Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY Daizen Steering Rack Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 07:05 PM
David1969
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It must have been the site as i tried to order pretty late at night. Anyway, got my order in and can't wait to put them in. Got someone to install them for me for $150.00 which includes rack alignment and adjusting pretensioner.
Old 12-21-06, 07:34 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Default Link to Sewell GS bushing kit

Your link points to Bushing Kit for SC, and not GS. However Sewell Lexus website does not explicitly specify its for SC..

The GS kit is here, and cost USD 40
http://lexus-parts.com/partdetail.as...bCategoryID=85

Originally Posted by David1969
When i try to add the item to my cart, it says that there's nothing in it. I'm using the following link http://lexus-parts.com/partdetail.as...bCategoryID=85

Is anyone else getting an error when trying to add to the cart and proceeding to checkout?
Old 12-21-06, 07:40 PM
pardo
Pole Position

I got it installed this morning at Exact Motorsport, by John.
I was lucky that John has some GS kit in stock, since I bought the SC kit from Sewell...
I think I bought the last one from Exact

Now my GS drives a lot straight, gives me a lot more confidence over bumpy highway road (680 in bay area), with much better steering feel... I used to own an IS300, now my GS drives very close to my IS (steering-wise). Two thumbs up for this mod
Old 12-21-06, 08:43 PM
David1969
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pardo
Your link points to Bushing Kit for SC, and not GS. However Sewell Lexus website does not explicitly specify its for SC..

oh snap! that was the link in the first page that stated they were $29.99. Do those fit or did the OP make a mistake in pointing us to the wrong part #?
Old 12-21-06, 08:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by pardo

Wow that's just wrong

Sewell actually listed the S1-2030 under the GS section I went to the GS400 section and they had it listed there so I assumed they were the right ones. I hope Sewell corrects this!
Old 12-21-06, 08:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

oh snap! that was the link in the first page that stated they were $29.99. Do those fit or did the OP make a mistake in pointing us to the wrong part #?
It was listed under the GS section on Sewell's website so it was assumed that they were the right ones!!

looks like they just corrected it
Old 12-21-06, 08:56 PM
David1969
Pole Position

Damnit. I just ordered the part and have the confirmation number. i hope i can correct this in time before it ships.

UPDATE:

I sent an email and Darrel was able to figure out that i had made a mistake based on the information (included my VIN number) which i provided when i placed my order. Got my item the next day. Outstanding customer service & support. A big THANK YOU to Darrel at Sewell Lexus in Big D.

Last edited by David1969; 12-22-06 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-22-06, 06:04 PM
GSV8
Driver

I am another victim of this web site mess-up. I even specified in my website order that I had a 98 GS400 and supplied the vin and I still got the SC sent to me. They are sending another one though. I CAN'T WAIT to get this installed. I have 140 on the clock and this mod has gotten so much positive press.
Old 12-22-06, 06:08 PM
GSV8
Driver

Damnit. I just ordered the part and have the confirmation number. i hope i can correct this in time before it ships.

UPDATE:

I sent an email and Darrel was able to figure out that i had made a mistake based on the information (included my VIN number) which i provided when i placed my order. Got my item the next day. Outstanding customer service & support. A big THANK YOU to Darrel at Sewell Lexus in Big D.
I wish Darrel picked up my call because Ryan did not offer to next day for me. Dayum.
Old 12-22-06, 07:53 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Hey i just purchased an Gs 400 platinum and whenever I accelerate I get an quick tug on the steering wheel (kinda scary) also I get vibration at 60mph I just had new wheels put on they also was balanced should I replace all my bushing or which ones should I replace the car has 150k
Old 12-23-06, 12:25 AM
StockGS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 400 Degrez
Hey i just purchased an Gs 400 platinum and whenever I accelerate I get an quick tug on the steering wheel (kinda scary) also I get vibration at 60mph I just had new wheels put on they also was balanced should I replace all my bushing or which ones should I replace the car has 150k
If you're getting vibration at 60k maybe you should asked the shop to double check the balance on the wheels or make sure there is nothing wrong with your tires

Last edited by StockGS400; 12-23-06 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-06-07, 12:17 PM
David1969
Pole Position

Just installed my set of Daizen steering rack bushings.

Impressions:

Once the bushings were removed i compared them to the Daizens. No comparison at all. The stock bushings are rubber and very flimsy. The Daizens are urethane and are much firmer; noticeably different. The 60 mph shake is still there, but not as bad. It looks like i'm going to have to try and adjust the pretensioner too to see if that helps cure/eliminate the 60 mph shake. I also do not appear to drift as much in the lane as i previously did. It seems to have cured the drifting problem, but not the shaking as there is still a slight shake on the steering wheel which is still noticeable.

It also turns out that 1 of my tires is not perfectly round. It appears to have been damaged at some point prior to me taking delivery of the car. I rotated the tire to the back and the vibration is nearly gone.
Old 01-07-07, 08:50 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Default Way worth the money and time

I just installed my set yesterday. Piece of cake to install. Instead of the small screw driver and pliers, I went with the biggest flat head I could find and a rubber mallet to get the driver side pressed bushings out. Seemed to come out pretty easy this way. After that it was a breeze.

Impressions so far, lets put it this way I was driving the car @ 70-80 on the highway and it took no effort at all. I mean before I had all ten fingures to hold and and white nuckle the wheel. Not anymore. If anyone is on the fence about this....its way worth the time and money. If your in the Houston area swing by and I will install for you. Its that easy.

Last edited by Dukespeed; 01-07-07 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-10-07, 12:01 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed my today and think they bring the steering back to brand new status . A couple of recommendations to the install illustrated above. Make sure you don't tighten up the drivers side bolts until you have the passenger side bolts threaded in a bit. Basically once you put all the bushings in, I would recommend getting all the bolts started then go back and tighten up the passenger side then the drivers side. Also, I would recommend installing both bushings on the drivers side then put in the metal sleeve with a dab of grease and then tap them in until you can get the bolts started on the tread. Other than that install is a piece of cake. I would like to thank GSteg for a very informative DIY install. I used it exclusively and most likely would not have tried this myself without your DIY. A big for you.
Old 02-10-07, 05:56 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 400 Degrez
Originally Posted by StockGS400
If you're getting vibration at 60k maybe you should asked the shop to double check the balance on the wheels or make sure there is nothing wrong with your tires
Hey if you got aftermarket wheels do you have 'Hub Centric Rings'? If not, get some and that should get rid of your vibrations at 60. Also did you get a wheel alignment done after you put the wheels on?

Quick Reply: DIY Daizen Steering Rack Bushing