Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein SS Coilovers for the IS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 03:58 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Tein SS Coilovers for the IS!!!

My shop guy just called me to let me know that Tein officially released their SS (Super Street) coilovers for the IS!!! Their list price should be somewhere around $1,000.00. The SS coilovers should be somewhat comparable to the JIC Magic coilovers already available for the vehicle, and feature 16 levels of dampening force.

I want the CS (Comfort Spec) coilover which according to them, should keep the Lexus ride quality (maybe the CL members here who own them can confirm/deny this) and is scheduled to be released in less than two months (hopefully!!) The CS coilovers should run at approximately $1,400.00.

Both, the SS and CS coilovers are/will be EDFC compatible, which means that with the purchase of a $300 something control unit, you can adjust the dampening level from the comfort of your car, with just a couple of button presses. Does anyone here with Tein coilovers own this product??? Is it really all that is hyped up to be??? Please provide some feedback on the matter!!! Thanks!!
Old 06-21-06, 04:50 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1400??

If you want to keep the stock ride quality, then what would be the reason for putting new coilovers in? I understand the adjustability factor, but really it doesn't make much sense from my perspective. Either you want the car to handle great and ride firm, or you don't. I don't forsee people (outside of autocrossers) getting out of the car and adjusting the units on any type of regular basis.

Man, maybe it's just me, but I can't fathom spending that kind of money on something like that.

I would, however, love to put some good stiff shocks in my IS. Something that is stiff all the time, assuming that this type of unit will be much less expensive.
Old 06-21-06, 05:27 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

^^ thats what EDFC is for FF. it uses actuators to change the damper's force level so you can change from soft and rolly to firm and hard in i think 10 seconds for the full switch from inside your car.

i'm sure there's been a time or two when you were just cruising and you had to start driving a little aggresive due to an emergency or something, wouldn't be a bad thing to turn up the damper force.

or if you are an auto-x w/ only a DD and want to have a track car and somewhat close to stock ride as well.

and btw 1400 is not much to get suprised about w/ coils, especially from tein or tanabe. JIC's were more expensive than that i believe.
Old 06-21-06, 05:53 AM
MLEE4984
Lead Lap

Any info for the AWD version or are they all compatible since I am seeing a lot of people using the springs for the RWD.

-Mike
Old 06-21-06, 05:54 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex350
My shop guy just called me to let me know that Tein officially released their SS (Super Street) coilovers for the IS!!! Their list price should be somewhere around $1,000.00. The SS coilovers should be somewhat comparable to the JIC Magic coilovers already available for the vehicle, and feature 16 levels of dampening force.

I want the CS (Comfort Spec) coilover which according to them, should keep the Lexus ride quality (maybe the CL members here who own them can confirm/deny this) and is scheduled to be released in less than two months (hopefully!!) The CS coilovers should run at approximately $1,400.00.

Both, the SS and CS coilovers are/will be EDFC compatible, which means that with the purchase of a $300 something control unit, you can adjust the dampening level from the comfort of your car, with just a couple of button presses. Does anyone here with Tein coilovers own this product??? Is it really all that is hyped up to be??? Please provide some feedback on the matter!!! Thanks!!
Do you have a funcitonal link to any futher information? I tried both the US and Japanese version of the site, but both are timing out.
Old 06-21-06, 06:12 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uschardcor
i'm sure there's been a time or two when you were just cruising and you had to start driving a little aggresive due to an emergency or something, wouldn't be a bad thing to turn up the damper force.
If I had to make an emegency lane change on the highway, I'm not going to have time to reach over and adjust the damper force, wait 10 seconds, then steer the car. In the event that an emergency manuver was required, you'd want the high damper force to be on immediately (i.e. all the time). Which is one reason why, in my mind, it would make more sense to buy a unit that's firm all the time. Probably less expensive, and maybe/probably more reliable.
Old 06-21-06, 06:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
$1400??

If you want to keep the stock ride quality, then what would be the reason for putting new coilovers in? I understand the adjustability factor, but really it doesn't make much sense from my perspective. Either you want the car to handle great and ride firm, or you don't. I don't forsee people (outside of autocrossers) getting out of the car and adjusting the units on any type of regular basis.

Man, maybe it's just me, but I can't fathom spending that kind of money on something like that.

I would, however, love to put some good stiff shocks in my IS. Something that is stiff all the time, assuming that this type of unit will be much less expensive.
upgraded suspension doesnt necessarily mean reduced ride quality. In my prelude after changing to coilovers, adjustable shocks, even getting 215/35/18 tires the car was a lot less wobbly vs stock suspension and 205/50/16 tires. On highway rides it was a lot smoother and stable than stock, of course you can feel bumps more since I had 215/35/18. Ive had friends that arent into performance ride with me and they only use a car as a commuter and they didnt have any complaints about the ride comfort. Dad has a 2000 740 and he thinks the lude rides fine. It all matters on how you adjust your dampening rates, I have the optimal settings set on my front and rear for the prelude and I only have 4 settings vs Teins 16
Old 06-21-06, 06:24 AM
cliverman
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
If I had to make an emegency lane change on the highway, I'm not going to have time to reach over and adjust the damper force, wait 10 seconds, then steer the car. In the event that an emergency manuver was required, you'd want the high damper force to be on immediately (i.e. all the time). Which is one reason why, in my mind, it would make more sense to buy a unit that's firm all the time. Probably less expensive, and maybe/probably more reliable.
Gotta agree. Who's goona change the damper on the fly during an emergency? Nobody. I like the idea of being able to change the settings while in the car - cool toy for us non racers.
Old 06-21-06, 07:45 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

$1400 is quite an investment . . . right now im gonna install the eibachs and see how i like them. I guess if im not happy in a couple months i might go with the coilovers . . . but i have heard nothing but great things about the prokit
Old 06-21-06, 08:03 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

edfc is a hype imho. How often are you going to change your settings once you get it? other than the first week or 2 of getting them? I've had my JIC's for about 2 months now and i've only adjusted it twice or maybe 3 times . First time was to test out the softest/stiffest seting and 2nd because a girl was coming in my car haha.
Old 06-21-06, 08:33 AM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mwaull
$1400 is quite an investment . . . right now im gonna install the eibachs and see how i like them. I guess if im not happy in a couple months i might go with the coilovers . . . but i have heard nothing but great things about the prokit
I just put the pro kit back in my car, and I couldn't agree more. I love the ride, control and overall look of my ride. Way more responsive when it comes to cornering, etc. I am going to get the eibach sway bar set in 2 weeks and see how that helps the body roll.
Old 06-21-06, 08:34 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The EDFC is a cool feature but I agree with ihkskim. Unless you're a hardcore weekend racer, once you find the right level of dampening, you'll set it and forget it.

The EDFC also adds a lot of weight. IIRC, the EDFC will add about 70-80 lbs for all of the hardware required. The IS is already portly IMO. Mods should either keep the weight the same or reduce it.
Old 06-21-06, 09:35 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by al503
The EDFC also adds a lot of weight. IIRC, the EDFC will add about 70-80 lbs for all of the hardware required.
You're kidding...? That's a lot of weight. One more reason to go with something more simple.
Old 06-21-06, 09:40 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting on the CS. Besides, who would pay $1400? That's retail.
Old 06-21-06, 09:45 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
You're kidding...? That's a lot of weight. One more reason to go with something more simple.
Nope. The control unit is very small and can't weigh more than a pound. It's the wiring, and hardware that actually make the mechanical adjustments that weigh alot.

Quick Reply: Tein SS Coilovers for the IS!!!