Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC 4 Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 06:52 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 4 Suspension upgrade

Guys,

My suspension is sacked a little I'm sure. My tail is lower than the front and my trusty Lex dealer said "that ain't right, John" after looking at it. She also rides very harsh and I am certain the shocks are shot. He mentioned "Tein" aftermarket components. I read a post about Buddy Club products a while ago that said they rode close to stock with excellent control. Another source said that BC lacked quality. HKS came up as a top performer from one knowledgeable LCer and they priced out at almost $2K. My mind is boggled as I am pathetically dated. I also won't do $2K.

Here is my wish:

Adjustable shocks that can be set at close to stock level of dampening.

Adjustable ride height independent of spring pre-load.

Adjustable pre-load.

Can I do this for less than 2K? Am I dreaming?

Is there a spring and shock combo out there that isn't adjustable that you think I would like? I have installed Tok's and Koni's on a few of my cars and they were great for comp but way to stiff for daily driving. Every Bilstein I have installed amazed me at how soft they rode yet they auto adjusted to whatever I threw at them. Long ago and far away and I'm not sure they are the product they used to be for non comp apps.

So......please help.

Thank you for your opinions

John
Old 09-23-06, 07:17 PM
SC400DRFT
Driver

Check http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...nsion/Coilover this could help your decision...hope it helps
Old 09-23-06, 08:00 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was thinking koni sports w/ swift springs, or bilstein w/ swift springs. all in all, swift springs are the way to go. They make springs for most of the top manufactures. I think HKS, Apexi(used b4 but changed), Zeal, and some others use swift w/ their desired spring rate.
Old 09-24-06, 03:06 PM
millions
Rookie

I have the megan racing ones, and I am very satisfied with the outward construction and the performance under spirited and daily driving. I have not tested them under track conditions, so people very well may be right that they are inferior compared to the more expensive imports... but at the same time I know there are many of these coilovers on other track tested vehicles with no complaints.
Old 09-24-06, 08:17 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Megans 4 SC400

I can't say that I am smart on this topic but thanks to all of you guys I am "smarter. I ordered the Megan Racing coilovers today. I hope to have them installed on Wed. and get a post off shortly thereafter. I thought the reports about failures during competition were primarily of interest to people that stress their equipment to competition levels.

Dejacky finally got it into my head that the Buddy Club items were sprung way harder than I wanted, at least on paper. They looked good though and were cost effective..

The other stuff was, I am sure, is excellent, largely out of my financial reach and biased to far toward the competition side of the house. You get what you pay for.

At one point I was headed to just replacing my sacked springs and putting in new shocks. That was going to set me back $750 and I wasn't comfortable with the shocks. Megan's cost me $150 more and I got a ton of adjustment.

Bottom line is that "you pays your money and takes your chances". I will let all know how the install goes and how they perform out of the box. And if they crap out in six months and it turns out I got screwed , I'll share that with you all as well.

Thank you all for all of your help and especially for your patience with me and my learning curve.

John
Old 09-25-06, 09:07 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

John,
I'm very interested to hear your experience with the Megan Racing Coilovers so please share a review with us when you have time. Good Luck! :

Here is a thread on the Megan Racing coilovers if you haven't read it already:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236606
Old 10-01-06, 01:14 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Megan shipment

Guys,

Don't fall for the Megan offer to expedite your shipment with "AIR FREIGHT". Maybe I should have been smarter than this but I am no shipper. The price bump when I did the order thing was $15 for "2 day air". That sounded cheap and it turns out it was too cheap. The day after I placed my order I got a call telling me that I had only payed the additional charge for "Megan's" handling and that I would have to cough an additional $100 for the air. I told the gent that his add said "free" shipping and that I shouldn't have to pay additional charges for their handling as it was offered. It wasn't a testy conversation and I eventually told them to scrub the air and just truck them the 600 miles from LA to Eugene, Orygun on the I5 corridor, you don't even need an off ramp, straight shot. It took them 5 days to get them out of house and on the truck. Drive time was finally estimated to be 5 days....from LA. Thats 120 miles per day average and they need new trucks. I'm impatient partly because Colonel Oliver North said "patience is the most over rated of all virtues" and the number of speeding tickets I have gotten proves me to be a "true believer".

Hoping for Tuesday.

John