Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Quick question about painting calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 11:13 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Ok guys, I didnt want to create a whole new thread about this topic, so I ran the search.

Over the past weekend I painted my calipers with gold G2 paint and applied black Lexus decals followed by clear enamel high temp paint from pepboys.

I did mask off the brake assembly, but I think I got a bit over zealous with the application of the paint on the shims, pads, and lines (yea ) and definitely with the clear coat.

Here is the problem. I'm getting massive vibrations from all my wheels, along with squeaking and a bit of banging. Its pretty bad. It doesnt happen as I'm accelerating, but is VERY prominent when I release the accelerator and start coasting, or come to a red light in "D' with my foot on the brake. This is REALLY annoying me. I verified with three friends that its coming from the brake assembly, and I'm pretty sure I got a bit of paint and lots of clear coat all over the brake assembly. My pads are kinda old as is, so wats the best way to remedy this situation? I was just gonna take it to a shop, get new pads, have them resurface my rotors and have them clean out the rest of my brake assembly.

Any advice?
Go real fast, then slow down real quick a few times. I used spray-on, taped off alot of the area, but still made a decent mess and had similar noises/vibrations. A few good hard braking exercises though to clear off the pads/rotors cleaned em up pretty quick though. Haven't had any issues since.
Old 07-24-08, 11:19 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=JeffTsai;1958791]I recommend taking them off and spending the time to do the proper prep-work. Just see how mine turned out
Dang, I should of made a DIY or something. Don't worry. I will for my next mod.

Rebuilt, repainted, and new decal applied.

that's what i did to mine!
Old 07-24-08, 11:24 AM
V8LexGS
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you have drilled/slotted rotors?

I ask this because if you only have blanks....

I REPLACED my rotors this past weekend with BREMBO blanks all the way around for only $200.

I ordered the fronts from AMAZON.com SHIPPPED to my door - $100 FOR BOTH!!!!

The rears came from O'Reilly (I was totally surprised) for $99 FOR BOTH!!!

A shop is going to charge enough labor to turn all 4 rotors to where it might be more cost-effective to just replace them in the driveway yourself for $200 and call it a day.

I also got Akebobo Pro-Act ceramics for WAY below retail. From placeforbrakes.com They are out of Florida, but the pads were SO CHEAP and arrived very quickly.

I DO NOT WORK FOR EITHER COMPANY. However, I spent the greater part of a week searching the net for the best prices on these parts....and this was the best I found.

Needless to say, the new brakes are awesome.
Old 07-24-08, 11:38 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I recommend taking them off and spending the time to do the proper prep-work. Just see how mine turned out
Dang, I should of made a DIY or something. Don't worry. I will for my next mod.

Rebuilt, repainted, and new decal applied.

that's what i did to mine!

Old 07-24-08, 01:15 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i recommend using g2 caliper paint! its a brush on..........easiest ones i have ever used! hey on the supra brake kit.......is it a direct bolt on?
Old 07-24-08, 01:18 PM
kit cat

Jeff, I really really really wish you posted this like 3 days ago. I sanded the **** out of my calipers but never even thought about putting it in the oven or sanding them down after I put a few layers of paint...

oh well, my LS400 calipers will hopefully be on tomorrow. may not look as pretty as yours, but at least it'll stop better than our OEM calipers.
Old 07-24-08, 01:19 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by sakataj
i recommend using g2 caliper paint! its a brush on..........easiest ones i have ever used! hey on the supra brake kit.......is it a direct bolt on?
there are PLENTY of threads regarding this, try the search button.
Old 07-24-08, 01:23 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done doing mines yesterday and it took about one hour. spray two thin coats first, waited 5 min in between them, then one med coat. wait 10 min. then put on sticker and repeat for clear coat. I took the front pads out cleaned the caliper with brake parts cleaner,taped around the rotor. the rear just cleaned it and taped around it.....GL.
Old 07-24-08, 01:59 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Go real fast, then slow down real quick a few times. I used spray-on, taped off alot of the area, but still made a decent mess and had similar noises/vibrations. A few good hard braking exercises though to clear off the pads/rotors cleaned em up pretty quick though. Haven't had any issues since.
So this will fix the problem? The paint/clear coat spray will eventually rub off?
Old 07-24-08, 02:28 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

it should work. That's what I did 4 my overspray n I haven't had ne problems yet. Ty 4 info bout the supra kit I will look into it 2morrow as I'm sittin n a attorneys office right now