Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tiny rust spots all over my paint from front brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 07:10 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
A buddy of mine has a mobile detailing business, and he is over right now cleaning my car. Once he started doing the clay bar treatment, he called me out to show me that the entire car is covered with TINY rust spots. They are very hard to see without focusing your eyes just right, but once you see one, you see hundreds. The only reason we can come up with for them being so abundant is brake dust from the front pads. Has anyone noticed this? Has anyone found a less aggressive brake pad for the front to reduce brake dust?
I suppose this visual is accurate.

...and proceed to drag the metal bits across the paint
Nah, a good clay bar will work fine, and should not hurt the paint.
Old 08-03-06, 07:19 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Would you prefer just leaving them there?
Old 08-03-06, 08:30 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
That won't happen. The bits get transferred and embedded into the clay where they no longer make contact with the clearcoat. The clay is softer than the clearcoat and swallows up the bits.
Old 08-03-06, 09:59 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tgara
That won't happen. The bits get transferred and embedded into the clay where they no longer make contact with the clearcoat. The clay is softer than the clearcoat and swallows up the bits.
I don't buy it for a second. If the clay bar is firm enough to pull pieces of debris out of clearcoat, then it's firm enough that the debris isn't going to completely embed itself, sucked away into a magical black hole. The clay bar would need to be as soft as a warm stick of margarine for that to be the case.
Old 08-03-06, 10:08 AM
JoeLexusIS
Driver School Candidate

I had the same "rust spot" problem on my CW IS350 when I picked it up...Brought it to my detail guy and he clayed the car and 99% of it is gone with no scratches at all from it.
Old 08-03-06, 10:23 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
I don't buy it for a second. If the clay bar is firm enough to pull pieces of debris out of clearcoat, then it's firm enough that the debris isn't going to completely embed itself, sucked away into a magical black hole. The clay bar would need to be as soft as a warm stick of margarine for that to be the case.
Again I ask ... would you prefer to just leave the metal flakes embedded in the paint? It won't go away on its own, or even by washing it. Besides, washing a car is somewhat damaging to the paint. Do you ever wash your car?

After having my car clayed and sealed, it is smoother than anything I've ever touched or seen. Way moreso than when I bought it.
Old 08-03-06, 10:24 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by ff_
Have you used a clay bar before? If not, it isn't necessarily the firmness which grabs the contaminents in the paint, its the sticking properties. You also don't just rub it, but constantly fold it over, like you would a paper towel trying to wipe something up. The clay molds to the form of the cars surface, similar to play doh or putty, and is very easy (and pretty fun actually) to use...we're talking very fine/miniscule contaminents in the paint, not something harsh or abrasive enough to start scratching as you believe, in most cases. If that were the case, the object would probably be big enough to just scratch your paint period, then deflect off the car, in the typical fashion of a rock/pebble and such. Check it out sometime, as it works wonders on aged paint.
Old 08-03-06, 10:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
because all the top detaiers use clay bars to mess up their paint. You need to clay a car youll be astonished to see how much crap gets sucked off the paint
Old 08-03-06, 10:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Buy it. Will turn a rough feeling finish amazingly slick.

Be forewarned - claybars are NOT easy to use, especially keeping enough lubrication (water and quick detailer) sprayed on the surface of the paint while you use it and making sure to fold the clay frequently enough. Search in our detailing forum for some good 'how to' discussion.
Old 08-03-06, 10:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they arent that hard to use, just the first time its strange. Just do not drop the clay bar on the ground because you will pick up sand dirty particles and you dont want to clay that car with taht. Keeping track of where you have clayed and havent clayed is somewhat tricky at first, feel around for rough spots and smooth spots
Old 08-03-06, 10:53 AM
Markie1985
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Shinobi-X]I suppose this visual is accurate.

This is what mine looks like too. Why should any one of us pay for a detail service on a brand new car with rust dots im calling Lexus right now to take care of it.
Old 08-03-06, 11:13 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
they arent that hard to use, just the first time its strange.
Basically. I always found it pretty easy, far from complicated, and straight forward...certainly more easy than a host of other task, but to each his own I suppose.

Why should any one of us pay for a detail service on a brand new car with rust dots im calling Lexus right now to take care of it.
Did yours come like that (sitting on the lot)? I would ask them to clean it up without a doubt if that were the case, otherwise it happens over the course of owning a car at times.
Old 08-03-06, 11:14 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
Its OK to be skeptical. Full disclosure, I was skeptical about clay bars too. Until I tried one. Now I swear by them -- they really work, and do not damage the finish. Many people have used them for years with great success. You should give it a try and see for yourself.
Old 08-03-06, 11:39 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I'm open to trying new things. I'll give the clay bar some consideration.
Old 08-03-06, 11:55 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clay bars are also great for the windows.

Quick Reply: Tiny rust spots all over my paint from front brakes?