Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

electronic steering??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06, 04:28 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question electronic steering??

this is my third day driving my car (97 SC300 5-speed). a few days ago, i noticed that i would have to fight the steering wheel to keep it going straight. I thought hmmm.. maybe the buy i bought it from stiffed me...

i wasn't sure because i was on a road where a section had just been repaved. but sure enough, when i was on some decent roads the steering kept on fighting....i was starting to get pissed.missalignment?? I had already paid $9500 for the car and i didn't have anything to get it re tuned.

today: drove to school. i pulled in to the parking lot finding it full of early bird voters. my steering was partially turned to the right a i was sitting there as some one was backing out. suddenly the wheel starts going back and forth on its own. it was subtle at first, but i realized soon enough that it wasnt the suspension but the steering its self...thank god

now tht my story is done heres the Q: is there a wire or something that can disable this stupid steering thing or is the solution located elsewhere?
Old 11-07-06, 04:31 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

what in the world are you talking about???

our sc's do not have any sort of electronic steering at all... they have hydraulic assist power steering, but unless something is screwed bad, it wouldn't cause the steering wheel to shake back and forth at a dead stop...

vibration in steering at a stop = motor mounts
vibration in steering while driving = bad tire (low speed) / out of balance (high speed)
pulling to one side = out of alignment, bad tire, or worn suspension bushings
Old 11-08-06, 05:57 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Default alrighty....not electronic my B

well there goes that. i drove it to school in the soaking rain and did notice it liked going left just a bit, but it still would go right as well. As for the weird turning issues when at a stop, it still did it today, but not as much as yesterday. It still feels like its possessed or something. I checked the service records and it looks like it may need new bushings in the coming months. The wheels are aftermarket 18s and are balanced and the tires don't looked bad in terms of unusual wear. Any more thoughts?
Old 11-08-06, 06:53 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mitsuguy already said, our steering is hydraulically assisted power steering. If you have issues at a stop like you're saying.....your pump has some major issues. Either that or maybe you need an exorcist.
Old 11-08-06, 02:39 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Pay $80 for an alignment (or $120 at lexus...). If that doesnt fix it, it might be the tires and the steering rack bushings tend to go out fairly regularly (any rubber product on the entire car). Also you might do a normal check of fluids and such as well.