Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake & caliper issues need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06 | 10:36 AM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Default Brake & caliper issues need help

well let me begin by saying I have had this problem for sometime and still haven't had it totally resolved my rear calipers continually stick I have had the both rebuilt new rotors & shims which worked for awhile but I find myself having repeat the lubing of the pinet more often then I think ness like every 3-4 months.They squeak just about everytime Ive driven for about an hour (city Driving) & this is under no braking just cruising 5-10mph so far it getting worse ,to the point I see wear on 3 month old rotors ,and smell the pads after any interstate driving what else can I check Ive taken it to several brake shops and they seem to be just repacing parts because the problem never really has gone Midas, Big Als Mineke could brake lines ,brake accumulator or master cylinder be a problem the brakes have been bled several times i need help
Old 09-26-06 | 12:56 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

You have given indications of the rear brakes pressurizing. When this occurs, the front pads pull away from the rotor normally and the rear pads do not.

A master cylinder leaking within itself may cause this. A hydraulic pressure test of the calipers may be needed to confirm.

A flexible brake line may dry out and crack it's inner pressure tube. The packing between the inner and outer pressure hoses absorbs brake fluid, swells, and creates a one way valve toward the caliper. Pressure from the master cylinder presses the caliper cup into the rotor with normal braking. The bad hose will not allow the fluid to return to the master cylinder as the pressure is released, causing the pads to drag on the rotor. A hydraulic pressure test would indicate the restriction.

Air in the ABS accumulator pump may cause this, if equipped. If the system was opened drained completely, a dealer visit may be needed. They have the service tool needed to bleed the solenoids in the ABS pump.
Old 09-30-06 | 04:09 AM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

are there any visible signs on the rear brake lines like swelling to help identify the hose issue gonna give the dealer a call to set an appointment ,only one dealer in my area fior about 100 miles so gonna give them a try , let you know what happens
Old 09-30-06 | 10:50 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Sometimes, but not always, you might feel a swelling in the hose outer surface.

A pressure gauge would drop to less than zero, indicating a slight vacuum, as the master cylinder sucks back the fluid. Then settle on zero pressure. It's the speed the gauge drops that indicates a hose problem... "almost" instantly would be normal, slower would indicate a blockage.