Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake pads and rotors at 14.6k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 02:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

It's absolute crap that they claim this is normal. The TT Supra has 315mm discs with exactly the same technology - four piston calipers, curved vanes, directional fitment, and with the OEM pads, we typically saw new brakes around 100k km (62,000 miles) on cars that weigh within 100kg (220 lbs) of each other on very similar tire sizes.

The things we didn't have on the Supra - EBFD and brake assist - I don't know about you guys, but it's taken me some time to get used to brakes that give me more than what I asked for on a regular basis. I learned threshold braking roadracing motorcycles where locking wheels has significant negative consequences, so I really DISlike a braking system that constantly second guesses me.

There is nothing in the repair manual that says the discs cannot be resurfaced. In fact:

If the runout exceeds the maximum value, change the installation positions of the disc and axle so that the runout will become minimal. If the runout exceeds the maximum even when the installation positions are changed, check the bearing play in the axial direction and the axle hub runout (See page AH-6). If the bearing play and the axle hub runout are normal and if the disc thickness is not within the specified range, grind the disc. If the disc thickness is less than the minimum, replace the disc.
All this talk about warping is quite contrary to what I know about brakes, and what Stoptech says about brakes. Discs don't warp. You may have uneven pad deposits making it feel warped, but the discs themselves don't warp. Carroll Smith seems to be of the same opinion, and he's forgotten more about high performance cars than the sum of us know.

Last but not least, price the brakes on an Evo or STI. $1000 in parts (discs and pads) for the front axle alone. It was one of the key decision makers for me when I considered these cars.

Parting shot - Brakes are for the timid.
Old 11-17-06, 03:19 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
All this talk about warping is quite contrary to what I know about brakes, and what Stoptech says about brakes. Discs don't warp. You may have uneven pad deposits making it feel warped, but the discs themselves don't warp.
Agree, but you've got to heat up the pads and rotors fairly significantly to start getting those pad deposits.

Like I mentioned before, it's probably a manufacturing/QC issues or the lug nuts were improperly torqued.

Either way, they shouldn't do that in at least this early.
Old 11-17-06, 11:50 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Agree, but you've got to heat up the pads and rotors fairly significantly to start getting those pad deposits.

Like I mentioned before, it's probably a manufacturing/QC issues or the lug nuts were improperly torqued.

Either way, they shouldn't do that in at least this early.
all these talks about brake problem is getting me worried. mine only has 7000 miles on it, but I did autocross it twice. would this have any major effect?
also, all these talk about proper torquing the lugnuts. can someone tell me what the proper torque should be? i never knew that improper torquing would lead to these problems! thanks.
Old 11-18-06, 01:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

76 ft-lbs. Hot braking wears discs less than cold braking. It wears pads faster, but not discs usually. I wouldn't be worried about a couple of autocrosses.
Old 11-18-06, 02:39 AM
Domo-Kun
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, this is bullsh1t!

My 01 IS300 was driven like there was no tomorrow (i.e. I drove it very very aggressively) and did not have to replace the brakepads until 79000 miles! And this was for the rear pads! The front lasted another 8000 miles. If this is the service interval for the new IS for it's brakepads then it is very disappointing. 15k miles for a set of pads? Might as well have bought a sentra with the same sh1tty warped rotors and poor brakepad wear.
Old 11-18-06, 07:04 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, who can afford brakepads and rotors every 15k?

My clutch better last a VERY long time.... all my money is going to be sucked down in tires and brakes.