Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS350 Sport Pkg Suspension Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 08:15 AM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS350 Sport Pkg Suspension Rattle

for those of you that have IS350 with sport pkg, does anyone notice a rattling noise when ever you drive over the little lane change markers on the road? i was driving with my windows down and radio low and could hear what sounded like a suspension rattle. took the lexus tech for a drive and he heard it too but now they say it may be due to the stiffer spring and suspension and could find nothing wrong. i then test drove the regular IS350 w/o sport pkg and did not notice any rattle. am now tempted to call lexus corporate to complain and possibly use the lemon law to get them to replace the car or buy it back. any one notice this same rattle?
Old 08-04-06, 08:19 AM
IS-Jim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have sport package but when I first got mine I notice a rattle like that. It was from the passengerside exhuast. One of the hangers was loose and it was make a noise over bumbs.

I know you said suspension but it might be worth a try to see if either exhaust can be wiggled comming out the back...
Old 08-04-06, 09:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

going to be a monster pain to locate whats even causing that rattle
Old 08-04-06, 09:08 AM
ocdavid
Rookie

I would have to say it's probably a problem with your car. I have an 06 IS350 w/ Sport package and have driven 2 others with the same setup and have not heard a peep out of the suspension. I'm sure it's nothing big, but I would take it to a dealer when you get a chance. It could be some road debris that got caught in the suspension or it could be a loose part. The IS suspension should be tight and silent, not rattling....
Old 08-04-06, 10:14 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

How old and how many miles on your IS ? Maybe it's not 'broken in' yet.
You sure you don't have anything rattling in the glove box ???
I don't notice any rattles in my IS, but then again I usually have the ML cranked up while cruising on the hwy . . .
Old 08-04-06, 10:14 AM
jezza
Driver

My 350 w/sport pkg has plenty of interior rattles, but nothing coming from the suspension. Like others have mentioned though, it's going to be tough to track down.
Old 08-04-06, 10:27 AM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jezza
My 350 w/sport pkg has plenty of interior rattles, but nothing coming from the suspension. Like others have mentioned though, it's going to be tough to track down.
Don't mean to take this subject off base, but how many rattles do you have? I am noticing a vibration type rattle ocassionaly on the left side of the dash (drivers side) where the windshield comes down. Might also be coming from the AC vent there.
Old 08-04-06, 12:55 PM
tx_is300
Pole Position

just picked up car from dealer. they claim they called another sister lexus dealer and asked bout this and apparently other sport pkgs reported the same rattle. thus the service guy says wait for a technical service bulletin with a fix. i am in houston and i dont think there are very many other IS350 w/sport pkg. even the luxury pkg is rare. i had to order mine back in dec and it got it in mar '06.

on a side note - i told them that the alignment was pulling after 5000 miles. they adjusted the camber and slapped on 4 new michelin pilot sport tires!! maybe this was a diversion from the suspension rattle.

i plan to call corporate to see if they are aware of this problem and what can they do.
Old 08-04-06, 07:02 PM
JohnnySpag
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar issue with my car. With the window down and radio off, I heard a noise coming from the suspension. Brought it to the dealer and the first visit they couldn't duplicate the noise. I went for a road test with them, they then heard it. Brought it back a second time and they said that the noise was caused by the parking brake, so they had to adjust the parking brake assembly and that seemed to work.
Old 08-04-06, 07:12 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

You know what, I used to be like that too, I used to try to investigate
every little noise or rattle i used to hear, but now i realize unless
you really think it's something seriously wrong, don;t even waste
your time, its not worth the stress..
Old 08-04-06, 08:05 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It's your exhaust Pipes. Check the Black Strut bar on the bottom of the engine. Im sure the pipes are hitting that bar. Just have them add some washer to the bolts, to give your exhaust pipes more room to move.
Old 08-04-06, 09:02 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine makes this noise. I posted about this in the past. I still have yet to take the car to the dealer.

My car is Luxury Package. Not sport. I doubt it's the exhaust, checked that when I was changing it out to the Tanabes.

Oh well, It's rather annoying. Driving down the road, car next to you has their windows down and all they hear is this brand new IS making squeaky noises.
Old 08-05-06, 04:13 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by david_s
Don't mean to take this subject off base, but how many rattles do you have? I am noticing a vibration type rattle ocassionaly on the left side of the dash (drivers side) where the windshield comes down. Might also be coming from the AC vent there.
I've got all kinds of annoying rattles... drivers side door panel, sunroof, passenger side door panel/dash. All these locations are approximate... it's very difficult to track noises like this down. The bottom line is, it's very annoying in a $40k car, nevermind a Lexus.
Old 08-05-06, 10:43 AM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tony1
You know what, I used to be like that too, I used to try to investigate
every little noise or rattle i used to hear, but now i realize unless
you really think it's something seriously wrong, don;t even waste
your time, its not worth the stress..
I hear ya. However since this is the nicest car I've owned and after hearing about Lexus quality maybe I expected more. My wife's accord has less vibrations and pops coming from the dash. Come to thing of it, unless I drive that car over a rough patch the cabin is quite. Of course Lexus has it beat regarding road noise. Love that about my IS.
Old 08-05-06, 12:20 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my Car stiing on 19's / Lowered (Eibach) / LMS exhaust.

And it has about the same noise level as stock, MINUS the exaust note when i punch the gas.

As far as that rattle, it was in the MID section of my car. Almost where you are sitting. If you look under that section of that car you will see the strut bar I am talking about.

Quick Reply: IS350 Sport Pkg Suspension Rattle