Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What is the best ''bang for the buck'' suspension upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 05:47 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Sway bars. I recommend Daizen.
This is a question for Natnut, but I think it applies to the main question of this thread. Natnut, I noticed in your sig. that you have the Bilstein HD shock but you receommended the Daizen sways as the best mod for the bucks spent. Does this mean if you wer edoing it all over again that you would do the Daizen sways before the shocks? I am wondering b/c I have already installed the Daizen urethane bushings and have ordered the Bilstein HD shocks but want to keep my smooth ride. did the Bilsteins make the ride any rougher?
Old 10-08-06, 09:58 AM
CRSO
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Well, the rubbing was not with wheels, but the middle section of the exhaust tubes appeared to be very low. With 18" wheels the ride is perfect, pretty much like stock, just looks much better.
Oh... you meant scraping. cool...
Old 10-08-06, 01:35 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasLex
This is a question for Natnut, but I think it applies to the main question of this thread. Natnut, I noticed in your sig. that you have the Bilstein HD shock but you receommended the Daizen sways as the best mod for the bucks spent. Does this mean if you wer edoing it all over again that you would do the Daizen sways before the shocks? I am wondering b/c I have already installed the Daizen urethane bushings and have ordered the Bilstein HD shocks but want to keep my smooth ride. did the Bilsteins make the ride any rougher?
My HDs are also on order as well.

This is my experience with shocks and springs : I started out with stock 16 wheels, installed Daizen sways on my stock car---handling was noticeably better, ride was slightly firmer but still comfortable.

Next, I installed Tanabe NF 210 lowering springs with Bilstein Sports as well as 18 inch forged rims. I regretted that decision. Handling on smooth roads was vastly improved. My friend who drives the previous gen 5 series admitted it had better road holding than his stock car.

However, driving over poor roads was a torture. Also, I kept scraping my front bumper on ramps since my car was lowered. I eventually switched to KYB-gr2s for better ride comfort but at the cost of poorer handling.

When I sold my old GS and bought another 2nd gen, I carried over the wheels and the Daizen sways but kept the springs and shocks stock.I feel the KYBs are too soft for me and I have the HDs on order.

Looking back, I feel the biggest contributors to ride comfort degradation was the 18 inch rims and the Bilstein sports as well as the stiffer lowering springs. I won't give up my rims as they look good so I'm opting for the Bilstein HDs which is a good compromise between the Sports and the KYB-gr2's.I also won't lower my car again.Hearing your lower bumper scrape on ramps and gradients is not pleasant.

Last edited by natnut; 10-08-06 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 02:34 PM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome info., thanks!