Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

got pretensioner adjusted, still problems with steering play!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 06:47 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
what do you mean, let air out? My mechanic did it, I guess? I mean if this is what you usually do when you replace the rack. Will try find the noise today, hopefully! The rack & pinion joint is a rod with a joint, about 10 inches long that pops into the steering column and has a boot on it, you install it from the inside the car, the boot isolates the noise from the outside, right on the bottom of the floor panel and then you connect it to the rack itself, that is the joint that moves the rack, I think.. But yes, the loose feeling is gone, the feel is like BMW, nice and tight, that joint was the problem, when we took it out, it had a play in it, and that was the play I felt in the steering.. Night and day difference!! Now I have to fix that noise..
I'm glad you found source of your original problem, however can't help you on your cracking noise since i'm in IL
Anyway great news for many people here, maybe they can fix their steering problems too, much easier tho......
This thread was great learning expirience, you have big props from me
Keep updates coming!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-06, 06:35 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

thanks man.. live and learn with these cars, you know.. My alignment keeps going out of wack, I did 3 alignments in last 3 weeks, they did the last 2 for free but my camber on right wheel goes out of wack?! it last 5 days and then my steering wheel is a bit to the right as I drive straight.. I am going to loosen the pretentioner today, maybe it is too tight, and that is why I get those cracking sounds, because it does sound it is too tight somewhere.. It is a lot stiffer steering feel then stock, So, I will loosen it just a bit, but not too loose, that would creat another problem people are having with loose steering!! Lexus could have done better job on steering column all together, it is a very poor weak design.. I wanted to ask you.. What are the simptoms of bad/loose lower and upper control arm, ball joints and bushings? My mechanoc said that my shock mount is bad and my upper control arm is a bit loose too.. 100k miles reveales problems little by little, showing some age, you know
Old 08-30-06, 03:13 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

ordered Tein CS v2, new ball joints and Daizen bushing kit from Todd and all problems went away after install, with millage these cars tend to wear out their bushings, tie rods and ball joints and need to be replaced, and Lexus bushings are made to be geared towards being luxury feel and soft, therefore give loose floaty feel, unlike german cars, nice and tight feel (Daizen bushing kit is a must, unless you like your boat like luxury feel ride, also shock mounts go bad and make clunk noises, so new shocks and or spring are needed or coilovers, like I did.. Also pre-tensioner needs to be tightened up to loose this loose feel and clean up the play in steering feel, also rack shaft goes bad sometimes, mine did, so that needs to be checked when there is play in steering. I hope it helps, it helped me, but costed me a lot more then I thought.

Moderator please close the thread..
Old 08-30-06, 03:14 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Hey Lexsoos, long time, but I am done! you probably saw this on my other thread I started, but here it is, I ordered Tein CS v2, new ball joints and Daizen bushing kit from Todd and all problems went away after install, with millage these cars tend to wear out their bushings, tie rods and ball joints and need to be replaced, and Lexus bushings are made to be geared towards being luxury feel and soft, therefore give loose floaty feel, unlike german cars, nice and tight feel (Daizen bushing kit is a must, unless you like your boat like luxury feel ride, also shock mounts go bad and make clunk noises, so new shocks and or spring are needed or coilovers, like I did.. Also pre-tensioner needs to be tightened up to loose this loose feel and clean up the play in steering feel, also rack shaft goes bad sometimes, mine did, so that needs to be checked when there is play in steering. I hope it helps, it helped me, but costed me a lot more then I thought.

Moderator please close the thread..