Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

crashed the sc :(- broken tie rod.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 12:39 AM
ant1k
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default crashed the sc :(- broken tie rod.

im just wondering if i should just get rid of my car, recently i had just installed the silk roads on my car, awesome suspension, but i had it on the stiffest setting so i guess that made the car more likely to slide, well thats what happened i slide out of control and nailed both of my rear rims on a curb.

it snapped the bolt on the right tie rod and bent the right traction arm while also bending the left tie rod bolt. so one side of the car the wheel looks like it has some super negative camber and the other side since its like theres no tie rod , the hub is floating . . .

just wondering if i should even try to fix it. does any one know how much those parts are or if i can just change the bolts or what. . . . need input pls.
Old 10-25-06, 12:51 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Likely have some damage to the steering rack if you hit that hard and being a very big and heavy unit it's hard to get a deal on them from outrageous shipping costs.
Old 10-25-06, 01:09 AM
ant1k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Likely have some damage to the steering rack if you hit that hard and being a very big and heavy unit it's hard to get a deal on them from outrageous shipping costs.
well one of my friends was supposedly supposed to lend me his spare tie rods and i was gonna see if that was gonna fix it. but for now the car is just sitting on the street. i mainly hit the rear end of the car though. just the two rear rims took the blunt end of the blow. so im hoping that its just those rods . . .
Old 10-25-06, 06:18 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mines got hit the same way but i think mines had positive camber from hitting the curb .the bodyshop that i took it to said thats an easy fix .like olt said steering rack might be dead .kusk ask aligna or rj if they have a steering rack they probably have tons .for the suspensoin in just gonna change the complete front to the supra suspension instead of getting lexus ones . i think my suspension was too stiff in the rear also ,thats why i went sliding too good luck with fix though
Old 10-25-06, 05:58 PM
ant1k
Lead Lap

ok stupid question now. . . what is the steering rack and what does it look like ?
Old 10-25-06, 06:54 PM
DHBomber
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about the steering rack. The manual refers to the parts you need as the strut rod... and Rear No.1 lower suspension arm.
Check out toyotaworld.com.
Sus arm retail $117.81 CT-$100.14
Strut rod retail $105.53 CT-$89.70
Old 10-25-06, 11:51 PM
ant1k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DHBomber
Don't worry about the steering rack. The manual refers to the parts you need as the strut rod... and Rear No.1 lower suspension arm.
Check out toyotaworld.com.
Sus arm retail $117.81 CT-$100.14
Strut rod retail $105.53 CT-$89.70
those come with the bushings right??? damn i need two of each !!! because both side got bent. thats like 4 bills right there
Old 10-27-06, 01:05 AM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

dont quit, quitting is for wusses, also dont keep it on the stiffest setting anymore cuz it's harder to feel what the tires and road are trying to tell you,

if your steering rack is fine, you may still want to change out the bushing, you can find it here
http://www.tmengineering.net/suspens...n/make/sc.html

since your gonna end up spending quite a bit on the rods, you might as well go get the battle version ones(this way you end up paying like 100 bucks more than you would for stock parts, but u get nice aftermarket stuff), you wont have to worry about bushings cuz they use heim joints(which ROCK MY WORLD), you can find them here under MKIV products
http://www.battleversion.com/
Old 10-27-06, 02:01 AM
ant1k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Boostshakalaka
dont quit, quitting is for wusses, also dont keep it on the stiffest setting anymore cuz it's harder to feel what the tires and road are trying to tell you,

if your steering rack is fine, you may still want to change out the bushing, you can find it here
http://www.tmengineering.net/suspens...n/make/sc.html

since your gonna end up spending quite a bit on the rods, you might as well go get the battle version ones(this way you end up paying like 100 bucks more than you would for stock parts, but u get nice aftermarket stuff), you wont have to worry about bushings cuz they use heim joints(which ROCK MY WORLD), you can find them here under MKIV products
http://www.battleversion.com/
so no more friggen ball joints huh. well damn thats like 550 for the two sets of arms. wow! well ill definitly keep those in consideration. idk what im gonna do right now though. i may be a wuss
Old 11-04-06, 01:30 AM
ant1k
Lead Lap

ok, working on taking out the tie rod, but there is the rubber exhaust hanger preventing the bolt from being removed, how do i take the thing off???