Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What to get for New Coilovers???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 10:40 AM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to get for New Coilovers???

Hello boys and girls, I am picking up my new SC in a week and am wondering if there are any other coilovers that anybody has had experience with which are comparable to the Tein CS. I have them on my current SC right now( the gold ones) and I would like to have a little more adjustabilty than my current coilovers have lowering wise. I previously had the Tein Flex's and I liked them a lot but at some times they were just to stiff(girlfriend...) I would say that the Tien CS's are a little too soft but they truly are an amazing coilover for daily driving. I dont know what other options I have with maybe a new company(HKS, Zeal, K-Sport??) or wheter to bite the bullet and buy the new CS's(black bodied ones) it is very appealing to me that these new ones can be rebuilt stateside in case something goes wrong....any info input or help would be greatly appreciated

P.S. I am/will also be rolling on 19"s
Old 10-07-06, 12:12 AM
SC400DRFT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont mind spending a little extra $ go for Silk Road RM-A8 coilovers....they have * 8 step dampening adjustment allows fine-tuning of overall suspension dynamics.
* Inverted strut system substantially enhances rigidity and heat dissipation.
* Includes high-quality pillow ball mounts.
* Adjustable, locking spring perch PLUS adjustable threaded shock body.
* Individual spring rates available for purchase separately.
* Integrated, rubber dust boots maintain performance and enhance durabilty
Old 10-07-06, 12:19 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Look for Zeal by Endless. 32 steps adjustments, and will cost your more bucks for sure! PM me if need a quote.
Old 10-07-06, 01:30 AM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Silk Road or Cusco in my opinion...only the best!
Old 10-07-06, 04:54 AM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

if the suspension is soft, your GF ill be happy, but you on the other hand might be dissatisfied, if you get nice coilovers, your GF will hate riding in your car but you will love driving it. from what i remember the purpose of coilovers isnt for comfort. what it comes down to is priorities. do you care more about having a fun to drive nice handling car, or more about pleasing your GF who doent own the car and isnt paying for the parts.

also, i dont belive u need more than 8 ways of adjustability in dampers. who here can honestly feel a difference between 22 and 23? what ive seen is most people set it full hard, full soft, or 1/2 way.
Old 10-07-06, 09:16 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

yes it is about priorities.

The priorities for a daily driver/street car would be to have a nicer ride.

If your car is not too often driven and see's the track more often, obviously you can get those stiffer coilovers...

remember, you're either driving the SC yourself of it's a passenger car. I like my passengers to enjoy the ride when taking shotgun position so I try my best to give them the environment that's most comfortable.

If you want the best of both worlds, tein superstreet is pretty nice on the roads and goes down lower than the Tein CS. Only thing is that it cannot get as soft as the CS'.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-07-06, 10:20 AM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

HKS hipermax2
Old 10-07-06, 10:57 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Is anyone running an air setup? Ultimate in comfort, and instant adjustability. Lets say you're taking your girl out for a night on the town at this uber nice place, and their driveway is a nightmare, not to mention they have speedbumps, and a mandatory valet parking. With air you can just pump it up, and have no worries about the valet dude wrecking you ride... With coilovers all you can do is tip him before and after, and hope your bumper stays on.
Old 10-07-06, 06:24 PM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by megadeth
HKS hipermax2
very nice coilovers i had the old school ones on my other lexus, 10 way yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 10-07-06, 06:39 PM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Great Input Everybody!!! I do appreciate this I have to agree that is it all about the priorities in life, but i do like the idea of keeping the few passengers i may have somewhat happy. I idealy would like the stiff aspect "on demand" so I could just tighten my dampers down when I'm feeling my inner "Ueno" come out and otherwise keep it daily drivable softy. I like the whole EDFC aspects on the Teins but the stiffest setting on the CS's is still floaty on some hard corners and I am willing to venture out of my 4 year commitment to Tein. I know its the coilovers cause I've done all the bushings(Daizens) and I got 265's out back(plenty of rubber). Can anybody truly speak on the past set ups rims, tires, and maybe even spring rates??? Gotta love the CL Crew...
Old 10-07-06, 06:43 PM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by emoshun
Is anyone running an air setup? Ultimate in comfort, and instant adjustability. Lets say you're taking your girl out for a night on the town at this uber nice place, and their driveway is a nightmare, not to mention they have speedbumps, and a mandatory valet parking. With air you can just pump it up, and have no worries about the valet dude wrecking you ride... With coilovers all you can do is tip him before and after, and hope your bumper stays on.
I love the Air runner Suspension I rode in a GS430 on the air runner it was amazing except for the price... install is soo smooth and simple though very very well made product and excellent warrenty on em'. Only problem with air though is that it cant be compared to the "on the rails" type feelings of coilovers
Old 10-08-06, 12:49 AM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BeanTWNSC3
Great Input Everybody!!! I do appreciate this I have to agree that is it all about the priorities in life, but i do like the idea of keeping the few passengers i may have somewhat happy. I idealy would like the stiff aspect "on demand" so I could just tighten my dampers down when I'm feeling my inner "Ueno" come out and otherwise keep it daily drivable softy. I like the whole EDFC aspects on the Teins but the stiffest setting on the CS's is still floaty on some hard corners and I am willing to venture out of my 4 year commitment to Tein. I know its the coilovers cause I've done all the bushings(Daizens) and I got 265's out back(plenty of rubber). Can anybody truly speak on the past set ups rims, tires, and maybe even spring rates??? Gotta love the CL Crew...
i had tein on my fd3s and i hated them cuz i came from having hks hipermax on my sc to gettin tein ra's on my rx7 i was very dissatisfied
Old 10-08-06, 08:56 PM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Boostshakalaka
i had tein on my fd3s and i hated them cuz i came from having hks hipermax on my sc to gettin tein ra's on my rx7 i was very dissatisfied
whyd you hate the ra's??? I have heard that they are really stiff from some people is this true??? only teins i've had experience with is the flex's and the Cs's both are good qaulity, but but completely different styles of coilovers dampening(stiffness wise)...
Old 10-08-06, 11:53 PM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

they were pretty stiff, but i wasnt a fan of the valving, so even though the ride was stiff, the dampers felt really sloppy