Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS350 Sport Pkg Suspension Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 04:41 PM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont know what it is but called lexus corp to report this to see what they can. if they really want to impress me, they will switch me out for a new '07. or pay me some discount for a 'defect'

the rattle is ONLy only sport pkg. i test drove the dealers regular IS350 without the sport pkg and no noise.

so the strut bar rattle does seem to be the cause as the sport pkg diff is in the springs and shocks. plus the suspension is 1" lower than non sport pkg.

the new michelin they threw in seems to have better grip than the original dunlop sport max. more agressive tread pattern though not sure how long these will last.
Old 08-05-06, 05:02 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tx_is300
dont know what it is but called lexus corp to report this to see what they can. if they really want to impress me, they will switch me out for a new '07. or pay me some discount for a 'defect'
Good luck - I seriously doubt they will put you in a brand new '07 for such a minor issue. If your heads were warped or your tranny blew, you would have a much stronger case. You might be better served asking for a free extended warranty - I'm sure that's something they can do to compensate you for your troubles . . .
Old 08-05-06, 09:12 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I beg to differ! I have the same noise, and I have a Luxury package car. I really don't think the noise your talking about is only isolated to Sport Package vehicles.

Plus, GOOD LUCK on getting Toyota to buy the car back on this "noise". If it went our way all the time, everyone would have new cars every couple of months cause the most common "noise" to happen is usually the sunroof.
Old 08-06-06, 10:25 AM
tx_is300
Pole Position

socalJD - this is my second IS model and when i had the first IS300; they always fixed everything i pointed out and i can be very AR bout this. they replaced the metal scuff plate when it was not quite flush.

now on the 2nd car, IS350, they replaced all 4 tires cuz i mentioned that the alignment was pulling.

the lexus corp office sounded very nice and willing to work with me on resolving the prob. they will contact dealer and see what else can be done.

pocky - there is a slight diff between sunroof noise and a metallic rattle. my noise sounds like metal to metal noise. i have not tried this on lux pkg as both the sport pkg and lux pkg is rare here in houston. if you are having sunroof noise i encourage you to be persistent and get the dealer to fix the prob or offer you compensation in services or cash.
Old 08-06-06, 10:47 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pocky - there is a slight diff between sunroof noise and a metallic rattle. my noise sounds like metal to metal noise. i have not tried this on lux pkg as both the sport pkg and lux pkg is rare here in houston. if you are having sunroof noise i encourage you to be persistent and get the dealer to fix the prob or offer you compensation in services or cash.
I was using the sunroof noise as an example.

My noise is metal on metal. But then again, as I posted in my thread a while back, t sounds more like I'm killing a baby bird. Mine definately sounds like something is "loose"
Old 08-06-06, 12:34 PM
JohnnySpag
Driver School Candidate

Guys, read my earlier reply. I had the same problem, and Lexus said it was the rear parking brake assembly, so they needed to adjust it. So far, it seems to be fine. have the dealer check that out and see if it works.
Old 08-06-06, 03:12 PM
Frisco
Driver

I've got the same rattle in mine(Lux 350). It sounds to me like it's the brake pads. I've had the same noise in some GM models.
Old 09-25-07, 11:14 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

for those of you that have IS350 with sport pkg, does anyone notice a rattling noise when ever you drive over the little lane change markers on the road? i was driving with my windows down and radio low and could hear what sounded like a suspension rattle. took the lexus tech for a drive and he heard it too but now they say it may be due to the stiffer spring and suspension and could find nothing wrong. i then test drove the regular IS350 w/o sport pkg and did not notice any rattle.
Any one notice this same rattle?
So I am experiencing the same EXACT issue coming from what sounds like the drivers side.. When I cross lanes with the passenger tires no noise... When I cross lanes with the drivers side and hit the little lane change marker bumps I get the metal on metal rattling noise on local street driving.. Also, if I hit some small pavement bumps on street driving I get the same noise..

No noise while hitting the bumps while freeway lane changing over 60+ mph...
But then again those bumps are spaced far apart..

On the local street driving bumps, those are mostly a few inches apart and the noise is evident from low speeds up to 40-45 mph..

2008 IS350 Sport Suspension with 300 or so miles..

Keep in mind gang I just started really driving the car this week

I hope its just a real simple fix..

I read the posts in here and I looking for more input and advise from more members or Lexus Techs

Thank You
Joe Z
Old 09-26-07, 01:05 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Wow over 12 hours and no responses.....
Old 09-26-07, 02:56 AM
kikaida
Lead Lap

I had the same problem. I also though it was coming from the drivers side, but it was actually coming from the rear. Brought it in to the dealer and yep it was the parking brake out of adjustment.
Old 09-26-07, 06:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont have any noises here
Old 09-26-07, 07:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kikaida
I had the same problem. I also though it was coming from the drivers side, but it was actually coming from the rear. Brought it in to the dealer and yep it was the parking brake out of adjustment.
I was heavily researching last night on here and found this thread:

Clicking noise when going over bumps

I followed the suggestion in post #14 and to my SURPRISE when I went over the lange change bumps in my neighborhood early this morning, the noise was virtually 99.44% gone..

So, in my opinion I can safely say its NOT the Sport Suspension Shocks or Springs...

The Parking Brake system needs adjusting from the factory..
or
Because it was never used yet, it has some slack..

I guess by depressing the parking brake pedal overnight, it puts the system in Full Tension.. when its released, what ever had slack is now more secured...

It this issue self resolves, then thats one less un-necessary trip to the dealership.

Funny, if part of the PDI or PDS is to Initialize the Parking Brake System..

Joe Z
Old 09-26-07, 08:13 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I was heavily researching last night on here and found this thread:

Clicking noise when going over bumps

I followed the suggestion in post #14 and to my SURPRISE when I went over the lange change bumps in my neighborhood early this morning, the noise was virtually 99.44% gone..

So, in my opinion I can safely say its NOT the Sport Suspension Shocks or Springs...

The Parking Brake system needs adjusting from the factory..
or
Because it was never used yet, it has some slack..

I guess by depressing the parking brake pedal overnight, it puts the system in Full Tension.. when its released, what ever had slack is now more secured...

It this issue self resolves, then thats one less un-necessary trip to the dealership.

Funny, if part of the PDI or PDS is to Initialize the Parking Brake System..

Joe Z
Hah...nice find!
Old 09-26-07, 10:05 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

for those of you that have IS350 with sport pkg, does anyone notice a rattling noise when ever you drive over the little lane change markers on the road? i was driving with my windows down and radio low and could hear what sounded like a suspension rattle. took the lexus tech for a drive and he heard it too but now they say it may be due to the stiffer spring and suspension and could find nothing wrong. i then test drove the regular IS350 w/o sport pkg and did not notice any rattle. am now tempted to call lexus corporate to complain and possibly use the lemon law to get them to replace the car or buy it back. any one notice this same rattle?
No rattles on mine. They need to fix it. Maybe you have a lose exhaust plate or something.
Old 09-26-07, 10:38 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
No rattles on mine. They need to fix it. Maybe you have a lose exhaust plate or something.
^^ I don't think you read the whole thread...

I bumped this thread from August 2006, because I m reporting the same exact scenario on my 2008 IS350

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-26-07 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: IS350 Sport Pkg Suspension Rattle