Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Read this before you install new brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 09:25 PM
actuary
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Read this before you install new brake lines

I installed my Goodridge stainless steel brake lines today and it took a lot longer than expected. It seems that the threaded nut that goes onto the brake line from the hard lines has a flare on the end of it that gets stretched after years of use. The only way to get it on the brake line is to grind the flare down very carefully with a dremel or similar tool. I wish I knew this before spending 3 hours on a job that should have taken 30 minutes
Old 07-15-06, 07:32 PM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

Wow that sucks, I'm glad I didn't have that problem on mine. How do you like them, now that you've got em?
Old 07-15-06, 11:46 PM
actuary
Driver

Originally Posted by KidPandJ
Wow that sucks, I'm glad I didn't have that problem on mine. How do you like them, now that you've got em?
I only got the rears on so far so I dont feel much of a difference. I'll be putting the fronts on with new rotors and LS400 calipers so I won't be able to pinpoint the change just from the brake lines. I got all the parts ready to go, just got to get some time to do it.
Old 07-18-06, 12:57 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by actuary
I only got the rears on so far so I dont feel much of a difference. I'll be putting the fronts on with new rotors and LS400 calipers so I won't be able to pinpoint the change just from the brake lines. I got all the parts ready to go, just got to get some time to do it.

Did you use an actual flare nut wrench for the job or just a typical crescent wrench?
Old 07-18-06, 11:02 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake caliper change

Act,

You mentioned you were going to install LS400 brake calipers. Is that on an SC400? How is that a better caliper? Will it fit with stock rims? Are you using the stock rotor? Lastly, I read a post where the Lex pilot installed a large caliper and rotor and he said the difference was phenominal and that his ABS would not function. Will your ABS function?

I have a 92 SC400 and am curious about my opyions and what else I have to change.

Thanks for your post.

John
Old 07-19-06, 12:31 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Angry

please post pictures
Old 07-19-06, 08:57 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

I did the LS400 brake upgrade, and had the same problems you did. Only i made my upgrade worse by breaking the hardlines after getting annoyed with removing the old brake lines. So i decided to go with stop tech SS lines and had to bend my own hardline to replace the broken ones. If you break them at least the lexus dealer near me had the part on backorder for 2 weeks so be very carefull and save your self the trouble.

Old 07-19-06, 09:05 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JohnEd
Act,

You mentioned you were going to install LS400 brake calipers. Is that on an SC400? How is that a better caliper? Will it fit with stock rims? Are you using the stock rotor? Lastly, I read a post where the Lex pilot installed a large caliper and rotor and he said the difference was phenominal and that his ABS would not function. Will your ABS function?

I have a 92 SC400 and am curious about my opyions and what else I have to change.

Thanks for your post.

John

John,

You will need the 95-96 LS400 rotors ( cheapest are on rockauto.com ), calipers ( buy rebuilt loaded ones with pads from advanced auto etc and turn in your core ), And while your at it pick up some front stainless steel brake lines from stoptech. You must have high disk fitment wheels (ie supra tt wheels) in order for them to clear. Also you need to cut off the dust, very simple and easy to do.

Goodluck its a way better value then the supra tt brake upgrade. Both the LS400 and the Supra TT calipers are four piston.

This is what happens when you buy non zinc coated rotors and it rains.... haha

Old 07-20-06, 09:30 PM
D3AN
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish I read this before I installed the lines...I spent a friggin long time trying to push the line in to screw on...eventually I used a filer and that did the trick
Old 08-02-06, 03:17 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

thanks for the heads up

I'm installing Goodridge SS lines for the TT supra this weekend with any luck.
Old 08-06-06, 11:33 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default flair fittings

Guys,

In the past I have also had trouble getting fittings to go back together. Once in a while I had trouble getting them to come apart. The reason flairs seemed to grow is that the fiting is over torqued by the guy that tightened it last.. All of the brake fittings I have seen have a double flairs on them. Filing them down to reduce their stretched or pressed increased diameter will put you close filing a flair in half. Whether this would leak or break I don't know. It can't bode well though for the brakes. I think you will end up with a single flair and all breaks are required to be double flair.

Over torqueing was much more of a problem in the past when we worked with copper fuel lines. We learned quickly that over torquing a fitting would create a permanent joint.

Just some thoughts.

John