Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What is exectly causing the brake squeek?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 10:28 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is exectly causing the brake squeek?

Im gonna get some brake parts but i spent money on a damages to my car so im trying to save as much money as i can.

is it the rotor or the pad?

Ill eventually get both pads and rotors but i just want to get rid of the squeek.

edit: i spelt exactly wrong... dont flame me.... [FLAMESUIT ON]

thanks
-speed-
Old 09-18-06, 10:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,014 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Pad and pad installation. Not rotor.

Did you try bedding them in first?
Old 09-18-06, 10:44 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

im dying to figure out what's causing the squeak too! it's soooo annoying that i stopped driving with my windows rolled down so i don't hear it when i come to a stop. i just brought my car in for the 5k service last week and told em about the problem. they said it was glazed or whatever and that they fixed it. i didn't care what it was just as long as the squeal was gone so i said great! n left. i took it around the block and immediately heard the squeak again! i drove a lil more n it went away so i thought oh maybe it's gone for good now. but nope.. it's back to it's old ways now. i knew i shoulda brought it right back into the service bay but after waiting an hour i didn't wanna go back anymore. only thing i can do is just to keep bringing it back but geeze it's so time consuming everytime i gotta make a trip to the dealer.
Old 09-18-06, 11:02 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Pad and pad installation. Not rotor.

Did you try bedding them in first?
i did try bedding them in worked for like 2 days maybe i did it worng...
Old 09-19-06, 08:31 AM
evren
Rookie

would this be the same as this issue:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229742

?
Old 09-19-06, 12:17 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

the sound i hear is not a fart sound but more of a squeal/squeak. sounds like the pads need to be replaced but they don't...
Old 09-19-06, 07:03 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

well EBC has pads out for the 250 so im going with that, hopefully it gets rid of that horid squeek.... my cars squeeking like its ten years old....
Old 09-19-06, 08:42 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

let us know how the ebc works out. the squeal is so embarassing!
Old 09-19-06, 09:07 PM
b3dlam
Driver

hmm...i think it might be good to point out the difference between squeaking and squealing.

Squeaking implies a short, intermittent sound. This would suggest irregular surface contact between the disc rotor and brake pad. imho, this points to a slightly warped disc rotor. If you tend to brake hard for extended periods (spirited driving) then let the car be stationary soon after, i think this would 'cause' the slight warping.

Squealing, otoh, is typically high pitched and constant when the brake is applied. So...i think this problem would suggest that its the brake pads.

just my 2c
Old 09-19-06, 10:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,014 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Rotors don't warp. They get uneven pad deposition, but they really don't warp. Read this by Carroll Smith. He has forgotten more about cars and race cars than most of us could ever hope to know.
Old 09-19-06, 11:10 PM
b3dlam
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Rotors don't warp. They get uneven pad deposition, but they really don't warp. Read this by Carroll Smith. He has forgotten more about cars and race cars than most of us could ever hope to know.
i always thought the same, but i have personally seen a front set of warped stock street rotors. I believe the car was racing around a circuit but crashed. The brakes were still hot, and the pads were seized against the rotor surface. When the rotors were removed and machined, the surface were clearly uneven. On both sets, there was one section (approx the same surface area of the brake pad) required more machining. Even after that, the rotor still vibrated and had uneven pad deposits. After seeing that happen, i have always believed that both front rotors experienced uneven cooling caused the slight warp.

This is obviously quite extreme, but I am thinking that heavy braking (e.g. down a mountain pass) then suddenly stopping might contribute to it. Anyways, this is all just speculation! I may very well be full of ****e...
Old 09-20-06, 12:12 PM
Oum'sIS
Rookie

squeaking can be a result of excess brake dust also. a good hosing/wash might take car of it.
Old 09-20-06, 05:49 PM
meteoro
Pole Position

I took my car in to have the squealing checked out. My suspicion proved to be correct. The front rotors and the brake pads had crystallized, or the term my advisor used "glazed over". The dealer resourfaced the rotors along with giving the pads a good sanding to remove the upper layer that was cyrstallized.
Problem solved.
Old 09-20-06, 06:52 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meteoro
I took my car in to have the squealing checked out. My suspicion proved to be correct. The front rotors and the brake pads had crystallized, or the term my advisor used "glazed over". The dealer resourfaced the rotors along with giving the pads a good sanding to remove the upper layer that was cyrstallized.
Problem solved.
they did the same to mine also, but the squeak came back almost immediately.
Old 09-21-06, 03:56 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So has anybody figured out a way to get rid of the sound yet? Because its driving me nuts!!

Quick Reply: What is exectly causing the brake squeek?