Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan Racing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 05:05 PM
bunta
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

made in taiwannn!
Old 09-28-06, 09:29 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i go with Tein SS, don't i need the pillow ball or whatever its called?
Old 10-03-06, 05:06 PM
smelly240
Driver School Candidate

i know im new to this forum - but these arent hte same as the N1's - they're the same as the ExV's - slightly different valving (had em on my old 240 for almost a yr)
Old 10-30-06, 10:26 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by smelly240
i know im new to this forum - but these arent hte same as the N1's - they're the same as the ExV's - slightly different valving (had em on my old 240 for almost a yr)
So what was your opinion of these ExV (aka Megan) coilovers?
Old 10-31-06, 04:31 AM
skeet94
Driver

So are these Megan Coilovers supposedly "Junk"? As has been stated by dejacky? Just curious as I was leaning towards these for my Aristo .
Old 10-31-06, 04:38 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by skeet94
So are these Megan Coilovers supposedly "Junk"? As has been stated by dejacky? Just curious as I was leaning towards these for my Aristo .
well in defense of all the happy megan coilover users, I was told the internal valving is junk. So, I'm not speaking from first hand experience. I'm actually hoping someone can give us some real world feedback...and if they're proven to be good coilovers, you can bet I will be buying some . One thing that makes me skeptical about the Megans being total junk is that Jeremy Blackwell (from Speedforsale) speaks highly of these coilovers and says 10+ customers of his that had them installed love them and no problems yet!
Old 10-31-06, 05:03 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

CL member "PJ" currently has this setup on his SC. You can PM him for feedback. dejacky called them junk because someone else said so. I know a couple people with Tein coilovers that malfunctioned are they junk? NO it's just the way it is with mass manufacturing they all don't come out perfect.
Old 10-31-06, 10:36 AM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
CL member "PJ" currently has this setup on his SC. You can PM him for feedback. dejacky called them junk because someone else said so. I know a couple people with Tein coilovers that malfunctioned are they junk? NO it's just the way it is with mass manufacturing they all don't come out perfect.
Tein is junk.

Anyway, when u buy coilovers u get what u pay for. Megans are junk compared to some of the HKS, High end zeal, and wutever is expensive. If i were to get coilovers id deff go w/ HKS, I hear they are really soft, their spring rates are 12kg/mm and 8kg/mm which is considerably mild, if you wanted to get really good valving and a harder spring rate get the HKS and get some custom Swift springs. And also anything german is good too, but not too many applications for the sc/supra.
Old 10-31-06, 04:35 PM
trangk
Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
One thing that makes me skeptical about the Megans being total junk is that Jeremy Blackwell (from Speedforsale) speaks highly of these coilovers and says 10+ customers of his that had them installed love them and no problems yet!
I'm just curious but why would that make you skeptical? I figured the opposite would be true?
Old 10-31-06, 08:29 PM
millions
Rookie

I still find them to be quite nice. For a street setup they are very comfortable and the reduction of body roll is very noticeable. Internal valving will not have an affect except when its pushed to the limit... However I no track time in the SC yet... next spring or summer.

And just a reminder... I bought these for ride height adujstability, comfort and price. Why pay $500 for stiff lowering springs that may or may not fit your rim and tire choice when these are barely double the price? They also weigh a lot less than the old strut combo. Track performance will be a bonus, and as I've said before the 240 and mr2 community states they have had good success with them track wise so I am optimistic.

For the record, if I had the money I'd of bought JIC-FLA2s, but I've got other projects.

Last edited by millions; 10-31-06 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 09:45 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by millions
I still find them to be quite nice. For a street setup they are very comfortable and the reduction of body roll is very noticeable. Internal valving will not have an affect except when its pushed to the limit... However I no track time in the SC yet... next spring or summer.

And just a reminder... I bought these for ride height adujstability, comfort and price. Why pay $500 for stiff lowering springs that may or may not fit your rim and tire choice when these are barely double the price? They also weigh a lot less than the old strut combo. Track performance will be a bonus, and as I've said before the 240 and mr2 community states they have had good success with them track wise so I am optimistic.

For the record, if I had the money I'd of bought JIC-FLA2s, but I've got other projects.
can you please provide a link to the 240sx community that is raving about how good these coilovers are?
Old 10-31-06, 09:56 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

freshalloy.com. go under forums and search. guaranteed that you will find plenty of good comments. if megans were to be offered for the es300, i probably would have bought those.
and what are Swift springs? is this a company that makes custom springs? because right now i am currently looking for a new pair of rear springs for my ksports. length ~130mm, inner diameter~62, outter ~ 83mm. with springrate of 5kg.
Charley
Old 10-31-06, 10:12 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by charley240
freshalloy.com. go under forums and search. guaranteed that you will find plenty of good comments. if megans were to be offered for the es300, i probably would have bought those.
and what are Swift springs? is this a company that makes custom springs? because right now i am currently looking for a new pair of rear springs for my ksports. length ~130mm, inner diameter~62, outter ~ 83mm. with springrate of 5kg.
Charley

please 240's? Dude, those cars dont grip, that's y they drift. Cars that cant grip, drift.

www.swiftsprings.com is wut u wanna check out.
Old 10-31-06, 10:19 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sly Guy Yu
please 240's? Dude, those cars dont grip, that's y they drift. Cars that cant grip, drift.

www.swiftsprings.com is wut u wanna check out.
To be fair, RX-7 owners like them too

And to be fair again, that wasn't a fair assessment that you made and had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the discussion at hand. You discredited the idea that 240 owners enjoy the Megan coilovers because they are "drift cars".

Does what some owners enjoy more than others have anything to do with how well a product is built? Hell no.

Get over yourself dude. Seriously. We can tell you don't like Megan; yet you've given no concrete evidence and only attempt to discredit others that are attempting to.
Old 10-31-06, 10:45 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, what mr. bean just said.
ok, i wasnt implying that because 240's enjoy it, so everyone else will. a couple of post up, there was someone saying something to the extent of weak internals. thats why i posted up freshalloy.com, because a lot of those people drift and bought megans.
Charley

Quick Reply: Megan Racing Coilovers