Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Death by Rear Hub Assembly?? Or am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-06, 10:00 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Death by Rear Hub Assembly?? Or am I Crazy?

Recently got a flat on my $320 Goodyear Eagle F1's and Goodyear is trying to back out of my road hazard policy....great. Upon, installing my spare I noticed a little wobble in and out. Not good.

Had it diagnoised and it is the rear bearing and most likely hub assembly. (Explains the "woo" "wooo" sound)

My SC has less than 100K miles on it, where this is most likey b/c of the drain strut that stayed on there for about a year before being replaced this year.

Labor quoted as 3.5 hours labor plus realignment.

$455 rear hub assembly from Lexus, $260 labor, $80 Alignment, plus $330 tire. Over 1G for the same problem.

So... I will take my Lexus Manuals and attempt the repair myself inorder to compensate for the cost of the new tire...not looking forward to it.

I just wanted to know before I get in too deep next week, any advice? (lol, like R.I.P. )

Thx for any input and support.

Another thread on same issue: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=wheel+hub
Old 06-20-06, 06:12 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a rear hub if you need it, 100 shipped. install isnt too bad with hand tools.
Old 06-20-06, 03:59 PM
lfrers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default .

Get the part from Gazi and do it yourself.
It's good experience and it will save you booku $$$
Old 06-20-06, 07:50 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Plan on doing the work myself, but having hard time finding someone who has done it before. Can anyone step forth from the cyber-shadows to help? Thx
Old 06-20-06, 11:09 PM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your problems. Care to explain your flat tire. I got a flat on my GSD-3's from running over a rather large chunk of asphalt on the freeway. It damaged the sidewall, this seems to be common on these tires. I've heard alot about this from VW guys that had these installed from the factory. Mine was replaced free of charge. I find it strange that they wouldn't honor their road hazard policy.

As for your hub, yea pick it up from Gazi and do it yourself. You'll be glad you did.
Old 06-21-06, 03:26 AM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XxSC400xX
Care to explain your flat tire
Nothing special, just a standard "hazard" screw. I have, however, had these tires for over year and have been through several mainly b/c I smoke the tires more than anyone should. Not doing something as silly as a burnout, just fishtailing on launch with sweet tast of rubber

Seriously though, I have heard of that probelm with the GSD-3's, but I have a 9" width, 19" tire, where I proposely seeeked the double sidewall reinforced specs to offset the heavy weight of the car. This is why, I haven't encountered the "bubble" effect only once, where I was cornering hard on a turn (suppose to be 45 - doing 78) and ran into a ginormous pothold on the leaning tire side.

Very impress the tire didn't blow out , only bubbled,as I had $550 worth of corner rim damage

Check the specs on GoodYear site to find out what verions of the GSD-3 are double side reinforced.

Oh.. and they are sticky enough to stop that nasty SC 360' rotation trick on the local streets.
Old 06-23-06, 10:09 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Just got the part in today from a Salvage yard in TN, where it looks like they mislabeled the parts in their inventory!!!

...sigh..look out for another thread..sigh...
Old 06-24-06, 05:18 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

which side do you need?
Old 06-24-06, 06:41 AM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aliga
which side do you need?
Passenger rear.....I need one with low miles since I am only at 90,000.
Old 06-28-06, 01:39 PM
armstrong
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear Hub Solution

The wobble you feel in you rear hub is most likely caused by the rear carrier bushing which attaches to the trailing arm failing. Usually this bushing goes out and if you take it to a lexus dealer they will tell you that you have to replace the entire carrier. This is not true! You can buy the bushing for a very reasonable amount (about $32.00 retail) and have it installed and it will absolutely solve this problem. I work for the company that manufactures these bushings and many others for the SC coupe and LS400. Feel free to send me an e-mail for more information.