Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Spring Install! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-06, 12:53 PM
IS-Jim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Install! HELP!

Those of you who have Eibachs pro-kit did you have any problems with the install, or did the installer? The springs that I have are not flat at the top and dont fit into the rubber stop... Does this sound right? or am I missing something... All the part numbers match up on the springs.. I called my local mech. and he told me I might need some type of adapter for it to fit into.

I don't see anything on Eibach site about an install kit.. In the directions it says to re-use all the original parts..

any imput?
Old 07-29-06, 02:41 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed that, but once you get the spring installed, they are fine. It just takes a bit of fiddling with the spring compressors to get them it there straight. The rubber bushings will take a while to mold themselves to the new springs.
Old 08-08-06, 06:54 AM
fueledbyme
6th Gear

How has the ride quality been since you guys installed your springs? How about the handling - any improvements?
Old 08-08-06, 07:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

hopefully you bought aftermarket shocks to go with aftermarket springs, running springs on OEM shocks = bounce choppy ride fest
Old 08-08-06, 07:29 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
hopefully you bought aftermarket shocks to go with aftermarket springs, running springs on OEM shocks = bounce choppy ride fest
not sure how your car rides but mine rides just a bit harsher than stock using Teins S-tech and stock shocks. its not choppy at all, but its probably a more harsh due to the tire profile.

as far as the springs, they should be marked front and rear. mine are Teins and the front springs were flat at the top. i also would reccomend that you have your installer trim the bumpstops as well. its really hard for the springs to get mixed up. take a pic of the spring so we can help you out.
Old 08-08-06, 07:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS_250
not sure how your car rides but mine rides just a bit harsher than stock using Teins S-tech and stock shocks. its not choppy at all, but its probably a more harsh due to the tire profile.

as far as the springs, they should be marked front and rear. mine are Teins and the front springs were flat at the top. i also would reccomend that you have your installer trim the bumpstops as well. its really hard for the springs to get mixed up. take a pic of the spring so we can help you out.
if the spring rates are a good size over the stock spring rates and if you dont change the shocks it will be worse ride, some springs are close to stock rates so a shock change isnt that necessary. Not to mention with aftermarket shocks you can adjust the dampening rate (stiffness) something you cant do with OEM shocks, that alone would be a good reason to change shocks even if the spring rate difference isnt much because you can adjust the ride quality as you like
Old 08-08-06, 07:57 AM
IS-Jim
Driver

I ended up haveing a Mech do mine. They are perfect i think.. The ride is just fine with stock shocks. Handling has imporved 40-45%. I love them!
Old 08-08-06, 08:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I was a bit worried about the stock dampers, but they turned out fine. I really haven't noticed much change in ride quality, but it didn't seem to help the handling that much. I wish the front springs were stiffer to reduce understeer. Hopefully someone will release a large adjustable rear swaybar soon.
Old 08-08-06, 09:38 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

if the spring rates are a good size over the stock spring rates and if you dont change the shocks it will be worse ride, some springs are close to stock rates so a shock change isnt that necessary. Not to mention with aftermarket shocks you can adjust the dampening rate (stiffness) something you cant do with OEM shocks, that alone would be a good reason to change shocks even if the spring rate difference isnt much because you can adjust the ride quality as you like
until there are aftermarket shocks available there really isnt an option right now. i would think that the spring manufacturers would take into consideration that their springs would be used with OEM shocks so i dont think there would be that much of a difference. ive lowered several cars using OEM shocks with eibachs, H&R, and Tein springs. the only time i think the ride really suffers is when the drop is pretty drastic like a +2" drop on OEM shocks. personally i'll never have a need for coilovers on my IS so i just cant justify the cost. IMO, using quality springs such as eibach, h&r, or tein with oem shocks is the best and cheapest method to lower the car.
Old 08-08-06, 09:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS_250
until there are aftermarket shocks available there really isnt an option right now. i would think that the spring manufacturers would take into consideration that their springs would be used with OEM shocks so i dont think there would be that much of a difference. ive lowered several cars using OEM shocks with eibachs, H&R, and Tein springs. the only time i think the ride really suffers is when the drop is pretty drastic like a +2" drop on OEM shocks. personally i'll never have a need for coilovers on my IS so i just cant justify the cost. IMO, using quality springs such as eibach, h&r, or tein with oem shocks is the best and cheapest method to lower the car.
spring manafacturers dont really care or try to design their springs to work with OEM shocks, to reduce body roll and have better handling you cant avoid having to go with a much higher spring rate than stock, and with those springs you have to get aftermarket shocks unless you want to have a choppy ride (OEM shocks cant dampen spring rates that are too high). It may feel fine now in a few years the OEM will wear out fast because of the higher spring rate. Id rather do stuff correctly the first time rather than: install springs, alignment, OEM shocks get worn, buy shocks, install shocks, alignment again. People highly underestimate how much the shocks mean to ride quality than the springs. With aftermarket shocks you can adjust different sides of the car to be stiffer/softer than the front or rear, something OEM shocks will never do

my prelude rode better than stock (wasnt as wobbly) after getting a full suspension, spring rates went up a good amount but I got KYB AGX struts, even with 215/35/18 tires it rode far more stable and less wobbly than stock on the highway. Ive had people that arent even into cars, that drive comfy cars, and they said my ride quality is fine which is because picked the right struts and have their dampening settings set properly.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-08-06 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 09:57 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

spring manafacturers dont really care or try to design their springs to work with OEM shocks, to reduce body roll and have better handling you cant avoid having to go with a much higher spring rate than stock, and with those springs you have to get aftermarket shocks unless you want to have a choppy ride (OEM shocks cant dampen spring rates that are too high). It may feel fine now in a few years the OEM will wear out fast because of the higher spring rate. Id rather do stuff correctly the first time rather than: install springs, alignment, OEM shocks get worn, buy shocks, install shocks, alignment again. People highly underestimate how much the shocks mean to ride quality than the springs. With aftermarket shocks you can adjust different sides of the car to be stiffer/softer than the front or rear, something OEM shocks will never do
You don't seem to be listening here (or reading). The stock shocks are fine for THIS application. The problems that you speak of just aren't an issue on this car. The stock suspension is already heavily damped, probably too much for the stock springs. On top of that, the springs that have been released for the IS don't seem to be that agressive.
Old 08-08-06, 10:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

i dont find the IS to be heavy damped, the car was ultra smooth during 4 test drives vs what I drive now which is still fairly smooth considering what suspension/tire mods I have. Im trying to speak generally because I basically put my head down when anyone asks hows the ride quality on those springs, its not only springs. Who knows maybe these springs arent that much higher than stock, no one seems to be listing springs rates for aftermarket vs stock. Just dont be surprised in a couple years when the ride gets worse, because its obvious what happened. Adjustability of AM shocks are enough reason to get it, that way you can control ride quality and your traction properties by messing with teh dampening settings. To me not getting shocks during a spring upgrade is like doing your timing belt without changing the water pump, youre there you might as well do it rather than later on breaking it down to do it again
Old 08-08-06, 10:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

i dont find the IS to be heavy damped, the car was ultra smooth during 4 test drives vs what I drive now which is still fairly smooth considering what suspension/tire mods I have. Im trying to speak generally because I basically put my head down when anyone asks hows the ride quality on those springs, its not only springs. Who knows maybe these springs arent that much higher than stock, no one seems to be listing springs rates for aftermarket vs stock. Just dont be surprised in a couple years when the ride gets worse, because its obvious what happened. Adjustability of AM shocks are enough reason to get it, that way you can control ride quality and your traction properties by messing with teh dampening settings. To me not getting shocks during a spring upgrade is like doing your timing belt without changing the water pump, youre there you might as well do it rather than later on breaking it down to do it again
I've had adjustable shocks on previous cars, and I'm sure I'll have them again. Shocks should be replaced every ~40K miles anyway. I haven't seen any aftermarket shocks for the 2IS yet, so it's kind of a moot point.
Old 08-08-06, 07:43 PM
MNguyen281
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gernby
I've had adjustable shocks on previous cars, and I'm sure I'll have them again. Shocks should be replaced every ~40K miles anyway. I haven't seen any aftermarket shocks for the 2IS yet, so it's kind of a moot point.
EXACTLY. this is the ONLY reason why people are not installing new shocks with their springs. this is the ONLY reason why I haven't done it yet. You talk like people have a choice and are choosing not to upgrade their shocks...
Old 01-16-08, 09:57 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but I am installing the Eibach Prokit on my 08 AWD IS250 as we speak and I ran into this same problem on the rear. It worries me that they dont sit flush like the OEM springs, however, I guess everyone must have encountered this who has the Eibachs... maybe Im just overreacting.

Quick Reply: Spring Install! HELP!