Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Vibrates like H**l

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-01, 12:53 AM
quocman555
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a TRD lower chassis brace and the vibrations are still there but a whole lot less noticeable. My friend who had that problem on his LS got new tires and an alignment and the prob went away.
Old 11-18-01, 10:12 AM
oldguy
Driver

Unhappy vibrates like h**l

Had a '98 gs400. vibration problem since the start. Lexus put in the revised rack/pinion and then the vibration was not fixed and the straight ahead road feel was terrible. They finally eliminated the vibration with a very careful balance. Which needed to be done every 3000 miles. On a $50k car. That was no longer fun to steer. Straight ahead required constant correction and the effort was higher and tiring to hands and wrists. No longer a fun long drive car. Service manager says all 98-00 gs400 have this. Only the 98 has the old rack/pinion that was a pleasure to drive. And many of those have been "upgraded".

Last edited by oldguy; 11-18-01 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-10-02, 08:47 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Just want to add vibration problem here too from the front and feeling it in the steering. It seems like the car has to warm up first to get the vibration out.

I am just looking for that solution to just get rid of this headache. Such a beautiful car and it can't have a nice tight steering without going aftermarket. I only wish I know how to install that L-Tuned ECU Steering component.

The Lexus Dealers around here, really don't know anything about L-Tuning upgrades. There is not a market for them out here yet as they cater to the older people that have no need for this enhancement.
Old 01-10-02, 11:48 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lexguynj,

Look at this site:

http://www.super-lexus.com/howto/ltuneecu.html

The ECU install is actually pretty straight-forward.
Old 01-11-02, 04:54 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
lexguynj,

Look at this site:

http://www.super-lexus.com/howto/ltuneecu.html

The ECU install is actually pretty straight-forward.
NEO - Thanks for the info, do you think the Steering ECU install alone will really help? I'll try anything at this point.

Thanks again.
Old 01-11-02, 10:46 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RealMarty
If your car is under warranty I'd start with the service manager at the dealer and if he agrees with the idiot that said this is normal I'd move on to another dealer (after voicing a complaint to the Lexus customer service hot line).

Yea, this doesn't work....After my dealership and managers where an *** to me after they ****ed up rear body kit up from abuse an put 65miles on my car... I called up Lexus and they said..."so?" "what do you want from us? They will fix it, what else do you want?"

and my GS vibrates like HELL at 55 mph and I've gotten 2 allinments and 5!! rebalances on the hunter and others...all the same....rims are perfect, so are tires....and you think the dealer is going to care with a GS on 20's???!! You got to be joking! If I told them this was a problem they would laugh in my face! I just figure it's part of owning 20's...just like how I have to go extremly slow over every bump becuase it's lowered....part of being custom...
Old 01-11-02, 12:30 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lexguynj,

I could be wrong but I don't think the ECU will help your vibration problems. The change, for steering purposes, is pretty subtle. I noticed it right away but it was not night and day. I still have it in there since I thought that it was a better feel and it was worth it. Some people did not feel a difference and did not think it was worth the money.

Get it if you like a bit better drivability and you don't mind spending the money. You will have a better GS but the vibration will probably not go away. Still, who knows?
Old 01-11-02, 03:43 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
lexguynj,

I could be wrong but I don't think the ECU will help your vibration problems. The change, for steering purposes, is pretty subtle. I noticed it right away but it was not night and day. I still have it in there since I thought that it was a better feel and it was worth it. Some people did not feel a difference and did not think it was worth the money.

Get it if you like a bit better drivability and you don't mind spending the money. You will have a better GS but the vibration will probably not go away. Still, who knows?
I have to agree with Neo. After I install the steering ecu I felt more road feel. ie..if your car vibrate now you will feel it more after ecu installation.

Try the TRD strut tower brace.

Mark
Old 01-11-02, 09:45 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Mark

I have to agree with Neo. After I install the steering ecu I felt more road feel. ie..if your car vibrate now you will feel it more after ecu installation.

Try the TRD strut tower brace.

Mark
Thanks for the info, there is conflicting info from no difference to significant difference all over this board, in regards to the L-Tuned Steering ECU, maybe you have a better chance if you do the install of the ECU with the Shocks and Springs. Maybe the combination of all 3 can resolve this problem? Any comments?

Do you really need the L-Tuned Springs if you get the L-Tuned Shocks? Do they really go hand in hand with each other? Remember I am only dealing with the Factory 17's here.
Old 01-14-02, 04:25 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What have you guys done with a slightly damaged rim?

I'm sure the rim can be fixed if the damage is not severe. It also shows up so much more when the wheel is chromed.

Anyone here from the NJ area that knows of a place that does this kinda of work (rim repair)?

I would prefer to drive to the place rather than shipping rim to so shop that's not local to me even if it costs me a few more bucks.

I feel like Neil Armstrong...I must have been driving on the moon....the pothole was like a 3 feet wide crater....darn

Thanks!
Old 02-13-02, 04:59 AM
HaydenGS
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally posted by bitkahuna
SpiceIsleDoc...

Your problems will be a combination of one or more of the following:

1) Tire pressure
2) Uneven tire wear
3) Defective tires (belts moved/uneven, etc.)
4) Damaged rims
5) Suspension alignment

I'd try 1, 5, and 2 first. If that doesn't work, have 4 checked. If that doesn't work, replace your front tires, or try rotating back/fronts first to see if that helps.

I have the same problem with my 99 GS3. My Dealer has tried to fix it twice, but no luck. Actually, my car stops vibrating for about 2 weeks after realignment but the problem keeps on coming back to haunt me!

The weirdest thing is my steering wheel only vibrates violently from 95 km/hr to 110 km/ hr. (59 miles/hr - 68.3 miles/hr). After 120, my car goes as smooth as an airplane.

My car also shakes violently when i brake from 120km down to 90km ... it's probably my brake rotors ... however, my dealer said they found NO PROBLEM with my rotors !!!! It feels like I am going to lose control when i brake during that speed !!!

They checked the Tire Pressure... perfectly equal.
No Uneven Tire Wear..
No Defective Tire and Rims
and they also charged me $80 CDN for doing the realignment
They rotated my tires for the 18000 km service

but nothing seems to help!

The dealer told me that many of the GS has the same problem during 100km/hr... and they are also scratching their head for this issue
=((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

By the way, at what Tire Pressure should i set my 4 tires for the greatest comfort (lowest noise)
Old 02-13-02, 11:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally posted by HaydenGS
By the way, at what Tire Pressure should i set my 4 tires for the greatest comfort (lowest noise)
0 - you won't be going anywhere
Old 02-14-02, 05:12 AM
Murph
Pole Position

I also had a vibration problem that was tough to find on my 99GS400. My dealer finally tightened the pre-tension on my steering and the problem went away. I still have the typical tire flat spot vibrations at first drive in the AM but other than that the problem is solved. The steering feels much heavier/solid now. The only drawback is that the return to center at low speeds after a turn is slower. That's OK by me as it was worth it. It takes about 45 minutes at the dealer.

I hope this helps as I've not sen this solution to this common problem discussed anywhere on this forum.

Murph
Old 05-12-02, 02:46 PM
wswenkman
Driver School Candidate

I just modified my 98 GS400, I also put new strusse SST wheels as mentioned from someone esle with this problem. I mounted 2 sets of new Bridgestone polepositions on. 8.5 ,18, 245-40 front, 9.5,18,275-35 rear.
I also have a steering wheel vibration at 60mph plus.
I had the vibration only after the new wheels and tires.
Since then New Brembro brakes, and a Tein suspention package have gone on, so it's not do to those. I have also had a full allignment done.
I did here of a centering ring, so I will inquire about those. My wheel mounter says the Wheels are not bent but I am going to check that further.
I also see on another forum that some says the wheels could be slipping on the rim, but I doubt that but will check it.
I hope this is not a serious problem, I was told by someone at Rod Millen that they have herd of this problem but with no solutions.
I am going to check on tsb and rack and pinion updates but the car never vibrated before the wheels. I am sure the steering system is more sensitive the the wide, low tires though.
Have you found anything else out.
I will let you know what I find.
Thanks, Bill
Old 05-12-02, 04:05 PM
TIKTIK11
Driver

Default Murph

Just wanted to know if the dealers will tighten the steering or through a lot of hassle

Quick Reply: Vibrates like H**l