Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension Change to fix rough ride?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-06, 06:46 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension Change to fix rough ride?

Over the past few months, I have noticed that I seem to have a terrible ride in my 98 GS. It seems like I am always picking up some vibration in the steering wheel, seats, and even sun visors if they are open. I have also noticed that my alignment seems to be out of whack constantly. Even after getting it realigned by NTB, it is out within a few days. At this point in time, I think many of my problems are stemming from the suspension setup I have on my car, so I am thinking about replacing the shocks and springs. Do you think this would help? What should I replace it with? I currently am looking into giving this car to my wife, so I would like something that has a comfortable ride but does not "float" across the road.

Here is my current setup:

L-Tuned Springs
Bilstein Shocks
TRD Sways (blue)
TRD lower brace
New tie rods and ball joints

Everything but l-tuned springs have been installed within the last year.

I guess my main question is if I want a very comfortable ride without any vibration while maintaining the feel for the road, what should I install? Go back to the factory springs and shocks? Put coilovers on? Or could there be something else causing my problem?

BTW, I did tighten the steering rack last week...and although my steering wheel does not move as much, you can still feel the car shaking.
Old 11-23-06, 09:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Daizen control arm bushing and steering rack bushing.

Other than that, revert back to stock. I have L-tuned springs also and the ride isn't rough/bone-jarring.
Old 11-27-06, 07:41 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah as GSteg said, your bushings are probably shot. Get those replaced and if you still have a good deal of money left over get the Tein CSv2

Oh yeah, the TRD sways are going to add quite a bit of ridigity/stiffness to your car over bumps. If you want more of a Lexus cushy ride, switch back to stock or at least a less aggressive set like the Daizens.
Old 11-28-06, 06:10 PM
David1969
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Daizen control arm bushing and steering rack bushing.

What's the cost of replacing these items? How much for labor? (guesstimate)

I hate the shake at 60 too. After adjusting the pre-tensioner, if i still have the tune i'm going to replace the above mentioned items.
Old 11-28-06, 07:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

if your car shakes aronud 60mph, then you should rebalance your tires first. It's the cheapest route.
Old 11-28-06, 09:13 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stupid 60 mph shake... haha
Old 12-01-06, 11:25 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with GSteg. That is deffinatelly the route I am heading. The allignment getting out of whack, I have a theory for that. Same crap keeps happening to me. I think it is that the castor arm bushings are worn, and need to be replaced. When they do an allignment, the car is static, and those bushings don't move, so they allign it fine. Once you get on the road, arm displaces a little, and say goodbuy to your fresh allignment.
Old 12-01-06, 11:28 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slickgt1
I agree with GSteg. That is deffinatelly the route I am heading. The allignment getting out of whack, I have a theory for that. Same crap keeps happening to me. I think it is that the castor arm bushings are worn, and need to be replaced. When they do an allignment, the car is static, and those bushings don't move, so they allign it fine. Once you get on the road, arm displaces a little, and say goodbuy to your fresh allignment.
I think that is a good theory. It looks like I will be replacing all the bushings as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for all of you input.
Old 12-01-06, 12:56 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, I have a buddy at the allignment shop and alway mess around with my settings the way I like. I noticed it once, when we did my allignment, we went on a litttle ride. As soon as we came back, I asked him if we can somehow get more negative camber up front. We reconnected the lasers, and guess what, by castor was off like crazy, I mean completely in the red - out of spec. We started moving the casor rod, and the allignment was changing, a lot. My pass side is completely shot, it would not return to spec by itself at all. Or anywhere near spec.