wanting to pull over and re-adjust the dampening. Then there is all the fine tuning to tweek front and rear.

Heck you can even pre-program a setting where the dampening is stiffer for taking right /left turns.

In the end it is a matter if you feel the need to keep adjusting and if you want the convenience to just do that at the push of a button.
Old 06-14-06, 12:23 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Flex too stiff in the city for me. It's a cacophony of crashes and clunks over bad city streets. I could never take that for my daily driver. CS is my best compromise...which is what I have.

And the sway bars do a commendable job. With the daizen bushings, I have to say my car handles pretty good to me, as I have loads of fun in the twisties now. Still a little too much lean, but that's OK. I can still drift all 4 wheels, and it's all controllable and fun. Until I go German, this is fine.

You got that right. I like your comments and feel the same way.

I have almost every other suspension mod available, sways, STB's, bracing, etc. So having the CS keep the ride as smooth AND QUIET as possible was a great combo with the rest of the suspension mods. The FLEX will have more noise and rattles.
Old 06-14-06, 12:29 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by chuckb
for someone like me who just leaves my old CS set at 6 and 8, would I notice a benefit?

I think the ride of the NewCS is better overall at any setting. The useable range from 0 to 16 is more flexible, especially when using the EDFC.

It would still be a tough call to tell anyone to get rid of their old CS and replace with a new CS. As much as you could tell the difference, it really would come down to how much you are willing to spend (and lose on selling the old CS) in order to get the improvement.

I guess someone will try it one of these days and provide their feedback.

The bottom line is to hitch a ride in a car that has the new CS and judge for yourself.
Old 06-14-06, 12:36 PM
RMMGS4

Great write-up!

One question: is there noticeably less lean in the firmest setting of the new CS as compared to the old CS?

And, does the stiffest setting of the new CS rival the medium settings of the Flex?

Man that's splitting hairs.

I can't give a definitive answer to that, but here's my thoughts:

As far as ride, the CS will be quieter and smoother no matter what setting.

Handling, well I'll say on a smoother surface or race track, the Flex should have a pretty good edge over the CS. On any standard road where there are dips, expansion joints, etc. especially in a high speed turn, I'd say I would prefer the CS, just because it will be more forgiving when the road blemishes are unknown.

I remember having my EDFC set full hard going into a 80+ mph sweeping freeway turn. I wasn't familiar with that road and in the middle of the turn I hit a large pot hole.

Glad I had both hands firmly on the steering. From then on, if I don't know the turn and all it's irregularities, then I would always run on the soft side and not full hard. With the TEIN CS even at full hard, I still might be comfortable taking that same turn.

Well all for now. End of my lunch break.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-14-06 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-14-06, 01:30 PM
XBS1
Driver

Arent the rear coilovers a PITA to get too? Dont you have to remove some the the trunk panels to adjust them? Thats why im leaning towards the EDFC, BTW do you use it in your car?

Thanks!

-George
Old 06-14-06, 02:58 PM
RMMGS4

Arent the rear coilovers a PITA to get too? Dont you have to remove some the the trunk panels to adjust them? Thats why im leaning towards the EDFC, BTW do you use it in your car?

Thanks!

-George

Back from my meeting.

Yes you do have to remove rear panels for adjustment. It is a true pain.

My only point is you need to determine if you really think you will want to keep adjusting them. Only you cn decide that once have log in some time over various road conditions and if you enjoy spirited driving.

I adjust mine almost on every long drive. Every time I see a turn coming up, I select one of three pre-programmed settings and in about 2 seconds the car is ready to handle that turn.
Old 06-14-06, 06:24 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the review on the NewCS ... I am now very excited on the MonoFlex!

Unlike the original Flex (which is a twintube a la HA), the MonoFlex should be similarly built as the NewCS, but with stiffer valving and stiffer springs!
Old 06-14-06, 07:27 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by HKGS300
Thank you for the review on the NewCS ... I am now very excited on the MonoFlex!

Unlike the original Flex (which is a twintube a la HA), the MonoFlex should be similarly built as the NewCS, but with stiffer valving and stiffer springs!

If it has the MSV and they get rid of the pillow ball noise I would say that looks to be a killer coilover..

Sounds like it's worth the wait.
Old 06-14-06, 09:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are tempting me Glen. Now, if only I had the funds. Great writeup as always.
Old 06-14-06, 10:17 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

thank god, finally... i posted a forum about this like 2 weeks ago "Tein Comfort Spec vs Tein Comfort Sport" and NOOOO BODYYYY POSTEDDD ANYTHINGGGG ATTT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

but, thanks for the write up... looks like a lot of people are gonna want this AND want to get rid of their old CS... for cheap maybe
Old 06-14-06, 10:24 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Neo
You are tempting me Glen. Now, if only I had the funds. Great writeup as always.

Hey Chris. Just get your "other " mods done so I can see your car in time for EOS.
Old 06-14-06, 10:26 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by djjt
thank god, finally... i posted a forum about this like 2 weeks ago "Tein Comfort Spec vs Tein Comfort Sport" and NOOOO BODYYYY POSTEDDD ANYTHINGGGG ATTT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

but, thanks for the write up... looks like a lot of people are gonna want this AND want to get rid of their old CS... for cheap maybe

I received my coilovers a week ago., so two weeks ago, I would guess almost no one had them yet or whoever did, doesn't post, since I appear to be the first, from what I can tell.
Old 06-14-06, 11:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i owned the HA, and then flex, and now the tein cs. what do you think made me do all the changes? you don't think i have that much money right?

i have the daizen sways at stiffest settings together with some other braces too. i am 100% sure the car can get better handling, possibly with stiffer suspensions, but this is more than enough for me. 90% of the time when i drive i want comfort more than crazy handling. i don't need more brokeback

Thanks!

-George
honestly, if you ask me? nop, no edfc for me. sorry but i still don't justify the 300 bucks, not to mention the costd on top to run wires and to somehow mount it. i have had my tein cs for quite a while. i drive my car every day, and seriously, i might have changed the settings for 4 times the first month, and i havent' really touched them ever since.

personally i don't see the point of changing the settings all the time. having a good balance is all i need. if i know today i have to go to track, i will adjust it in the morning. if i suddenly come across a race on the freeway, i race with what i have. the time i feel down and push the right button to change the settings, a good driver would have dusted me already

QUOTE=chuckb]hey henry-yes, I mean 6 clicks out from full hard front and 8 clicks from full hard on rear.[/QUOTE]

with that, honestly, i am not sure if it's worth the money. you will feel the difference, but keep in mind you might get 800 bucks for your old tein cs, and then you have to spend another 1300 for the new one. not to mention about the installation cost. all the little improvement for over 500 bucks?

if my tein cs were blown today, then it's a no brainer. but given my tein cs is still working fine, i would wait

Thanks!

-George
the gs trunk lining is not hard to reach already, 3 clips on each side and you are done. talk about tough, look at the sc430, i have to pull out the whole trunk to adjust it if i want to. that's a real pita.

and in fact, even up till this point, i still haven't put back the trunk lining fully. the top is still not clipped down so i can just easily pulled it down and adjust it if i want. and no one notices it

Quick Reply: THE LOW DOWN on the NEW TEIN CS