Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

134K miles on 1998 SC400 - replace upper c/a's AND lca's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 04:13 PM
akitamike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 134K miles on 1998 SC400 - replace upper c/a's AND lca's?

I have searched many, many threads re this point, so please help me out. After researching, I will purchase the supra lca's (get the new ball joint and bushings) instead of just pressing in new bushings. I'm also replacing the 4 leaky struts/shocks with Tokico blues, keeping stock springs, replacing steering rack and sway bar bushings also.

But, at this mileage, do I need to replace the bushings in the front upper c/a's also while I'm there. Costwise, since I won't go with the Daizen's, it's only $120-140 extra to get completely new OEM upper c/a's rather than going with new rubber busings. But, I don't want to have to spend the $400 for these upper c/a's if not necessary. Is there a consensus that these bushings should be replaced at this mileage, since the labor is being expended in that area anyway? Thanks in advance.

Lastly, would you'all recommend new end-links at this time as well?
Old 07-08-06, 05:12 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default bushings

Mike,

I am completely green on this. I did read a recent post where the poster had installed the lowers only and was very pleased with the result. Just a little road vibration in the wheel. He went on to say that he had experience in this mod and that doing the upper also would result in a too harsh ride where bumps were concerned.

Maybe other posts will help you more. Do a search such as "upper control arm bushings" and maybe you can pick up his thread.

Play hard and safe

John
Old 07-09-06, 03:47 AM
bmatsu
Driver

Hi,

Just remember the front LCA's fit from a supra, the rear suspensions parts you cannot swap.

So you might have to change the rear bushings. Change the upper bushings rear and front if you are looking for more performance, just change the LCA bushings front and rear if you are looking for OEM ride qualities.

Since you are changing the LCA's and the bushings you might as well change the end link bushings with new ones, the Diazen's will work well and stiffen the sway bars a bit, but not affect the ride quality.

Good luck with the upgrades