Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

THE LOW DOWN on the NEW TEIN CS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 11:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
You are tempting me Glen. Now, if only I had the funds. Great writeup as always.
man this is really sad, no one read mine? boy talk about time wasted
Old 06-15-06, 12:56 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
I posted the link.

Count your views. It is going up.

I just assume people are responding here, ESPECIALLY since they know you will reply.
Old 06-15-06, 09:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I posted the link.

Count your views. It is going up.

I just assume people are responding here, ESPECIALLY since they know you will reply.
lol that's cool, i was just kidding. i just did my part and it's up to the readers afterwards
Old 06-15-06, 09:54 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
HAHA. Sorry Henry. I actually read yours first.
Old 06-15-06, 10:11 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Neo
HAHA. Sorry Henry. I actually read yours first.

I checked the # of views since Henry's post yesterday. My thread currently is getting views at the rate of 2 to 1 of Henry's.

So I'd say people are reading both threads, but mine is getting more views due to responses and all of us coming back each time to read the latest response.

One day , my thread will drop off the first page, but Henry's will live on at the top for eternity.

Guess it pays to be a SENIOR moderator !

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-15-06 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-15-06, 11:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I checked the # of views since Henry's post yesterday. My thread currently is getting views at the rate of 2 to 1 of Henry's.

So I'd say people are reading both threads, but mine is getting more views due to responses and all of us coming back each time to read the latest response.

One day , my thread will drop off the first page, but Henry's will live on at the top for eternity.

Guess it pays to be a SENIOR moderator !
i am actually thinking about merging the two posts later since it's so much useful info. still a thought though, it has pros and cons
Old 06-16-06, 01:17 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So for those who got the new Tein CS'.....has anyone tested how low it can be dumped? Further down than prior CS? Same?

Pete
Old 06-16-06, 09:45 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PHML
So for those who got the new Tein CS'.....has anyone tested how low it can be dumped? Further down than prior CS? Same?

Pete
I would say similar to the old GS ... both are using relatively long springs ... 250mm front springs and 300 mm rear springs... .
Old 06-16-06, 09:47 AM
XBS1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im installing mine tonight after work, Any tips? Also how do i know what is a good starting hieght without puilling the wheels on and off 100 times?

Thanks!

-George
Old 06-16-06, 10:24 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XBS1
Im installing mine tonight after work, Any tips? Also how do i know what is a good starting hieght without puilling the wheels on and off 100 times?

Thanks!

-George
I don't know if it's different for the new ones but there should be a factory setting in your manual. I went a few turns lower than that from the start but not much because I didn't want it too low.
Old 06-16-06, 10:26 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by PHML

Pete

My rear tires are 25.8 " in diameter.

The measurement from the ground to the center/ bottom of the fender lip is 26 1/4". **

I have almost ZERO finger gap.

I have about 1/2 inch of additional thread left on the coilover that I can still drop it.

So for the tire diameter I am using, I'd say you would just start to tuck the tire at the full bottom setting.

DO note that at this setting, your front tires would rub in mulitiple locations against the inner fender liner and lip. (probably 4 or 5 different spots)

I have a thin set up on 20's, so my overall diameter is near to stock spec AND I STILL RUB up front !

For someone running 245/35-20 up front with an aggressive wheel offset, this condition will be even worse.

That said, I'd say the CS will lower your car enough that you will have other problems to worry about besides how low the coilover will allow you to drop.

**This measurement is taken from the bottom of the fender lip with the rubber edge strip removed, so that accounts for another 1/8 of an inch. This is also with a FULL tank of gas. All this matters.
Old 06-16-06, 10:34 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by XBS1

Thanks!

-George

Didn't install mine. Sorry no install tips.

Except this:
MOST IMPORTANT - Spray wd40 on the base of the spring perch between the rubber insulator and the spring. It is WAY easier to drop the car down than to raise it up. Start off high and work your way down.

Adjustment tips HERE:
I still ended up taking off the tires/wheels a couple of times to re-adjust the height to my liking.
It is amazing how long you can stare at your car.

1. Make sure you have a full tank of gas.

2. Drive the car a little after each adjustment so the car settles.

3. Drive the car for several days or 50+ miles so that the springs settle, before you adjust.

4. Measure your starting heights at all four corners. Chances are your car will not be level. So determine that before you begin. Take that into account when you adjust. It is fairly common to adjust only one coilover to get the car to sit level.
Old 06-16-06, 01:10 PM
darrylg33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info, I think I'll be putting these on in the future..thanks for taking the time for the update...D
Old 06-16-06, 07:51 PM
XBS1
Driver

Didn't install mine. Sorry no install tips.

Except this:
MOST IMPORTANT - Spray wd40 on the base of the spring perch between the rubber insulator and the spring. It is WAY easier to drop the car down than to raise it up. Start off high and work your way down.
What do you mean by this I dont really understand? Do you have a pic?

Thanks bro!

-George
Old 06-16-06, 08:06 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

correct me if i'm wrong, but these NEW Tein CS (steel bodied) coilovers don't seem to be more than 1-2lbs heavier than the OLD Tein CS coilovers each . If my assumption is correct, then that is a very good thing considering they perform better and aren't much heavier .

Also,
I'm sure the microvalving will GREATLY increase the longevity of the NEW Tein CS vs. the OLD needle valved aluminum OLD Tein CS.

Quick Reply: THE LOW DOWN on the NEW TEIN CS