Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Gonna be replacing my Brake Pad/Rotors & Shocks/Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 05:40 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna be replacing my Brake Pad/Rotors & Shocks/Springs

My Lexus ride has been very very sporty/bumpy. I had a passenger complain "Why is it so bumpy for?" I tried to cover it up by saying, "Look at the roads, there's potholes" but then again she brought it up when the roads were clear "This is not how a Lexus is supposed to drive.. It feels like I'm in an STI" haha. So now I'm thinking, I need to replace the Springs and Shocks. I'm assuming they are shot/soft. What are the best ones to get to get the very QUIET smooth ride that will make it feel like they really are in a LEXUS.

Another thing I'm looking for is to replace my Brake Pads/Rotors. Whenever I stop, I feel the wheel vibrate and the car vibrate. It just doesn't seem normal. My car has 150,000 miles on it and I don't think it was ever changed so it's time. What kind of Brake Pads are best? I've heard OEM, but not sure. Also Rotors? Should I just re-surface it or get brand new ones? What are the Pros/Cons for Drilled&Slotted Rotors? Remember now, I want to get a very smooth quiet ride like it's a brand new car.
Old 07-20-06, 06:00 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

You could be experienced a bumpy uncontroleld ride from your other suspension components, like the control arms, bushings, and ball-joints. When these are worn out, the best coilovers in the world won't work to their full potential.
Old 07-20-06, 07:20 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 409 Likes on 284 Posts

LOL I can guarantee your brake pads have been replaced several times over 150k miles...maybe not the rotors, hence the vibrations because they are obviously worn/warped/shot. OE brake pads are good, so are Denso pads which are what I have (I'm not sure who makes the OE pads, they might be Denso). Drilled/Slotted rotors will improve your stopping power and give you a firmer feel on the brake pedal as well as a nicer exterior appearance.
Old 07-20-06, 08:24 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Thanks, I'll check out those brake pads. I'm definatley liking the Drilled&Slotted Rotors. I am just paranoid when I say it probably was never changed because I don't even think my Timing Belt /Water Pump was changed since there is no sign of proof...but then again I think if it wasn't changed, it would've broke by 150K miles. What suspension/brakes do people usually get off the Supra turbo? Are those the brake-pads or just the Calipers? because I've heard that the Supra turbo's braking is excellent and I would like to witness that kind of stopping distance.

What would you recommend for a quiet, very smooooooth ride for suspension? I'm going for the quiet ride as to where if I'm on the phone, they won't even be able to tell I'm driving.
Old 07-21-06, 06:25 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 409 Likes on 284 Posts

The Supra TT suspension that people do usually includes TT springs, TT shocks, TT Control Arms. The brake upgrade is generally TT rotors and TT calipers and consequently TT pads, that way you are swapping the total brake package from the TT to the SC, but if you want to do this, you will need rims that can clear a Big Brake Kit (i.e. a wheel that has "high disk fitment"), otherwise they won't fit and then you can't drive the car unless you want to see how well TT rotors work as wheels . Another option in the braking department is to put LS400 components in, they are not as good as the Supra Turbo parts, but they are huge improvement over our stock crap and some say that the LS4 upgrade is a better value than the TT upgrade since both are a 4 piston setup, its just that the TT rotor is a tad bit larger.

For the smoothest ride, I would say you should stick to NEW OEM parts for the suspension. I don't think any aftermarket setup will yield better results than new OEM components. If you want to lower the car, I hear that the Eibach Pro-Kit + Tokico Shocks will give you the closest ride to OEM while lowering around 1 inch.

Last edited by np20412; 07-21-06 at 06:33 AM.