Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

End link bent in half....lol what a piece.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 03:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Also jefftsai, let me know how the welding goes afterwards. I'm worried about the grease inside the rubber boot. Not sure if they'll cook or not.
Old 09-30-06, 11:10 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Also jefftsai, let me know how the welding goes afterwards. I'm worried about the grease inside the rubber boot. Not sure if they'll cook or not.
Well, we're gonna take off the rubber boot and scoop/clean out as much of the grease as possible. Then after we get it all welded together, I'm gonna regrease the balljoint and put the boot back on.

I've got the basic design drawn up in Solidworks. Solid rectangular steel block with two ends milled inwards and holes drilled through for the ball joint housing to sit in. I'll try to get a picture of it on here when I finalize the design.

Should be a fun project and if all goes well I might even make a few extra for whoever want to buy some. Since I know there are no aftermarket end-links for the GS at all, maybe this will get some interest

If anyone wants to donate to the cause, send me your bent/broken endlink for me to experiment on I'll pay for shipping. The pencil thin center rod can be twisted, bent, or snapped in half, but the ball joints need to be in good condition. Any takers PM me
Old 10-02-06, 04:51 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I went under my car today to pull out my ABS/VSS sensor. The wire got cut in half when I had the TRD bar installed upside down. BTW: I resoldered the wire and it's fixed now

Anyways, back on topic....while I was down there I noticed that the end link was bent in half! Looks like I was having a little TOO much fun with the TRD sways lol. Since I don't want too much downtime, I'm just going to order a replacement. Anyone know where the cheapest place to get one at and how much?

My project will be to beef up the end-link Since the end-link is busted anyway, I'm going to take it to my friends machine shop. First I gotta bend the endlink straight, then I'm thinking of getting a thick steel tube and TIG weld it to the end link. Triple the thickness of the pencil thick rod of the stock end-link. Hopefully the "upgraded" piece will be able to withstand my driving style

Update: I went under there and snapped a pic.

Hey I'm going to be getting the TRD Sways installed pretty soon.
I see you say you had yours on upside down. How can you tell which way is up and which way is down. Also If you make any exta beefed up end links I would buy them off of you

Thanks for the information
Ivan
3dog
Old 10-22-06, 09:31 PM
rcyo1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I went under my car today to pull out my ABS/VSS sensor. The wire got cut in half when I had the TRD bar installed upside down. BTW: I resoldered the wire and it's fixed now

Anyways, back on topic....while I was down there I noticed that the end link was bent in half! Looks like I was having a little TOO much fun with the TRD sways lol. Since I don't want too much downtime, I'm just going to order a replacement. Anyone know where the cheapest place to get one at and how much?

My project will be to beef up the end-link Since the end-link is busted anyway, I'm going to take it to my friends machine shop. First I gotta bend the endlink straight, then I'm thinking of getting a thick steel tube and TIG weld it to the end link. Triple the thickness of the pencil thick rod of the stock end-link. Hopefully the "upgraded" piece will be able to withstand my driving style

Update: I went under there and snapped a pic.
i have been wanting to modify the front & rear end-links for my gs. just have no time. i want to build something similar to this.......
check out this on the my.is forum - http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=304685
Old 10-22-06, 10:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by rcyo1
i have been wanting to modify the front & rear end-links for my gs. just have no time. i want to build something similar to this.......
check out this on the my.is forum - http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=304685

that's exactly what I was going to do. Spherical end rods are MUCH MUCH stronger than ball joints. I wanted to make it simple but I can't find too many 10mm inner diameter rods that meets my requirement.

Adjustable is the way to go to adjust preload tension since the driver side will probably weigh more with you sitting in it.

I just haven't had the time to find gather everything since i'm occupied with school and whatnot.

Last edited by GSteg; 10-22-06 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-22-06, 10:18 PM
rcyo1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
that's exactly what I was going to do. Spherical end rods are MUCH MUCH stronger than ball joints. I wanted to make it simple but I can't find too many 10mm inner diameter rods that meets my requirement.

Adjustable is the way to go to adjust preload tension since the driver side will probably weigh more with you sitting in it.

I just haven't had the time to find gather everything since i'm occupied with school and whatnot.

give me some dimensions GSteg, i may be able to find it.

i found some Male or female 10 mm Rod End Heim Joint Link Ball Joints. it is sold on e-bay. i believe there is no e-bay links allowed. i will pm it to you.

Last edited by rcyo1; 10-22-06 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 03:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I've found everything before hand, but instead of using a jackscrew (like the one in the link), I substituted in a coupling nut. The problem is, it's next to impossible to find a metric coupling nut that is long enough.

As long as I find a jackscrew (M10x1.5) that's about 80-90mm long, I can put everything together. If anyone has the time, please find one for me because school is getting in my way and it's dragging the project longer.

Another thing to note is there will be drilling required, but simple ones. Where the 8mm bolt holds the endlink into the lower control arm, you'll need to drill the holes bigger to allow an M10x1.5 bolt. Basically, you're just enlargening the hole, not drilling a new one. the stock M8 bolt is think as a pencil and I rather have something stronger. Plus, the heim joint will have an Inner diamter of 10mm anyways so it'll slide in perfectly. It's either drilling the two hole (front/back), or use 8mm rods, but problem will presend elsewhere.

BTW i'm talking about the rear sway endlinks. I haven't thought much about the front ones yet because it's a bit more complicated.

I'm sure these aftermarket ones are stronger, will last longer, looks cooler (), and will not need maintenance (stock link has grease in it).
Old 10-23-06, 05:04 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i would def buy a set if someone made a bunch of sets .. or heck.. even a group buy
Old 10-24-06, 12:33 PM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

I spoke to some one who know our cars in and out. He said if there is enough of a demand he can make them. He can fabricate any thing. How many people would be interested? Also, since alot of times people say they are interested and never follow through how many are willing to put a deposit?
Let's get this rolling don't need to break another endlink!

1. Fisher503

Last edited by Fisher503; 10-24-06 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-24-06, 01:42 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i kno i financially can't at the moment... in a couple months i'd be able to
Old 10-24-06, 02:09 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fisher503
I spoke to some one who know our cars in and out. He said if there is enough of a demand he can make them. He is a vendor on this site. How many people would be interested? Also, since alot of times people say they are interested and never follow through how many are willing to put a deposit?

1. Fisher503
I would go for it anytime
Old 10-24-06, 04:54 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to some one who know our cars in and out. He said if there is enough of a demand he can make them. He can fabricate any thing. How many people would be interested? Also, since alot of times people say they are interested and never follow through how many are willing to put a deposit?

1. Fisher503

front or rear, and how much we talking here
Old 10-24-06, 05:23 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Fisher503
Well I've got Daizen Sways and I've got a broken link on the rear drivers side. So it is not limited to the front or just to TRD Sways.

I just got two replacements one for each side from Carson Toyota.
That set me back $54 for each

Are you talking about all four or just the front two?
I'm interested. Have you any idea of the cost?

I'm trying to sell a set of TRD Sways but if no one will meet my price I would like to put them on my car. If I do put them on I would really like to have some beefed up end links.

So yes I'm willing but also concerned about how much it would cost.

Ivan
3dog
Old 10-26-06, 02:36 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand why you might want stronger endlinks, but sometimes things are meant to bend and break so other more important pieces don't break.
Old 04-01-09, 10:53 PM
rnsand6kds
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@#%^ it! Just went around a sharp corner tonight (lo and behold there was a pothole there too) and I hear this POW from the rear end. Immediately I think to myself "I bet it's that stupid, weak-*** end link or the nut."

Pull into a gas station and sure as hell the nut is GONE and the end link is bent. I have a Daizen Sway installed (middle adjustment).

Soooooo, no aftermarket end links exist that are stronger than that wimpy POS OEM part. Am I just out $50-60 for a replacement or did anybody ever figure out this part problem?

Maybe Lexus shouldn't have put a "G" on the GS name for this car. Maybe just "S" so nobody goes and tries to drive it like they really want to. LOL.

Thanks,

Ross

Quick Reply: End link bent in half....lol what a piece.