Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY Daizen Steering Rack Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 10:45 PM
Danarist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xplosion79
I ordered the bushings from TM Engineering on 3/21 and received them on 3/29. Not too bad I guess.
How did you pay for it? By money order or by card?
Old 04-12-10, 11:13 AM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished replacing my rack bushings. 99 GS400 with 97K mi. At first I felt the difference. Nice improvement. By the time I finished a test drive down the local twisty road (old spicewood springs rd) I was used to it. Not a dramatic difference but still worth doing.

Discovered several things while doing it. First, when you use a screwdriver to pound out the metal sleeved bushings, use a screwdriver that is just a little bit larger than the metal flange. You're trying to push the metal, not the entire bushing. If you use too big a screwdriver, you cant hit it hard enough to get it out. Smaller screwdriver, you can just tap it out.

Second, 48 ft lbs seemed like a bit too much for the lower brace. I felt like I was about to strip the bolts. I will probably retorque them to 43 next time I'm under the car.

Third, for the metal sleeved bushings, you can pull them together as you're tightening them into place. If you have trouble getting the bolts lined up, just turn the wheels.

BTW, the diy instructions in this thread were great.
Old 04-12-10, 12:18 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

My old bushings were sort of still in one piece so using a small screwdriver would give the same result. The whole bushing wants to pull out with the metal sleeve. it does give more room to hit the screwdriver, but that was the only one I had laying around.

The 48ftlbs was pulled off of the Lexus manual. Of course accuracy of torque wrench, age of the bolt, whether or not the bolt was dry, etc all comes into play. Most important thing is to just feel whether the bolt will strip or not. In this case, hand tighten would have suffice.

It's a pretty good mod for the money. I hated how loose my steering was and with no OEM replacement in short of buying a new rack, these were the next best solution.
Old 04-12-10, 01:09 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had these bushings in the garage for over a 1.5 years now. I guess it is time to install them some time this year or sell them lol..
Old 05-25-10, 02:58 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Anybody want to send me their old bushings so I can confirm IS and GS are the same?

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 05-26-10, 02:33 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

^^someone send them.... pretty please
Old 05-26-10, 04:48 PM
FSRacing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FIGS
Anybody want to send me their old bushings so I can confirm IS and GS are the same?

Fig
FIGS, this PREngineering from my.is//, I bought these awhile back. I never got around to trying the left side bushings, but I know the right side clamp style one isn't the same, it fits, but its skinner? wider? I don't remember, but either way width wise it isn't the same as the IS300s, but it "works", I have had it in for awhile. Can post pictures if interested.

-Joe
Old 05-28-10, 06:46 PM
Travman113
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dude, this helps me out big time
Old 06-18-10, 12:30 PM
Brit6
Driver School Candidate

If anyone is interested, i just ordered the 3 steering rack bushings made by TRD straight from Japan, the cost was $30+20+$20+$40 Shipping from Japan = $110. Id rather go with the rubber than polyurathane for the stock feel.
Old 07-28-10, 01:56 PM
Brit6
Driver School Candidate

You know what's strange, according to this diagram, look at item #2 it looks to be the bushing that we are looking for? How come it is listed as an oem lexus/toyota part now?

#3 was always available from Toyota.

Old 08-03-10, 06:16 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the gs ones fit the is300 as well?
Old 11-05-10, 08:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

48ftlbs is OEM torque spec. I torqued mine to that spec and haven't had a problem for years.

Hell some people get away with hand tightening.
Old 11-05-10, 09:19 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks. i deleted my post because i went through the thread again and figered out what i was going to torque them at. awesome walk-through. I received my kit today, so i'm probably gonna do this tomorrow morning.

btw: i ordered my Daizen kit from TM Engineering on 11/1 and received on 11/4. shipped Priority mail. sweet

Last edited by MIGS; 11-05-10 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-28-11, 08:48 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

Does the Daizen kit come with the metal sleeves for the bushings, or are you supposed to re-use the exiting sleeves?

i ordered my Daizen kit from TM Engineering , was not able to get a email reply from them on this question.

The 1st page of this thread shows what looks like metal sleeves that are new.
Also looks like the metal sleeves that the bushing goes around comes with the kit.

as you can see above the kit I got does not have the sleeves.

My car was already at the shop to do all the bushings and this meant an extra day wasted for Sewell to ship an armstrong kit that did have the sleeves as part of the kit.

As much as I'm very disappointed in TM ENg and Daizen both have shown utter neglect of their customer.
After unsuccessfully trying to get some answers or get the situation resolved with either of these companies I had to go and overnight the kit from Sewell which in the end was $80 extra plus now I have a $39 kit from Daizen that seems useless.

My hats off to the guys at Sewell that were able to fill my order and answered all my questions.
Which one of which was "Do you have the Daizen kit and does it come with metal sleeves?"

The answers was "no we no longer deal with Daizen due to supply issues".

My First impression on doing all the bushing kits, Steering Column, Camber Bushings, and sway bars.

Steering is slightly more taunt with a lot less play in the wheel. There is absolutely no loss of luxury the car is no harsher on any surface then prior to changing out the 110,000 Mile OEM bushings. Which in my case did not look to bad, read: California Garage Kept.

My biggest hope is this will solve my inside tire wear, only time will tell. I did do the ball joints about 30K miles ago and they were still good this time around.

Folks be warned TM Engineering might ship you a kit with missing parts. Don't even bother trying to contact them. It nearly impossible.

TM-Engineering if you are listening. I have purchased from you in the past and despite all the flack you take on this board was a faithful customer. You don't build that relationship by ignoring any attempted contact by your customers when problems arise. This is the surest way to not only lose reputation but also repeat business.

I will probably have to open a dispute with VISA.

Last edited by alexulan; 03-30-11 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 11:41 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexulan
My hats off to the guys at Sewell that were able to fill my order
Here's an alternative: a polyurethane steering rack bushing offered from Armstrong Distributors. We've been selling these for a while now and are currently in stock for those of you who might need them.

Darrel

Quick Reply: DIY Daizen Steering Rack Bushing