Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan Racing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 11:33 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by charley240
yeah, what mr. bean just said.
ok, i wasnt implying that because 240's enjoy it, so everyone else will. a couple of post up, there was someone saying something to the extent of weak internals. thats why i posted up freshalloy.com, because a lot of those people drift and bought megans.
Charley
Sorry my post wasnt intended for only you, though i accidentally made it seem that way. but wut i was trying to say is that 240's and sc's are in 2 way different classes. Megan's build quality is cheap, that's why they sell it for so cheap. These cheap internals will last longer on a lighter car, and with a heavy luxury coupe like the sc, these internals will fail much quicker. For a large heavy car like the sc, quality coilovers is a must for longevity/ride quality/performance.

So, my opinion is do not settle for crappy coilovers if you plan on keeping them for awhile. The r&d in the cheap/low quality coilovers is just a joke. They make the same shock, and just put a different spring rate on each application.
Old 11-01-06, 11:05 PM
hopkinskid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got them on my SC400...I've only had them on for about one month, so I can't give you any new info. So far so good. Reliable so far, but who knows what they'll be like 2 years from now? But they do come with a 1-year warranty, and they have their shop in SoCal. The ride is ok....setting 1...very harsh, makes my teeth chatter, but I've gone through turns at speeds I would have never considered before. Setting 32....floaty, bouncy, but similar to stock. Right now, I have them set at the mid-range, which is fine for me. Will it be fine for you? Maybe, maybe not, but there's 32 different dampening settings that you can try out. My car might be a bit too low right now (rubbing in the rear), but it's a quick adjustment.

There's some other owners on this forum that are satisfied....for now, I'm satisfied as well. I'm not going to bore you with all the details that have been repeated on other threads.

They won't compare to some of the higher end coilover kits (Tein Flex, CS, etc), but for the price (I got them for $900, which included shipping). Someone mentioned HKS as well. Look, if I wanted to spend $1500, I would have bought something else. If I had $1200, I would have gone with the Tein CS. But for $900, you're left with these and the Tein basics or supersports, plus the KSports and D2s. I compared the features on the Megans, read every single thread on the Teins, and went through other forums as well. In the end, I decided to plop down $900. I needed new struts and springs, and mounts as well.....and instead of spending $250 for struts, $250 for possibly Eibachs or Tanabes, and $200 for mounts, I decided to spend a bit more to get more features and options.

I've also read alot of positive feedbacks on the Acura TL, Subaru WRX, and Acura RSX forums.

Some threads:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2&page=1&pp=25

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=404494
Old 11-01-06, 11:14 PM
hopkinskid
Driver School Candidate

Also, pics of what my SC400 looked like before, and what it looks like now with Megans:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=242394
Old 11-06-06, 06:21 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the right up seems to be personal experience from him installing them not hearsay. Ofcourse the valving and som ethings are going to be cheaper. Probably not as easily rebuildable over more expensive coilovers. We are talkin price and performance here. For the money im going to try them out, if he says they ride good they must be decent. When you install crappy coilovers you notice right off the bat they are going to be bouncy....
Old 11-06-06, 06:35 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by twizted
Well the right up seems to be personal experience from him installing them not hearsay. Ofcourse the valving and som ethings are going to be cheaper. Probably not as easily rebuildable over more expensive coilovers. We are talkin price and performance here. For the money im going to try them out, if he says they ride good they must be decent. When you install crappy coilovers you notice right off the bat they are going to be bouncy....
I was reading many megan racing coilovers reviews and the trick to removing the "over bounciness" is putting a little more tension (aka preloading the spring more) via that lower adjusting nut below the spring. After doing this, megan racing coilovers have reported no-more bounciness...so, it seems more like a setting than a property of the coilovers themselves. Have you tried this to remove the bounciness on the softest setting via more spring preload?
Old 11-06-06, 06:51 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
I was reading many megan racing coilovers reviews and the trick to removing the "over bounciness" is putting a little more tension (aka preloading the spring more) via that lower adjusting nut below the spring. After doing this, megan racing coilovers have reported no-more bounciness...so, it seems more like a setting than a property of the coilovers themselves. Have you tried this to remove the bounciness on the softest setting via more spring preload?
Im saying there was no bouncyness reported from him at all which would be a clear indication if they WERE cheap coilovers...
Old 04-10-07, 09:46 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

hey whut settings are you guys running on these coilovers? something for agressive street?

IM REALLY LOVIN THE COILOVERS
Old 04-12-07, 11:39 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

I have mine set at 16 (front and rear). It's not too harsh, and not too soft- really comfortable for me. If you want something aggressive, set it to 32 (hard). It's not bouncy, but it is stiff. IMO, it's not too bad for daily driving.

Allen
Old 08-01-07, 01:47 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

how cheap are megans? im considering them. how long will they go for?
Old 08-01-07, 02:38 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't been impressed with Tein, so they're out too. I was all excited about the Megan's until I heard their internals are $h!tty quality. Can anyone put these Megan Racing Coilovers on a shock dyno so we can see some empirical results instead of heresay?
yes i will take my coil over off my car and take it to a shock dyno just for you just make your decision and roll with it. Everyone is going to have something bad to say about every product there is, so just because you "heard" they use cheap internal parts dosent mean they do. Get the tiens"btw i heard they leak too" $1500 dollar coilovers fail too.
Old 08-01-07, 03:00 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
yes i will take my coil over off my car and take it to a shock dyno just for you just make your decision and roll with it. Everyone is going to have something bad to say about every product there is, so just because you "heard" they use cheap internal parts dosent mean they do. Get the tiens"btw i heard they leak too" $1500 dollar coilovers fail too.
LMAO.........I pretty much told him the same thing this guy used to nag me on AIM all the time about stuff I eventually had to block him. dejacky you only live once bro.....
Old 08-03-07, 03:16 AM
BBQPork
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, this is the first time I have ever put after market coilovers on a car and was curious about the noise. When I hit bumps in the road it sounds like I am driving over a wooden bridge (best way I can describe it)...kind of a hollow thumping noise. Is this normal or did I F' up the install? I have it set at the softest setting and the tires are about 1 inch away from the fender so I don't think it is rubbing on the fender. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-07, 04:32 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

link to $900 shipped price? How do these compare to the BuddyClub RACING SPEC Dampner coilovers?
WTF Not even close made in Japan > Made in China And buddyclub rsd is monotube. megan is 32 way adjustable but really a true 16 they just let you turn the ***** more times to let you feel better. Dont get me wrong megan is some decent stuff but Buddy club is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better quality and better made. plus what is megans waranty situation? I have buddy club on my sc and have had megans on a 240sx and umm yea hahaha
Old 08-10-07, 07:45 PM
uenolove
Rookie

WHat you guys need to get are hks hiper D, kei office or DG-5. Those suspensions really perform and are proven when used in time attack and drift events. I just got my kei office XT from canada. Im still waitin for em to get here but those are one hella of a rare jdm part to get!! Also theres this brand gtfactory.jp and they got some cheap stuff like 1000$$ but its made for the track definitly. You can watch actual drifting vids of them with that same set up. It might be worth a try!!
Old 08-10-07, 11:39 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Alot of people out here sell kei office

Quick Reply: Megan Racing Coilovers