Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

how much camber are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 08:47 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how much camber are you running?

and how long do you think my tires will last at -5 degrees?
Old 07-06-06, 09:14 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Better stock up on tires man!

I'm gonna go check out that -5 degrees camber!
Old 07-06-06, 10:31 AM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm -5 degrees. I would actually like to see that. I would think that you won't get much contact with the ground with that degree of camber. But tire width does play a roll into that also. What are the specs on the wheels and tires you gonna be rocking? I asume you got another set for you're collection.
Old 07-06-06, 10:36 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SinisterSC
umm -5 degrees. I would actually like to see that. I would think that you won't get much contact with the ground with that degree of camber. But tire width does play a roll into that also. What are the specs on the wheels and tires you gonna be rocking? I asume you got another set for you're collection.

hahAAH... yes i sure did

i'm actually already rockin'em (pics shortly)

19's 9.5 and 10.5 +22 all around

235/35 up front and 255/35 out back

the extreme camber, stretch tire, and slight pull of the fenders was necessary to tuck'em in

i'm tryin to figure out how to mod the inside of the fender to allow me to come back to at least -3 or -2.5 degrees
Old 07-06-06, 11:12 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running -3.5 deg all around. I've had an alignment and they are wearing just fine. It's toe that will eat up tires fast not camber. I really need a lot more. I am planning to cut , shorten, and weld the rear upper control arm.

I have Daizen camber bushings installed to add more neg camber.

Can't wait for pics
Old 07-06-06, 11:21 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

TUrboteg!.... i'm glad you posted here....i definately give you mad props for the major fender pull that still looks stock!

if you don't mind me asking... what's your secret to making it look stock still?

here's my dillemma right now..

i'm running 19x9.5 and 10.5 +22 all around on my car...

running stretched tires

with a very very mild pull (maybe 3-5mm) i was able to tuck the rims under the fender.... the problem however is that on 1 side... the tires rub up against the inside of the fender (yenno the part inside that bulges out.... kinda like a lip on the upper inside part of the fender) AND... perhaps the biggest problem... is that I had to run -5 degrees in the back to make it work...

It looks mean as hell and super VIP with the neg camber.... but man i just cannot afford to be buying 19" tires every couple of months!

How can i pull the fenders and still make it look stock... and how can i solve that "inside of the fender rubbing" problem?

Also... did you mess of your paint with the pull?

PS - that -5 was on the stock adjustment... i didn't need camber plates... my fronts are at -3
Old 07-06-06, 11:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I have no idea what my camber is right now. My car isn't daily so I had no plans on trying to correct the camber.
Old 07-06-06, 11:37 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Thanks !

Ok lots of questions I'll do my best to answer them.

First of all wow to get -5 with stock adjustments! Is that when are sitting very low? On Tein Basic coilovers as low as they will go I was at -1.5 deg camber. I had to install Daizen bushings backwards to get -2.0 more to get -3.5. I need a LOT more to fit mine flush with the pull in the back. I'm going to machine the backs of the wheels, more stretch (!), and then more camber. At -5 deg I don't think you'll go through tires that fast. I have very little wear so far at -3.5
Just make sure you get an alignment and set the toe!

The pull was a long process done by an experienced body guy who did it on the side for me. About 40 hrs went into the front and rear fenders. Front fenders (Vertex) were cut and reglassed 5mm wider. Rears were pulled slowly using my fender roller. He also did a lot of hammering and smoothing to make the pull as smooth as possible. We didn't want the "duckbill" look that many pulls end up looking like. Yes we had to paint it afterwards. Sounds like you just need a small pull and I have seen people pull without needing paint afterwards! Just use a roller and go very slow and keep the paint warm.

You must be really low There is an old thread which I need to find which talks about relocating the harness. That is the first step. I haven't relocated mine yet and it hits the plastic harness protector on big bumps.

I'm not sure which piece your talking about hitting. In your case though I would cut the fenders so there is no lip on them. I am not running fender liners in the front as well. If your talking about that lip that the harness is attached to, you could it relocate and cut that metal out.

Old 07-06-06, 12:32 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

i agre 43289473298749823794723974% with teg, make sure you're toe is good and you're good to go. Toe is what kills the tires, not the camber.
Old 07-06-06, 01:18 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

yes i'm sitting very low (or high.. i'm on air suspension)

when i had it aligned... my first priority was for it to be able to tuck into the fenders while at the same time not let the rim hit the air bag.... they ended up having to adjust the camber full tilt... we looked at the screen and it said -5 !! The rims right now barely tucks in... it rubs on the fenders (my rear fenders are already shaved)

we did a mild pull on the lip (rear) to get it to clear... however... the other side is a different story... we did the same thing... but the tire rubs up against a lump on the inside of the fender... i'm thinking i might have to hammer out some stuff

as for the front fender.... yes i need to relocate the wire harness as well... (is it driver side or passenger?)

my toe is on point.... i'm just worried about the camber
Old 07-06-06, 06:42 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

So you have rubbing on the passenger rear? I noticed that little **** when I was under there today actually. Doesn't look like I hit it, but I'm not as low as you are!

Drivers front has the harness and it will hit that first

-5 deg is not too bad. They won't last as long, but they will last longer because your toe is good. I'm considering running more than that in the rear to make mine more flush ha - 10 deg ? haha

This is the challenge or running air suspension with aggressive offsets. You want it pretty flush, but you need it to tuck under the fender when you lay it really low.

Hammer, cut, grind .. anything you can to make it work. I'm still having to do more grinding and hammering to get rid of the rubbing. It's all in the name of having a badass wheel setup
Old 07-07-06, 08:29 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

yea man.... i really would like to bring it back to at least -3... -2.5 would be awesome... reason being I don't like how my handling has changed because of it.

I spent so much time and effort into designing my air suspension so that I can maintain an excellent performance aspect of it all... and lose it because of camber.... yenno what i mean?
Old 07-09-06, 03:22 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

okay pics

rear camber (-5 on stock adjustments)

Believe it or not... i can slide a credit card through that and still roll ! (used a bat to pull and roll... remember fenders are already shaved)

Driver side.... you can see where I messed up the pull (thats what i get for doing it with a bat)
You can also see this little bulge on the inside... this is what I'm talking about that hits my tire on the driver side... is it safe to hammer this out?

And just a sneak peak of what this all looks like before I wash her up and do another photo shoot...

Old 07-09-06, 04:08 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

wow... lovin the new look!

all of the modded SC's should get together and do a photoshoot!
Old 07-09-06, 04:25 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

so what tire sizes did you end up going with?

Quick Reply: how much camber are you running?