Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Opinions on lowering options

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 06:32 PM
tjschnei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on lowering options

I have done lots of researching on this and have heard lots of mixed results, so I want to ask about it. I have a '97 SC3 with the 18x8 and 18x9 HP Evo's. I am looking for a drop of about 1.5"-2" but would not like to lose too much in terms of the ride quality. I do not think the Tanabe's will lower it as much as I would like, but with the Espelir's I think it might end up too low from what I have heard might happen, and if I change the shocks also, would I absolutely have to get a camber correction kit. The roads here where I am from are not awful, but there are some bad spots so I need a somewhat stiff shock to keep it from bottoming out a lot. However I have heard all sorts of different opinions about the Tokico's and the KYB's. So I want to know what people would suggest. Coilovers are not completely out of the question, but that will require me to save lots more money for much more time, and I kind of would like to drop the car soon. Basically I would like to have a nice drop to tuck the wheels under just a tiny bit and still have a nice ride when I am cruising but be able to take corners more aggresively. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated.
Old 09-07-06, 08:12 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

I see coilovers in your future.

I don't think there are any springs that will drop 2" without going to coil overs. The 1.5" is more in the range of aftermarket springs from what I have read here on the forum. But if you go that low be prepared for the change in ride quality. That much of a drop will hurt ride quality, especially with low profile tires.
Old 09-08-06, 11:39 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

The Tokico Illumina spring/shock combo sounds like it's in that range. I didn't have the bumpstops put in when I got mine done so it dropped over 2" but if you cut the original bumpstops and put it in it almost definitely be in your range.

I'm probably going to sell mine since I'm selling my car soon, so let me know if you're interested in them.
Old 09-08-06, 05:46 PM
Levistey0
Lead Lap

I think when it comes down to it, it all depends on what you want to do with your car, if you have the money, go with a coilover set-up, that way, if you do decide to take it to the track (drift, autox, etc.) you'll have the basics ready. if you plan on just lowering to ride pretty decent. go with Espelirs, not too stiff, just right.

My brother used to have the same wheels, with Espelirs, and it rode nice. I have the same spring set-up, with 17x9 wheels, and im pleased with it, but i plan to get coilovers very soon. Choose wisely.
Old 09-12-06, 04:49 PM
tjschnei
Driver

And from looking at other SC's sitting at stock height I am wondering if my suspension is sagging because mine seems very low on stock
Old 09-12-06, 05:26 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

front is sagging a little bit.

search NF210 and look for Kratos' pics. He has some good pics of his car on NF's.

The worse the road condition, the better it is to have a softer spring/damper. Stiff = jumping and bouncing on a rough road, the shock not being fully absorbed and instead the stress is being transmitted to the chassis and other suspension components.
Old 09-12-06, 05:32 PM
tjschnei
Driver

I think I am going to go with espelir's and tokico's because those seem to be about what I am looking for without sacrificing too much in terms of ride quality considering the change in suspension, but my one worry is that I will run too much camber or have to change the control arms
Old 09-12-06, 07:01 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjschnei
I think I am going to go with espelir's and tokico's because those seem to be about what I am looking for without sacrificing too much in terms of ride quality considering the change in suspension, but my one worry is that I will run too much camber or have to change the control arms

Hey, i dont htink ur sagging. My ride height is about the same taking into consideration that u have bigger wheels. wut year is ur car? 300 or 400?

i have a 98 sc400, and all of the 98+ sc400's and 300's ive seen are pretty low compared to the pre 97's
Old 09-12-06, 07:04 PM
tjschnei
Driver

its a 97 SC3 on 18's though it still seems lower to me, but who knows I guess
Old 09-12-06, 10:00 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best to go with coilovers. espiler and tokico blue aren't known for being comfy. if you get plain springs and shocks, there is a trade-off for going that low.
Old 09-12-06, 10:07 PM
tjschnei
Driver

yea but I am not sure I want to spend the money on coilovers because I know I will not use the adjustability hardly at all
Old 09-13-06, 05:59 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tjschnei
I am looking for a drop of about 1.5"-2" but would not like to lose too much in terms of the ride quality.
The Supra TT suspension is going to be very close to what you are looking for and can be found for couple hundred bucks.
Old 09-13-06, 01:51 PM
Beerme
Driver School Candidate

i have the tt supra springs with adjustable shocks and it rides nice on the second setting.. just bought the car yesterday so i might be willing to sell them so i can go for a full coilover setup.. let me know if you wanna see some pics of the ride height

Joe
Old 10-05-06, 04:55 AM
ARCHIVES
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok i new around hear, but my queston is lower my sc 1 inc all the way around with the kyb and had it on 19" and they look great, now with that said i wonted the same set up but 20" dose any on know if i have to mod my finder so i dont get that rub hua? or will it even work with 20" and lower?