Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

drilled brake rotors??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 09:57 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
Don't cross drilled rotors chew up brake pads faster? The pads on the front of this thing already dust enough, and have a fairly short life compared to most OEM pads.
All other things being equal, drilled and/or slotted rotors have to go through pads quicker. In my experience though, the difference has been almost unnoticeable much to my surprise.
Old 08-05-06, 07:23 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After using drilled and non-drilled rotors on the track, I will never use drilled again unless the whole system is upgraded to match them (larger diameter rotor, etc.). The reduced mass caused them to heat cycle way too much, and they couldn't take it. Not only did the rotors crack and peal (like an onion skin), but the pads were destroyed.

I agree that they can looks nice, but if you want reduced weight, a better solution might just be to swap them out with IS 250 brakes. They wouldn't be good for the track, but would probably be great for autocrossing if someone released a good set of autocross pads for them.
Old 08-05-06, 03:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

A good friend of mine, Andi Baritchi, placed 4th in the 2003 One Lap and 6th in the 2004 One Lap in his Supra. In 2003 he had to replace the drilled discs about 1/3 of the way through the event because they were so heavily cracked he could not run. The discs had almost completely separated from the hats. His comment was, all drilled rotors are crap. He now runs cryo'd stock rotors. They last, and deliver consistent stopping power even at the track, and the hats never separate.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-06-06 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-06-06, 11:55 AM
HaveBlue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IS350 brakes are from the GS aren't they? If anyone wants the bling they could look for GS drilled ones. For performance you are better getting a non outgassing pad like a Carbon Metallic one from Performance friction. Really I think the brakes are excellent. Why mess with them?
Old 08-06-06, 01:02 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rotors that have been actually drilled dont last long. The also have less mass so in constant heavy braking they will actually heat up faster. Blanks are the way to go if you aren't going to be upgrading anything else.

Most of the drilled rotors you see on high dollar cars have the holes cast into them. Meaning they aren't drilled and you aren't splitting the molecules which leads to cracks on drilled rotors. They are also MUCH thicker and larger giving them a mechanical advantage so they wont heat up as fast as rotors that are smaller, all other things being equal.

Rotor failures on a race track are pretty nasty. While its not likely on a street car, dont fool yourself into thinking you made your brakes better by changing to drilled or slotted. You want MASS in your rotor to pull heat out of the pads. You loose more ability to pull heat out of the pads then you gain ability to dissapate this heat with drilled rotors.

But of course, bling is king for most "car guys". People that have been around real racing know better, well, at least most of them.
Old 08-06-06, 02:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

I'm thinking I'd like to take the calipers off and CNC Lexus or ADVICS into them just deep enough to be clearly visible. That's about the extent of my desire for bling on my brakes. Of course if I were going to the track, I'd be mounting ducting to blow into the center of the hat, but that's performance on track, not street bling, and probably would make driving over driveways and such a PITA.

Here's an interesting site with information about ADVICS (related to both Aisin and Sumitomo) and the stability controls on our cars.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-06-06 at 03:11 PM.