Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Stock vs Sports Suspension
Stock Suspension
40.98%
Sports Suspension
59.02%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Stock Suspension VS Sports Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07, 10:57 PM
neova
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ISbb > For your information, the dealers here also sells Eibach springs as a dealer add-on option, i guess you can considered that qualifies as "being as OEM as possible"?

The handling of the sports suspension will be firmer than the standard, but it won't lower the car that much, and I guess if looks are important to you as well, you might be dissappointed with this choice.

Originally Posted by gyung
Thanks, but i'm not very familiar with this stuff, and I don't want to spend too much money. So is it pointless to buy Eibach springs? I did a quick search on ebay and don't know how much, or if anyone will buy my 07 X-pack springs and whatnot and how much. Thanks again!
X-package/sports package Sport Suspension:
-10mm lower front only
-5% stiffer shocks f/r

Eibach prot kit
- 1.4" lower front and rear, stiffer spring rates than sports suspension

So if you already have the sports suspension, getting ebachs will lower your car a further 0.9" for a total of 1.4" drop, and you already have a stiffer shock from the sports suspension to compliment the stiffer eibach springs.

Last edited by neova; 02-10-07 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 03:40 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

The FSM says the ride height is 10mm (0.396") lower and only on the front. The rear ride height is spec'd exactly the same for sport and standard as long as you have the same diameter wheels. Actually the spec for the 16 and 17 inch wheels is lower than the 18" wheels by 8mm and 6mm respectively.
would you pls give me the rear ride height for the 17" wheels? need it
didn't find it on the website.
Old 08-08-07, 01:42 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI- the reason I think the sport package is worth it-

It costs hundreds of dollars -less- than the luxury package with 18" wheels, but it gives you all the same options except the woodgrain (which I don't want) and the power rear sunshade (which also seems useless).

So Lexus is paying you $500 to give up the wood and sunshade, but gain the better springs/shocks. No brainer to me.
Old 08-08-07, 01:48 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
So Lexus is paying you $500 to give up the wood and sunshade, but gain the better springs/shocks. No brainer to me.
I agree with you up to the point where you say the springs/shocks are better. They are just different.
Old 08-08-07, 02:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, you can always likely find someone with stock springs/shocks willing to swap if you decide you'd rather have stock, and in the meantime you still get all the "good" parts of the lux package for $500 less
Old 08-08-07, 03:26 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Well, you can always likely find someone with stock springs/shocks willing to swap if you decide you'd rather have stock, and in the meantime you still get all the "good" parts of the lux package for $500 less
I'm still not really disagreeing, but I don't think the $500 is worth the effort if you don't really want the sport springs and shocks. In reality, you could probably negotiate a better deal on the lux package since the sport package is so rare.
Old 10-08-07, 10:04 PM
maxnix
Driver

Exclamation Show Or Go?

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
For mechanical performance or visual performance?
Aye, that is the crux of the question.

Static looks or dynamic performance?
Old 10-14-07, 11:24 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Having driven several IS350/250 with lowered springs, I'm glad I'm ordering my IS with the Sport package. The only other coilovers I would use would be the HKS Kansai service coilovers. They are lighter (aluminum body) and are rebuildable. The valving is suited to match the spring rate and just like the HKS hipermax coilovers on other cars, they will probably not jarr your teeth loose.

Since the ISx50 RWD doesn't have adjustable camber, I'd leave the suspension at stock height of a sport suspension model.
Old 11-16-07, 09:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the rear is lowered as well I believe I notice a difference b/t my car and non sport packed IS
Old 11-16-07, 09:21 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the rear is lowered as well I believe I notice a difference b/t my car and non sport packed IS
Are you comparing cars that are similar in all ways other than the suspension (OEM wheels / tires, similar amounts of cargo and fuel, etc.)? It doesn't take much to compress the back springs by 0.5". A subwoofer inclosure would easily do it.
Old 12-02-07, 12:45 AM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Now that we have 08 IS350 twins, one with the sport package, the other with the luxury package, I can make a back to back comparison. BTW, the luxury has 18" summer tires, the exact same that are on the sport.

My findings...

The sport is a bit stiffer over bumps, has some less body roll in turns, provides for more road feedback, and has a slightly different steering feel (a bit tighter). The wheel vs fender gap has the sport about 2/3rd an inch lower than the luxury.

On the other hand, the luxury handles great, provides enough feedback, is also precise in steering, holds the line, and has body roll that is still far less than most other cars.

I'd say that if the sport is 100 in terms of overall handling, the luxury is 90.
Old 12-02-07, 07:03 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
Now that we have 08 IS350 twins, one with the sport package, the other with the luxury package, I can make a back to back comparison. BTW, the luxury has 18" summer tires, the exact same that are on the sport.

My findings...

The sport is a bit stiffer over bumps, has some less body roll in turns, provides for more road feedback, and has a slightly different steering feel (a bit tighter). The wheel vs fender gap has the sport about 2/3rd an inch lower than the luxury.

On the other hand, the luxury handles great, provides enough feedback, is also precise in steering, holds the line, and has body roll that is still far less than most other cars.

I'd say that if the sport is 100 in terms of overall handling, the luxury is 90.
Thanks for the report. I'm in the process of beginning a "special order" IS 350 and opted for Luxury Pkg. I prefer comfort with some sportiness on demand. Maybe ten years ago it would have been the other way around. It would be great to see a profile or angled-front photo of the two setups side by side to see how noticeable the suspension differences are.

Does the wheel gap in the luxury setup detract at all from the great looks of the car?

Unfortunately my local dealer has no 350s presently on site so I can't do my own live comaprison.
Old 12-02-07, 09:23 AM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Thanks for the report. I'm in the process of beginning a "special order" IS 350 and opted for Luxury Pkg. I prefer comfort with some sportiness on demand. Maybe ten years ago it would have been the other way around. It would be great to see a profile or angled-front photo of the two setups side by side to see how noticeable the suspension differences are.

Does the wheel gap in the luxury setup detract at all from the great looks of the car?

Unfortunately my local dealer has no 350s presently on site so I can't do my own live comaprison.
During normal driving, even spirited driving, the difference is only marginally noticable. Either luxury or sport, you can't go wrong.

As for the wheel gap, I just looked (again) at both cars sitting in the garage. Again, only marginally noticable. At a glance, one can't really tell the difference.

Using a 100 point scale, up to 85, the sport and luxury compare equally, the ramaining 15 points plays out like this...> luxury is a slightly softer ride with a slighly looser steering ratio but still precise... sport is marginally firmer, slighly less body roll in hard turns, slightly tighter steering ratio.
Old 02-12-08, 06:28 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

When I was looking at cars, I drove a few Lux package cars...I didnt like the wood, just my personal preference. The non Sport package cars drove fine...I looked at the Sport package car with my wife expecting NOT to like it....it was clean, and we liked the interior without the wood alot better visually. Then we drove it....and I LOVED it...responsive, but not harsh at all. My wife who HATES rough riding cars preferred it. She said the car just felt smoother. I liked the responsive steering. I plan on adding lower springs and the Sport shocks may actually work out better than the Lux shocks.